What's new

Help with new receiver (Harman Kardon)... (1 Viewer)

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, so I just received a refurbished Harman Kardon 230 from their online store (can't beat $300 with full warranty) and I'm pretty happy with it. Sound is great, plenty of inputs, seems to have plenty of power for my system...However, there are a couple niggles that are bugging me.

- I have DVD player, satellite, Xbox, and PS2 hooked up to the same input via s-video and optical (using an Audio Authority automatic switch box). I will be watching satellite in Pro-Logic 2 and then switch over to watch a DVD in Dolby Digital. Everything plays fine and it makes the switch okay...but when I switch back to satellite it defaults to Logic-7 Music...!? I've been through the menus, but there must still be something I'm missing. Why is it defaulting to Logic-7 Music? How can I get it to default to Pro-Logic 2?

Anybody else run into this?

- Other, minor, issues I have are that the switching outlet on the back doesn't handle as much wattage as my old receiver (a Sony DB830) and so I can no longer have my TV plugged into it...It was nice being able to have the TV turn on when I switched on the receiver. Also, the remote is truly craptacular. You actually have to press separate buttons to turn it on and then turn it off, so I can't have my old remote just learn one button for this.

I needed a new remote anyway, so I just bought a HTM MX-500 off a guy on the For Sale forum. I should be able to program it to turn on/off the receiver and TV together with that.

Back to the receiver itself, I'm actually very happy with it and, while I know it was more of a lateral upgrade than a true upgrade, it's a definite improvement over my old Sony DB830. However, the whole defaulting to Logic-7 Music is driving me nuts...Any suggestions/experience with this?

Thanks,
Ian

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

It's not only the H/K remotes that have separate buttons to turn on/off receivers - many receiver manufacturers have this same scenario.

If you want your TV to run though a "switched" outlet, then get a "smart" power supply for $30 and your issue will be completely solved.

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know about your 230, but each input has its own default setting on my HK 7200. Check to see if you actually have that input set for L7 as the default.

The switch box that you are talking about is video only I assume, as you said you had s-video hooked up.

I use seperate inputs for all my units, instead of running through 1 input, since I can then set each for its own default. Each input can be set for digital or analog input as is needed.

Do you not use digital hookups for you audio on your DVD?

Dennis

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator

This sounds interesting. I'll look around and see if I can find something like this...Is there any place on the internet you know of that sells it?...or Best Buy maybe? I'll try Googling.

Thanks for the help.

Ian

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I am thinking of buying a refurb HK 630 direct from them for a pretty darned good price.

Any reasons why I shouldn't?

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator

Can't think of any myself. I'm not sure how the 630 compares to other receivers in its price class, but as far as buying refurbished I can't complain. The unit shipped out the next day. It arrived and looks brand new...and it has the full two-year warranty 'ta boot.

As far as my issue (defaulting to Logic-7 Music after watching Dolby Digital), to tell the truth I can't tell much difference between Logic-7 and Pro-Logic 2...It just irks me that it won't stick when I select the PL2 for default. I'm going to try contacting their technical support and see if there is something I'm missing. I'll post back results after I've found out.

Ian

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Well, the MSRP is either $11 or $1299, which is ridiculous.

I had a B&M quote me $835 for it new and a certain well known Internet retailer that also sells books has it for about $100 or so less when you put in the cart, new.

I don't think it necessarily should cost the same as the Denon av3805, which usually gets sold near the thousand dollar mark.

If I can get this refurb under $600 that'll be something!

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Well, I won it!

Reading the "Gone through hell for an HK" thread has scared the hell out of me, though.

This Ebay auction was direct from HK however on a refurb 630 and it's getting the same warranties and treatment a brand new product would.

I hope I'm ok on this...

kevin tate

Stunt Coordinator
For the smartstrip, here's the link:
http://www.bitsltd.net/smartstrip/home2.htm

Make sure that you specify it's for the HT. I purchased one, but I failed to specify it's for the HT; they sent me the computer version, which was not sensitive enough for the H/K 525. They took it back and sent me another one for HT without hassle, pretty good customers service. It's a great purchase that takes the hassle out of turning your system off individually.

Users who are viewing this thread