What's new
World Wide Stereo

should I add on to my bose speakers or get all new?? (1 Viewer)

53 willys

Auditioning
Real Name
mark
hello...I'm a total HT noobie..
about 8 years ago I bought a bose HT set-up...it's 5.1
I'm about to do a theater room in my basement. I want to upgrade to a 7.1 set-up.
my question is..
should I buy all new 7.1 speaker system and receiver?
or should I keep my bose and just add 2 more bose speakers for the rear/sides? and get a nice 7.1 receiver??
here are some pics of my bose speakers..
fronts/sub

center

rears

advice??
thoughts??
opinions??
thanks in advance...

728x90

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
First of all, Mark... Welcome to the Forum!!

I would recommend to ditch the BOSE and invest in some quality speakers. Like Monster Cables, BOSE has a long history of being way overpriced for what you are getting.

There are many great brands out there which cost a fraction of the price of BOSE and easily outperform them. A few are Paradigm, Klipsch and Polk. SVS also makes some good speakers and some of the best subs out there. HSU and Velodyne also make good subs. Personally, my entire 5.1 setup is Paradigm.

Go to a A/V store and audition plenty of different speakers and setups and do your research. A little homework goes a long way when you save money and find the perfect setup.

Real Name
Freddie Ross
In addition to what Clinton said, Bose generally has high resale value on Craigslist/Ebay so you're likely to get quite a bit of your investment back.

However, if you like the sound of what you have, then why get rid of it?

53 willys

Auditioning
Real Name
mark
thanks for the reply's gents!
I had listened to a few different surround sound set-up's when I bought the bose...I even listened to a Polk set-up...I could hear things on the bose speakers that I could not hear on the others...one complaint I have is the lack of a "real sub"...this set-up seems to lack the deep rumbling bass...
what do you think a set-up like I have is worth for resale value??

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
If you think bass is missing in the Bose 701 then why don't you invest in a quality sub first get the 7.1 receiver and try things out in a 5.1 mode first. If you don't like the sound of that arangement dump the Bose and move on to a different brand knowing that you do already have a good sub.

I have a set of Bose 901 series II from the 1970's and as far as I am concered it's the only speaker system Bose made that was any good and worth the $450 I paid for them. I thought I knew most Bose line but I have not seen the 701 you show in your pictures before.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
You will never achieve good LFE or tactile sub-bass with any BOSE system. They are not designed that way. There used to be a saying, "No highs, no lows...That's BOSE" . I don't know what the frequency response of the bass module is but it can't come close to 100+dB @ 20Hz which my Servo 15 can attain.

Does this set-up have a proprietary BOSE audio source (receiver) or can it run off a 3rd party receiver like a Denon or Yamaha? I have seen BOSE systems which ran everything through the bass module and used funky impedancies like 6 ohms or 10 ohms which made them incompatible or unsuited for use with a receiver or speakers which are not made by BOSE.

I am not familiar with the 701 Series II so I cannot say if you can just add a receiver and or sub and be done with it.

I also don't know what resale would be for a 701 but you can see what they go for on Craig'sList and e-Bay and get some ideas.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
From the crutchfield description:

Bose designed their premium tower speaker to please your eyes and your ears with its sleek good looks and spacious, powerful sound. The 701® Series II speaker employs four drivers, a built-in amplifier, and proprietary Bose technology to fill your room with a perfect blend of reflected and direct sound. Whether your tastes run to movies, music, or both, a pair of 701s will envelop you in an expansive, thoroughly engrossing soundstage.

Each tower features two Stereo Targeting® tweeters — one 2-1/2", the second 3" — for exceptional high-end detail and pinpoint localization. A 6-1/2" driver housed in its own enclosure delivers a perfect blend of direct and reflected midrange frequencies. And an 8" woofer built into a 49" tapered enclosure features dedicated amplification to produce rich, powerful bass. The built-in amplifier also frees your receiver's power to drive the tweeters and midrange more efficiently.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandids222
Recent bookmarks