What's new

Several Fox Classics dvd releases on May 23rd! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Unfortunately, it looks like Fox won't be following the marketing model that Warner created with these upcoming box sets. A big :thumbsdown: from me for those that already own those previously released dvds. However, those that don't, will have a good opportunity to do so now at a reduce price point. Anyhow, still waiting on the final word to the exact names and number of titles involved with these upcoming box sets so it still might be an opportunity to purchase some of these titles cheaper in the box set.

http://www.davisdvd.com/news/news.html

Crawdaddy

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Today,
I am in BEST BUY, and I see a NEW COVER, on "ALL ABOUT EVE",
it says the AWARD SERIES ?? With the ORIGINAL FILM POSTER ART ?? So, does this mean adios to STUDIO CLASSICS, and now they will be re-issued as AWARD CLASSICS, with the original poster art ?? Anyone, else had the opportunity to catch this ??

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I am so getting tired of Fox and thier published specs, which half the time are wrong even on the covers.

One- Last Wagon will hopefully be 4.o stereo - not mono as in th especa

two - These Thousand Hills - will be full scope and not full frame as published here.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
Damn...I wish studios would stop revisiting those titles of which a decent SE DVD already exists and concentrate on those as yet unreleased catalogue titles in their possession:angry:!!

As we speak, I have the following discs in my unwatched pile which have been reissued on DVD (albeit in an improved edition) within the last year - and which I've yet to upgrade:

THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939)
BEN-HUR (1959)
THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN (1960)
TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (1962)
PATTON (1970)

And I'm not even taking into account those upgraded editions I've already purchased - but which have yet to be given a spin:

STRANGERS ON A TRAIN (1951)
THE WAGES OF FEAR (1953)

and the one's I've yet to purchase - but whose "old" DVD edition I've already watched:

THE LAST LAUGH (1924)
THE THIEF OF BAGDAD (1924)
FAUST (1926)
CASABLANCA (1942)
OPRHEE` (1949)
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1956)
THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (1962)
DR. STRANGELOVE (1964)
ONIBABA (1964)
PUNISHMENT PARK (1971)
JAWS (1975)

Having said that, I love PATTON so, double-dipping or no double-dipping, I'll eventually add this "improved" 2-Disc Set from Fox to my ever-expanding DVD collection; I'm just really glad that I've resisted picking up the current discs of THE LONGEST DAY (1962) and TORA! TORA! TORA! (1970)...:)!

ted:r

Second Unit

I could not agree more. I mean I have my favorite movies of which I would love to know every last mundane detail, but the truth is, there are way too many movies I want to see that are not on DVD. And I wish those would come out first.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I just got the new CINEMA CLASSICS, "DEMETRIUS AND THE GALDIATORS" at Wal-Mart for $5.50 and they had a SLEW OF PARAMOUNT TITLES for $5.50.
I got
"NAKED JUNGLE"
"TEACHER'S PET"
"ALL IN A NIGHTS WORK"
"GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH"
"THE OUT OF TOWNERS"-1970
THEY ALSO HAD IN FOR $5.50
"COUNTRY GIRL"
"FANCY PANTS"
"HUD"

"CASANOVA'S BIG NIGHT"
SEVERAL ELVIS AND JERRY LEWIS TITLES
AND SOME OTHERS I AM SURE I FORGOT..........

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone else think it is no coincidence these are being released on the same day as Blu- ray discs from Lions gate and Sony? Although fox has made no Blu-ray announcements, I have the suspicion we may be seeing classic candidates here. Anyone take up that bet?

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
What's up with several of these being in full frame only? I'm thinking of Back Door To Hell, Guns At Batasi and These Thousand Hills...

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Being a huge fan of the Western genre, I'm really looking forward to the release of:
The Last Wagon
The Proud Ones
Yellow Sky
These Thousand Hills

I'm concerned that all on-line sources are showing "These Thousand Hills" as full frame only even though it was in CinemaScope just like "The Last Wagon" and "The Proud Ones" which are listed as widescreen.

In one of the earlier posts in this thread, Joe Caps said this is an error on Fox's press release and it really will be widescreen.

I hope so. It wouldn't make any sense for them to go pan-and-scan for just that title.

I also am excited about the two John Ford Box sets coming from Warner on June 6th!

Christopher_P

Stunt Coordinator
Ugh I need to stay off of this message board. Every time I visit it costs me money :D With that said all of those are great titles and Patton is for sure a double dip for me.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Found a few of the titles today and took a look at the back cover of These Thousand Hills - have no fear as it is a flipper disc with the proper 2:35 OAR on one side. Personally, I do wish that Fox would just release the widescreen films that way instead of the flipper with a full frame version included .They got it right with The St. Valetine's Day Massacre - the only one of the bunch I have that is released as a " Widescreen Edition ". I was tempted to buy Tora! Tora! Tora! and Patton but since I already have earlier versions I wonder if they are a noticeable improvement. Kind of a mix with two titles still retaining the Fox War Classics line and other war films just a standard release. Hoping to get all of them before the end of the week - ouch on the wallet. In case anyone would like more information - audio & video etc. I have:

Yellow Sky
These Thousand Hills
The Proud Ones
The Culpepper Cattle Co.
Immortal Sergeant
Decision Before Dawn
You're In The Navy Now
The St. Valentine's Day Massacre
The Seven Ups

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Well I'll be knee high to a grasshopper, These Thousand Hills looks pretty good- at least on my computer - initially, and there are three trailers included: Two Flags West introduced by Linda Darnell sitting on a horse on the set. ( 1 min. 20 sec. ) Also The Tall Men at 2 min. 32 sec. although it looks like the Cinemascope image is reduced to around 1:85, somewhat stretched. Same thing with The Proud Ones at 2 min 25 sec. Fun to watch though. The Stills Galleries had some interesting B&W photos.

I'm just quickly going through them to get an idea of how they look and it was great to see The Seven Ups in it's 1:85 OAR. Another very good transfer although while watching the chase scene the audio - specifically when hearing screeching tires or the police sirens, you could notice some breakup in the sound , but I seem to remember the laserdisc version being about the same. Glad I can toss the full frame LD finally. The Featurette, intitled " The Anatomy Of A Chase " ( full frame ) has definitley seen better days. There is a predominance of green and red so I imagine the cyan part has faded, still, it was nice to have it included and have some insight into the filming of the car chase. It always made me laugh somewhat how much of an exhaust note they gave that Ventura - no doubt it was lifted straight from Bullitt. You hear the sounds of a manual tranny shifting but it was definitely an automatic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks