What's new

Sharp XVZ10000U Opinion (1 Viewer)

jplepage

Auditioning
Real Name
Jean-Paul Lepage
I wasn`t planning to update to a projector, but I found a great deal on the Sharp XVZ10000U. I know it`s an old model and 720p, but the specifications are impressive. Any opinions suggestions? (deal on the 500 dollars range).

Thanks!

jplepage

Auditioning
Real Name
Jean-Paul Lepage
Thank guys! It seems its a good idea to buy it (for less than the price of two bulbs :) )

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I had a Sharp XVZ10000U for 5 years. I purchased it back in 2003 for $6800, which was a bargain back then and the best price I could find anywhere (price you pay for trying to go with latest model/technology). I parted ways with it late in 2008. It was a solid performer for quite a while. My recollection of bulb prices was a bit higher. I got mine sent from Japan, which was the cheapest price I could find at the time and it was over $400, but maybe they are cheaper now.

My only concern in picking up a used one of this age is the color wheel. My color wheel never gave a problem for the first 4.5 years but then started to get an annoying sound after running for a couple hours. As time went on the sound got louder and came on sooner to the point I had to replace it. The cost to replace the color wheel was going to be $600 for parts and labor, which wasn't worth it based on it's value at the time.

So you can go with spending $500 to get into projector technology with the idea it may last for a while or only a year before needing to be replaced. Also, newer projector designs are quieter. The Sharp was okay at the time but would be considered loud in comparisons to the newer projectors out. But it would give you a chance to know if a projector is right for you. This projector isn't a light cannon so you need a light controlled environment. The Sharp was my first projector and I can't go back to a smaller screen after having one.

I switched mine out for a 1080p Sony SXRD model (no color wheel). The good news is that prices do go down as the technology improves. My current projector is better then the Sharp was and was only 3K. So don't get caught up in what the Sharp cost new. Current equivalent projectors would be in the 2k - 3k range new.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks