Sherlock Holmes - The Complete Series 39 Episodes

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Brian:C, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Brian:C

Brian:C Stunt Coordinator

Anyone have any info on this release:

Sherlock Holmes - The Complete Series 39 Episodes

Listed on Rotten Tomatos, ebay, dvd empire

I have it on order from Dvd Empire ($11.68). Seems like a good deal on the complete 1955 series. It's also listed on ebay and says each disc has a into by Christopher Lee.

Brian

2. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

Brian, that's a series that's fallen into the public domain and episodes have been available from at least half a dozen PD companies. Alpha Video has 7 volumes of this series, each with 4 episodes and Madacy released 20 episodes on a 5 disc collection. There have even been some dollar DVD releases of episodes. I haven't heard of the full series being released but I'm guessing that based on the price that you're showing, it won't be from pristine masters. Do you know who the releasing company is? That ought to give us some clue as to what the quality will be.

This is a fun series, what I like to call Sherlock Holmes "lite." I enjoy both Ronald Howard and H. Marion Crawford as Holmes and Watson, respectively.

3. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

I did a little more checking on this and found that it's been released from Digital 1 Stop a/k/a Treeline Films. You can bet your bottom dollar that the episodes will not be restored and, based on my prior experience with Treeline, audio/visual quality will be variable. But, let's give credit where credit is due. If, indeed, all 39 episodes are in this collection, then it will be the first time that the entire series is available on DVD. Please post your comments here on the set after you receive it.

4. Brian:C

5. Brian:C

Got it today after a few days on backorder.

Quality is the same as other releases. Shows very from good to very good with flecks and scratches.

I'd still recommend it as it's the complete 39 episodes for one great price. Just don't expect pristine prints.

Brian

6. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    And do the discs have intros by Lee?

7. Brian:C

8. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Wow, that's impressive, coming from Treeline. For clarification - these introductions were taped specifically for this DVD release?

9. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Intros by Lee were taped years ago and have been recycled over and over on various PD releases. I have some in my collection.

Without having seen this, I can't be certain that's the case here, but my gut tells me that these intros were NOT done specicifically for this release.

Still, this is a great price for an underrated series.

Steve

10. Brian:C

11. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

After many months, I finally purchased this set even though I already had some of the episodes in my collection. It ended up being released by Mill Creek Entertainment, the successor to Treeline Films but, as Brian:C correctly points out, the episodes were assembled for this collection by Synergy Entertainment whose logo is seen at the start-up of the disc. As far as the audio/visual quality of the episodes are concerned, they're strictly of the public domain variety . . . the prints are unrestored, though watchable (think Alpha Video and you'll get the picture). The introduction by Christopher Lee is the same one that appears on Madacy's collection of episodes from the same Sherlock Holmes series. It's a very "generic" introduction of the character Sherlock Holmes and I doubt that it was done specifically for this series, regardless of the releasing company (it, too, may very well be in the public domain since it's been used by more than one company).
    In addition to entertaining shows and performances from the leads, the major reason to get this set is the fact that it has all 39 episodes of this 1954-55 syndicated series. No other collection of episodes from this series can make that claim. While I suppose it's possible that this series may one day get the restoration treatment, I hold no great hopes that any major restoration will occur and so this set may end up being the best we can hope for.
    The 39 episodes are distributed over five DVDs and it has a suggested retail of $14.98 (I was able to pick this up at Best Buy for just $9.99). To see cover art and a little more information, go to Mill Creek's website (Scroll down):
    http://www.millcreekentertainment.co...c&prodcatid=13

12. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

Nothing new here, but it looks like Mill Creek is reissuing the 1954-55 "Sherlock Holmes" series . . . . . new artwork. While the descripton says 5 discs (the original issue), the cover art indicates 3 discs. I expect to see this one pop up in the Walmart $5 bins.
    Mill Creek Details Page

13. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned
    BANNED

Richard W
    That's where I bought it, at Walmart, for $5.

14. jim_falconer

jim_falconer Supporting Actor

I'm in the process of re-watching these shows again (just getting into disc 5). What an excellent series it was. Ronald Howard and H. Marion Crawford were wonderful in their roles, and bring the characters to life better (almost) than any other duo has before or after. What a shame the series only had one season, but at least (thanks to Millcreek), we can rewatch those classic 39 shows again and again.

This has been a great pre-cursor to the new BBC show starting tonight on PBS...

15. jim_falconer

jim_falconer Supporting Actor

Still, one of my all-time favorite "Sherlock" series. Thinking of starting them up again, since it's been at least 3 years since the last time I've spun thru the 39 episodes. How great if some company went back, cleaned up the shows, and released it onto BD!