Should I get a warranty for a PS2???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc_Savoie, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Marc_Savoie

Marc_Savoie Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

I'm buying a Playstation 2 tomorrow afternoon and was wondering if I should bother buying a warranty for it (I'm getting it at Future Shop, in Canada obviously). I would hate to have to buy an entire new console (this being my first console... ever! - shock of all shocks) if something happened.

So is a warranty worthwhile - is it just a waste of money? And how much would they usually cost, how long do they last? Pardon my sounding like a video game virgin... but I am one.
    Thank you.

2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

With most electronic equipment, it's either going to fail almost immediately, or after a long time. Which is why I never both getting the extra warrantys that the stores offer me. If it's going to fail, the manufacturers warranty is going to pick it up.

EB wanted to charge me $50 for a second year on my PS2, and $75 for three years. I declined.

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

4. Marc_Savoie

I've been reading that thread too Brian, and it does worry me a tad.

However, $50 or $75 for a 2 or 3 year warranty is a lot of money, although perhaps very worthwhile. I'm guessing that the PS2 comes with a default 1 year warranty then?
    Despite the problems some people have had - I tend to suffer from the "meh, it won't happen to me" syndrome. None of my friends PS2's have ever had problems, nor has most of my electronic equipment. I take very good care of my possessions, but alas a PS2 glitch can be well beyond my control...

Keep the opinions coming! Thanks.

5. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

Unfortunately the PS2 comes with a 90 day warranty only if I remember correctly. So, although I have had no trouble with mine which I got on launch day, it might be a good idea to think about the extended warranty.

6. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

i know someone who has had theirs for only 4 months and stopped reading any disks that had something other than the silver bottom. all of thier blue/purple/gold bottom disks would no longer work.

7. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I have NEVER had a game console break on me. I've had most of them since an atari and I've never had a problem. I think extended warranties are a waste of money. Thats just my opinion though. I'm under the belief that if it doesn't break within the first few days then as long as I take care of it it will last until its obsolete.

8. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

I went through 2 PS2's , the 1st one went 2 weeks after I purchased it. I returned it to the store for a replacement but this went went belly up.Same problem with the lense.I didn't want to spend the $119(sony's service center price)it cost to fix it so I went with the Xbox.I highly recommend an extended warranty. I have never bought an extended warranty on consoles before.

9. BrianB

BrianB Producer

10. Marc_Savoie

Well I hummed and hawed and broke down and got a 2 year warranty (expire June 8, 2004).
    Better safe than sorry I guess.... or better broke than sorry now. [​IMG]

11. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

12. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I had a PS1 bite the dust on me a long time ago and I didn't enjoy paying the $80.00 to have it fixed. I usually buy some sort of policy now just to avoid that again.
    -Andre F

13. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

i take very good care of my stuff too, my stuff stays dusted, not moved much at all, never gets dropped etc. and i had my ps2 for 4 months when it went bad. so the "if it doesnt instantly break its ok" idea isnt always a good one.

14. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Just say no to extended warranties.