What's new

Upgrading System - Should I keep or ditch my BOSE Acoustimass speakers? Help Please. (1 Viewer)

jargey3000

Auditioning
Real Name
gm
I currently have a "prehistoric" "stereo system": Panasonic SA-HE100 Receiver and Bose Acoustimass 5 Series 3 speakers (2 cube speakers+the subwoofer module that all hook up together, plus 2 other "surround" speakers). I want to upgrade to a current-generation HDMI capable receiver & go with a 5.1? speaker system. I'm wondering if I should hang on & add to the Bose speakers for my new setup, or ditch them & go for new speaker system. Would apprecaite any comments on this, and also any suggestions for new gear (receiver or speakers or HTIB?). I'm a "best bang for the buck" type of consumer, content to get by without ALL the bells & whistles. Thanks.

ceh383

Grip
Real Name
Chuck
I have an Acoustimass 5.1 setup, I never thought it sounded all that good, but, it didn't sound horrible either. When I decided to upgrade my system I wanted to start from scratch. I had a budget in mind, and began research.... So, figure out your budget first. Spend 2/3 ~ 3/4 of it on speakers, the rest on the AVR. Go listen to as many speaker sets as you can in your price range and pick what sounds best to YOU, then find an AVR that fits YOUR needs. I moved the Bose setup to my bedroom, for MY bedroom, it's more than adequate... I ended up with a Denon AVR-3313ci and Definitive Technology speakers....

jargey3000

Auditioning
Real Name
gm
thanks chuck. Haven't really looked at a budget yet, becaise I dont know what's out there. if you dont mind me asking ... what kind of budget would I need to purchase the gear you bought?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, it seems to be an easy choice. If you're upgrading for sound quality then upgrade the weakest part of the system or you might as well not do anything. You could have the best receiver in the world, but with the Bose speakers it's not going to sound any better. Better news since a lot of folks like the Bose name they are worth something on the used market, you could keep them for decorations, or use them in a playroom.

ceh383

Grip
Real Name
Chuck
jargey3000 said:
thanks chuck. Haven't really looked at a budget yet, becaise I dont know what's out there. if you dont mind me asking ... what kind of budget would I need to purchase the gear you bought?
I got a "package deal" on the speakers...$1998 (BP-8060ST's, CS-8040HD, SR-8040-BP's) The Denon was $850

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What's out there... Multi-Zone audio. Multi-Zone video. Multizone HDMI. Network streaming(audio only) Ipad/Ipod/Droid support(and in many cases your phone/apple product can be the remote) Height/width(Audyssey DSX/Dolby ProLogic IIz) If you pay enough...actual .2. Instead of "faking it".

jargey3000

Auditioning
Real Name
gm
...thanks sam... you're dealing here with a guy who's never even had a cell-phone ... I kid you not ... so i dont even know what you mean by all that ... reminds me of back in the day .... frequncy rsponse was one of the buzz-words back then. I had a friend who had to have the latest 'stereo gear" - no matter what the cost... he got aan amp with the best, biggest or whatever 'freq. response' ... only his dog could hear it! didn't matter ... he HAD to have it.. :) anyway , on speakers, here's a thought : I've been guided by Consumer Reports on many buying decisions, and they usually haven't steered me wrong. On 5.1 speaker systems their top 3 picks (and prices) are: Definitive Tech. -ProCinema 600 ($800); Acoustic Research hd510 ($150); Harmon Kardon HKTS15 ($400). To my mind, this would point to the Acoustic Research speakers as a no-brainer, for someone like me.. Any comments?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you need/want tiny satellites sure. Tiny satellites typically only go down to 120hz. What that means is you can't have thundering bass from a subwoofer. A subwoofer isn't doing 100hz at the same time you are asking for 30hz. Not happening. Any "reasonable" front channel speaker should be able to do at least 80hz. 80 is accomplished by 5" woofers or bigger. There are some Def Tech, GoldenEar and others that use 4" paired with bass radiators to accomplish 80hz. But, no matter what you choose...it is going to sound better than the TV.

ceh383

Grip
Real Name
Chuck
Once you have a budget set,compile a list of speakers that fit into that budget. Go out and listen to as many of them as you can, let your ears be the guide....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks