What's new

Several Fox Classics dvd releases on May 23rd! (2 Viewers)

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I bought the 2-disc Patton from eBay last year. Hard to tell whether the new extras:

FFC commentary
History Through The Lens "Patton: A Rebel Revisited"
"Patton's Ghost Corps"
production stills gallery
behind-the-scenes gallery

...are worth double-dipping for. I'd be more tempted to if it had an improved transfer.

Fox Home Entertainment has sent over artwork for two-disc special editions of Tora! Tora! Tora!, Patton and The Longest Day. Each will be available to own from the 23rd May, and should set you back around $19.98 a piece. Each will carry a widescreen presentation, along with English Dolby Surround tracks.

Extras on Tora! Tora! Tora! will include an audio commentary by director Richard Fleischer and Japanese film historian Stewart Galbraith, a Day of Infamy documentary, various Movietone News features (The 1st Pictures of the Attack, Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941, Now It Can Be Shown, A Year of War Since Pearl Harbor, War with Japan, U.S Declares War on Japan, 1st Pictures of Attack on Japan Islands, Jap Cities Were Bombed By U.S. Army Planes, President Honors ""Jimmy"" Dolittle For Raid on Japan, War Reports Of The United Nations, and Doolittle's Raiders, Who Bombed Tokyo, Mark Anniversary), and the trailers.

Patton will include an Introduction and audio commentary by Francis Ford Coppola, a Behind the Scenes Gallery Accompanied By an Audio Essay on the Historical Patton, a History Through the Lens: "Patton: A Rebel Revisited" feature, a Patton's Ghost Corps featurette, a Making of Patton documentary, a Production Still Gallery Accompanied by Jerry Goldsmith's Complete Musical Score, and the original theatrical trailer.

Lastly, The Longest Day will include a 'Historical' audio commentary, A Day To Remember documentary, a Longest Day: A Salute to Courage featurette, another featurette on the backstory, a D-Day Revisted featurette, a Richard Zannuck on The Longest Day featurette, a still gallery, and trailers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The following are the extras listed so far on the "Patton", "The Longest Day" and "Tora!Tora!Tora!" dvds. In bold are the extras ported over from the previous releases. Without question, I'm purchasing all three because I would think besides "The Longest Day" finally being presented anamorphically that the video presentations on all three dvds should be better than those dvds released in 1999 and 2001. Also, there are a bunch of new features that from an historical point of view should be very interesting to watch. You can probably purchase each dvd for around $14.00

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Fox is releasing several box sets that day, but I haven't been able to find out any details except that they do involve "War" films along with some other film genres. The MSRP are $29.95 each which mean you should be able to purchase them for less than $21.00 each, I would think these box sets involves most if not all of the films listed in the first post for this thread. There might even be some titles not listed yet.
  • Classic Crime Collection: Street Justice
  • Classic Western Collection: Outlaws
  • Heroes Of War Collection: Frontline Combat
  • Heroes Of War Collection: Navy Battles
  • Heroes Of War Collection: Soldiers Stories
  • Marilyn Monroe 80th Anniversary Collection

Crawdaddy

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
DVDTimes has the specs listed for the 4 crime films, all are OAR!!!:

Compulsion - In this riveting true story about the notorious 1924 Leopold-loeb murder case, Orson Wells stars as the brillant Clarence Darrow whose history-making defense against capitol punishment saved two wealthy Chicago teenagers from a death sentence.

Features include:
2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English Stereo
French and Spanish Mono
Spanish subtitles
Theatrical Teaser & Trailer
Fox Flix Trailers

Murder, Inc. - Based on the true-life book of lawman Burton Turkus, Murder, Inc. chronicles the rise and fall of the organized crime syndicate of the same name.

Features include:
English Stereo
English and Spanish Mono
Spanish subtitles
Theatrical Trailer
Fox Flix Trailers

Seven Ups - Seven-ups are those criminals due to serve at least that number of year in jail -- if they get caught. Roy Scheider is a cop who catches them.

Features include:
Full Screen & Widescreen Transfers (Flipper Disc)
English Stereo
English, French and Spanish Mono
Spanish subtitles
Behind-the-scenes featurette
Theatrical Teaser & Trailer

St. Valentine's Day Massacre - Jason Robards as Scarface teams with George Segal (in a rare bad-guy role) to battle the Feds. The 1929 massacre is bloody, indeed.

Features include:
English Stereo
French and Spanish Mono
Spanish subtitles
Theatrical Trailers
Fox Flix Trailers

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
No Jay E. Fox has four new separate crime titles. That does not mean they are the ones in these budget box sets. for which neither Fox vid or the once reliable DVD Planet has seen fit to tell us details.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Commentary by Coppola on Patton - wow, that's a helluva surprise! Although, why he agreed to record one for this film, but (as of yet) not for Apocalypse Now is pretty strange. I wonder if this will be an all-new high-def transfer - perhaps even from the 65mm Dimension 150 negative, as the listing states a "2.20:1" transfer, whereas, the previous transfer was from a 35mm reduction interpositive @ 2.35:1 - the current transfer is petty good, though, as I recall. Although, The Longest Day is also listed as 2.20:1 and it was shot in 35mm CinemaScope. The 50-minute documentary on Franklin Schaffner on the previous 2-disc was quite good and should have been retained, I feel.

I have not seen Seven-Ups. I have heard that there is a break-neck car chase, though. It's Philip D'Antoni's only film as director. He was producer on Bullitt and The French Connection and the screenplay is based on a story by the real-life Sonny "Cloudy" Grosso, who went on by a producer in Hollywood. I'm a big fan of Scheider and the fact that the film was shot on authentic locations appeals to me.

St. Valentine's Day Massacre is an awful film, I feel - sorry, folks! It's probably the late, great Jason Robards' worst performance and this release coming so soon after the DVD release of the sublime, The Ballad of Cable Hogue, which is one of Robards' very best.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
WHERE ARE "VALLEY OF THE DOLLS" and "THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT", WHAT IS TAKING SO ................... LONGGGGGGGGGGG??

Richard M S

Screenwriter
AlanP, I hope I was not imagining this but I read somewhere Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter , The Girl Can't Help It and The Wayward Bus were the contents of an upcoming box set of Jayne Mansfield films.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I saw that Fox have announced another 2-disc SE of Patton for release in May. As far as extras are concerned, the only difference from the existing 2-disc SE appears to be the substitution of a (new?) commentary by Francis Ford Coppola (the screenwriter) in place of the commentary by Charles M. Provence on the current set.

Does anyone know whether Fox have remastered the film for this new release? The present DVD doesn't look too bad on my 32-inch TV, although there is probably room for improvement. Patton's a favourite film of mine, but even so, I'm not sure whether I'll double-dip on this one - I'll probably wait to see some reviews first.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

No, there is more than just the commentary substitution. See Post #64. Also, I bet there will be a significant difference between the video presentation of this new dvd versus the one on the 1999 dvd.

Crawdaddy

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Wow. Some interesting stuff getting announced lately. I'll have to start checking in more often.

I'll be picking up The Longest Day 2-disc SE, Patton 2-disc SE and The Seven-Ups

I've wanted to catch Yellow Sky, Decision Before Dawn and Compulsion for a long time. I might blind buy a couple of those.

A few of the others look somewhat interesting but those I'll catch via Netflix or whatever.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I also am waiting for that Jayne Mansfield set. It ws supposed to be in Feb or March but that hasn't happened.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I could swear that I saw box art for a TTT/Patton/Longest Day box set, but I guess I didn't.

If Patton is indeed a new transfer, I will have to double-dip and keep my old one too, for the whole package.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I also read a JAYNE SET WAS ON it's way ??
SO FOX WHERE THE DEVIL IS IT ????????????????
AND I WANT "VALLEY OF THE DOLLS"
ANOTHER GO AROUND OF PATTON AND THE LONGEST DAY, RELEASE SOME OTHER STUFF. THAT HAS ALL BEEN RELEASED !!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks