What's new

Should I... DIY subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

flashcheetah

Auditioning
Real Name
Sheldon Scott
I have slowly become a home theater enthusiast, and I'm never looking back. I love having great sound, and I am going to be moving my Theater room into the basement. The room I'm going to be setting up is approx 15'x12' and right now I running a Velodyne CHT-10 that I absolutely love. It shakes the room that I am in right now, that is about 10'x12' I have a $600 budget right now, do you think I should try and make myself a sub, maybe something that can blend in to the room (end table or something) or should I just buy a second sub and pair it with the Velodyne I'm currently running?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For $600, you can make a sub that is much better than the Velodyne. Sell the V and put that money to the DIY sub as well.

We have the budget now we need other information. How much space are you willing to give up? DY subs range from the size of a shoe box to a walk-in commercial freezer. If you are short on space, can you go vertical like the SVS cylinders? Movies, music, both? Percentage of each? Do you want to reach reference levels at 20hz? How about below 20hz?

How are you with power tools? Do you have a router (woodworking kind, not the internet kind)?

flashcheetah

Auditioning
Real Name
Sheldon Scott
I'm willing to give up some space. This room is my room, The rest of the house is my wifes, I get this room all to myself. I do have some room for this sub, and I've seen in other DIY photos, that some people create their subs to be an end table or something. I am willing to go vertical if need be. I do have a router also. I would love to reach reference levels of 20hz, but I'm greedy, if I can go below I WANT TO!

flashcheetah

Auditioning
Real Name
Sheldon Scott
So I did some poking around online just to find out how I would go about trying to make a cylindrical subwoofer enclosure.... I have no clue. So I just need some advice on what would be the best avenue to go. Thanks.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The most difficult part of building a cylinder sub is getting the cylinder. It is just a cardboard tube but you have to get it from a concrete supply store most of the time. Also, you may have to buy the full length (10 to 12 feet). The best set of instructions are found here - http://home.comcast.net/~audio-worx/page88Tube-Zilla1.html . If you want ported, then put the port in the top plate instead of the driver like this - http://home.comcast.net/~audio-worx/page93PetesTube.html .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks