What's new

Sharp 55" RPTV (1 Viewer)

Jerry Wright

Agent
I've been screening all possible contenders for an upgrade from my 32" direct view Phillips. Came across the Sharp model 55R-WP4H HD ready 16:9 which fits my budget and has the features I'm looking for. Any comments from owners of this model, or those having any experience with any "Sharp" RPTV's would be greatly appreciated. ( In a hurry for widescreen )

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

JimmyD

Auditioning
Jerry,
Quick answer to your inquiry- the Sharp is an excellant HDTV.
I will only give you a summary but for a lot more info go to the Sanyo/Sharp/Sharpvision category at the HomeTheaterSpot forum:
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/ubb/u...ubb=forum&f=64
There is one thread where a lot of us have posted our thoughts on the Sharps:
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/ubb/u...&f=64&t=000033
Now the summary:
The Sharp has an excellant line doubler. We play a lot of prerecorded VHS tapes (kids shows mostly) and they look great. Sometimes you can see waviness on sharp diagional lines but nothing distracting.
The Sharp has a great Smart Stretch mode.
There are two models - the 4H (which Best Buy has carried but is dropping so if, as I assume, you're looking to get one at Best Buy don't wait) which is a 'Sharp' model and the 5H which is a 'SharpVision' model and can only be bought from a SharpVision dealer. There is not much difference.
One Warning - There is a vertical line problem on some of the Sharps. It's a hit or miss, you either have it or you don't. It's been known about for a while and Sharp is attempting to get it fixed. One of the forum members at the SPoT has even been e-mailing with a tech at Sharp that is working on the problem. Some members have had multiple sets and still have the vertical line problem. It's not that they are gluttens for punishment, it's just that the image on the Sharp is so great they want to keep the sets and wait for Sharp to fix the problem. That's about the best testament anyone can give.
James

Jerry Wright

Agent
James, thanks for the reply. I've owned several Sharps over the past 20 years (all direct view) and never had any problems. I read that other sites forum about the verticle line problem before I posted this and wanted more comment from this forum because I don't think I've ever seen Sharp mentioned here. If I take the 50/50 chance and get one, I just hope they stand by thier product and get the fix to all owners. BB on line is selling that model now for $1999.00 w/free shipping, which I thought was a helluva deal.........Jerry

John Capozzi

Auditioning
I'm not sure if it was the 5h or the 4h, but Fry's in San Diego had a Sharp 55" Widescreen HD on sale this weekend for $1599.00
I stopped in to check price on a Panasonic 47WX49 47" and had already done my homework on it here and www.panny.tv and sold myself on it, so I didn't give the Sharp much time. I can say that the Sharp looked at least as good as any of the models flanking it (Sony 50" on one side, Hitachi 43 Widescreen on the other), had an attractive case, decent remote, and a damn nice looking 4:3 stretch. Fry's was running cable or sat LDTV through all of them when I was there, so they all looked pretty bad.
Had I not been so anxious to get a TV purchased today, and being pretty sure that a 47" was more than large enough for my new apartment, I may have went home and researched the Sharp.
Besides, I HATE the thought of actually spending big money in Fry's, EVERYTHING boxed in that store seems to have been purchased and returned. ;)
Instead, I drove back to Circuit City, bought the 47WX49, and helped a nice college kid earn some beer money. Oh, and I got a NIFTY $54.00 APEX DVD player for free...which I threw in the dumpster when I got home. I would have felt bad had I given it away to a DVD needy person, I'd be doing them more harm than good with that APEX. ;)
$100 less than the Panny, and 8" bigger is something to think about though.

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
Initially there were more than a few problems with that set. At one point they had so many units defective that the part (I believe power supply) was on back order. Now I do not own the set nor do I know anyone who does, but I do sell projection tv's and this was a model that my company carried for several months (while we were waiting for the Pioneer sd-533hd5 to come in). I guess they thought that a $3500 Sharp was about the same as a $3500 Pioneer. That said I personally had to return four units in about a 2 month period. So I would shy away from this tv, but these also could have been isolated incidents. Just my 2 cents. Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks