What's new

Sherbourn 5/1500A or Marantz MA6100 monoblocks? (1 Viewer)

PatrickS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

I have little upgrade question. I currently own a HK AVR7000 (2 years running) which I have really enjoyed, however I recently purchased a set of Axiom speakers (M60ti, VP150, and QS-8's), for those of you who are not familar with them, they are very detailed and accurate speakers (all have aluminum drivers and titanium tweets), especially the M60ti mains. While I also love the clear detailed sound of these speakers, on some CD recordings I notice alot of simbilance in the upper midrange. Simbilance that was not there running PSB 4T's and my Denon DCM 370 CD player (which I am still using).
After checking everything including cables and even adding a AH! Noise Killer (which did reduce the simbilance by quite a bit) I still can't enjoy "some" of the recordings I used to enjoy (yes I know that alot of cd's are not recorded that well). I guess that is what I get for upgrading to better more revealing speakers.

Anyway, I have heard that I may be able to tame my speakers a bit if I match them with the right amp, using my avr7000 as a pre/pro.
I have read many reviews stating the Sherbourn 5/1500A is a good match for bright detailed speakers, as it's tends to be on the darker side of neutral sounding (one reviewer even stated he heard some grating simbilance when using his HK AVR510 directly, that disappeared when he connected the Sherourn to the Pre-amp outputs). I also know Marantz is known for it's warm sound. I really do not want to speand more than $1000 if I can help it.

Do any of you that have experience with any or all of these components?
Or if you have any practical suggestions (short of selling my speakers or HK avr7000 or paying more than $1000 for a differant amp),
Please lend your advice?

Thanks,
Patrick

Yogi

Screenwriter
I am not familiar with Sherbourn sound but I can tell you that Parasound and B&K also tend towards warm and laidback sound. I have heard B&K gear mated with Klipsch's and they sounded fabulous and smooth with no hint of harshness. And Klipschs are legendary for their brightness. So you should be very happy combining your speakers with B&K. Parasound is also quite warm owing to the use of FETs in its driver stages. You could also try those. The B&K 5125 and the Parasound 1205 could be had for sub 1K new and they are both warmer than the Marantz MA500 (6100) monoblocks.

Best of luck.

PatrickS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Yogi,

Thanks for your thoughts.
Where exactly can you find the Parasound for under $1000 new? I'm seeing them on Ebay for right around there used.
And I can't find that B&K model at all.

Thanks,
Patrick

Yogi

Screenwriter
Where exactly can you find the Parasound for under $1000 new? I'm seeing them on Ebay for right around there used.
Well, the MSRP on them is $1199 so I would think that some online retailers would carry them for around 1K if not less. Used they shouldn't be more than $700. B&K is going to discontinue its current line of amps and preamps so a lot of retailers will be unloading the 5125s for less than 1K (MSRP $1299). The last time B&K updated the AV5000II with the AV5125 Tweeter was clearing out a ton of them at $850 (new, OB, demo floor models etc.)

So if you wait a little longer you will run into one of these deals.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Patrick..

I own the 5/1500A in combination with Paradigm and an Anthem pre-pro. The blend is great with lots of power, clean sound and fine imaging and soundstage. I'd recommend it for it's price/performance.

I cannot comment on the MA6100 monoblocks as I've not listened to them. I am only sharing my experience with the Sherbourn.

I did consider your same situation with all monoblocks in a 5.1 system, but went with the Sherbourn for fronts and center due to space constraints.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Get the Sherbourn. It sounds great, has more power than the Marantz and the option of balanced ins, if you so desire.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I can't comment on the Marantz amps, but I have the Sherbourn, mated with a Yamaha RX-V596 as a pre-pro and Paradigm Monitor speakers and I love it.

PatrickS

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply's so far!

Chas or Dan,

Could you tell me the height of the chasis of the Sherbourn, the speacs say 7", but it looks like the faceplate is bigger than the main chasis. Is this true?
I have limited space in my rack, I was going to put it on top of my HK 7000, but I would only have about 1" clearance on top. The back is open however, and I have a couple of inches on either side.
If the chasis was more like 6" high that would give me about 2" clearance.
A major factor is how hot the unit runs as well.
Please let me know.

I guess I could always put in a fan.

Thanks again!

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
I measured the 5/1500A and the face plate is 19" X 7".

The depth is 17".

Height is 7 1/2 with the feet.

As far as heat, I would consider the Sherbourn a cooler running amp then my Parasound 855A, Modial 8002 and my Sony STR-DA777ES.

It has vents on the top and also the side.

Eujin

Supporting Actor
David,

I've been considering the IRD/LeAmp as my next addition too. How long did delivery take?

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Patrick,

My measurements agree with Chas_T.

The Sherbourn runs very cool compared to the other amps I demoed. It even runs cooler than my RX-V596 receiver and that's only being used as a pre-pro.

Edward M

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Chas_T

Where did you purchase your Sherbourn? I'm looking to demo one with a Paradigm reference arrangement. I'm real close to getting a Parasound 1205 for $995 in NJ but am having 2nd thoughts.

Thanks
Ed

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
have you considered returning the speakers and perhaps auditioning others that may be more pleasing to your ears?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
i read it, but you've already taken rather extraordinary steps to make these speakers pleasing to your ears. these steps which involve basically the use of a zobel filter (rolling off your highs a bit) far and away mitigate whatever effect the amps under consideration can possibly do. if you're going to stick with these speakers then i think there may be more productive approaches involving your room and possible treatments that can be employed for the issues that you're talking about suggest looking at speaker/room interactions. otherwise it'll be a matter of whether your ears will adjust to the new sound. Hey look Pat, the easiest thing I can do is spend your money by suggesting a new amp, but in all honesty, if you're dead set on keeping the speakers and the HK, then a more rational approach is going to involve both their placement and the utilization of room treatments. However if you're not interested in investigating this avenue, its your money and no hard feelings :)

ChrisJJ

Agent
PatrickS,

If you do get the Sherbourn, be aware that it is VERY heavy (>80lbs). You may not want to put it directly on top of the H/K. It should be on a shelf that is well supported. The 5/1500A I believe is rack mountable (I have a 5/1500), but by your description, I'm guessing you will not be screwing this into a rack.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks