What's new

Should I get a warranty for a PS2??? (1 Viewer)

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,

I'm buying a Playstation 2 tomorrow afternoon and was wondering if I should bother buying a warranty for it (I'm getting it at Future Shop, in Canada obviously). I would hate to have to buy an entire new console (this being my first console... ever! - shock of all shocks) if something happened.

So is a warranty worthwhile - is it just a waste of money? And how much would they usually cost, how long do they last? Pardon my sounding like a video game virgin... but I am one.
Thank you.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
With most electronic equipment, it's either going to fail almost immediately, or after a long time. Which is why I never both getting the extra warrantys that the stores offer me. If it's going to fail, the manufacturers warranty is going to pick it up.

EB wanted to charge me $50 for a second year on my PS2, and $75 for three years. I declined.

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
I've been reading that thread too Brian, and it does worry me a tad.

However, $50 or $75 for a 2 or 3 year warranty is a lot of money, although perhaps very worthwhile. I'm guessing that the PS2 comes with a default 1 year warranty then?
Despite the problems some people have had - I tend to suffer from the "meh, it won't happen to me" syndrome. None of my friends PS2's have ever had problems, nor has most of my electronic equipment. I take very good care of my possessions, but alas a PS2 glitch can be well beyond my control...

Keep the opinions coming! Thanks.

ChrisV

Second Unit
Unfortunately the PS2 comes with a 90 day warranty only if I remember correctly. So, although I have had no trouble with mine which I got on launch day, it might be a good idea to think about the extended warranty.

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
i know someone who has had theirs for only 4 months and stopped reading any disks that had something other than the silver bottom. all of thier blue/purple/gold bottom disks would no longer work.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I have NEVER had a game console break on me. I've had most of them since an atari and I've never had a problem. I think extended warranties are a waste of money. Thats just my opinion though. I'm under the belief that if it doesn't break within the first few days then as long as I take care of it it will last until its obsolete.

Stephen L

Second Unit
I went through 2 PS2's , the 1st one went 2 weeks after I purchased it. I returned it to the store for a replacement but this went went belly up.Same problem with the lense.I didn't want to spend the $119(sony's service center price)it cost to fix it so I went with the Xbox.I highly recommend an extended warranty. I have never bought an extended warranty on consoles before.

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
Well I hummed and hawed and broke down and got a 2 year warranty (expire June 8, 2004).
Better safe than sorry I guess.... or better broke than sorry now. ;)

Andre F

Screenwriter
I had a PS1 bite the dust on me a long time ago and I didn't enjoy paying the $80.00 to have it fixed. I usually buy some sort of policy now just to avoid that again.
-Andre F

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
i take very good care of my stuff too, my stuff stays dusted, not moved much at all, never gets dropped etc. and i had my ps2 for 4 months when it went bad. so the "if it doesnt instantly break its ok" idea isnt always a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks