What's new

Several Fox Classics dvd releases on May 23rd! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just added Back Door to Hell, Guns at Batasi and You're in the Navy Now to the list. Also, I'm waiting on confirmation about special editions for The Longest Day, Patton and Tora!Tora!Tora! which I suspect are nothing, but re-releases for those three titles.

Crawdaddy

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Amazon lists St. Valentine's Day Massacre for pre-order. I can't wait to see this in widescreen. Saw it recently (pan & scan as always) and noticed that most of the exteriors were shot on the MGM lot.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Anybody know what happened to A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN? It was all ready for release about a year ago, then pulled at the last minute.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Joe, THE EGYPTIAN Cinemascope short, which I think is 2 reels, because I was with my friend when he bought it some 30 or 40 years ago, and I seem to recollect there were 2 rolls wound on seperate cores.
I haven't seen it for a long time, but from what I can remember the short is a thinly disguised travelogue of Egypt, but turns into a promotion for THE EGYPTIAN.
I'm certain it contains shots of the large sets and I can certainly remember seeing Edmund Purdom in it.
Because it has faded to pink, it most likely is DeLuxe color with Optical Mono sound and it had the usual Fox shorts credits.

Slightly off thread, but maybe of interest to some,
I once had the Entr'Acte for HELLO DOLLY, it was on 35mm, 4 track Magnetic Stereo, but it also contained a very thin optical track which allowed me to play it at the time.
The quality of sound from the optical was very poor, probably because of the extreme narrowness of this optical Mono track.

How often did this practice of including an optical track on a 4 Track magnetic print occur?
It is the only one that I have come across.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Fox and other studios were having too many problems keeping several kinds of prints for each stereo movie. iN the middle of 1956, Fox introduced the magoptical print which had four channels of mag stereo sound and the backup optical track. I think all of foxs stereo prints were this way.
Because extra room was needed on the print to house both four channel mag stereo and optical, the ratio of scope was changed from 2:55 to 1, tO 2:35 TO 1.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member

There was no info that I saw that indicated this was to be a WS release. You may be disappointed.

Alex Antin

Grip
Every Feb 14th I hope that this great movie "St Valentine's Day Massecre" is finally released in Widescreen. The only media available on this film is P+S VHS.

It never shows on TV in widescreen and so much is missed in the process.

I thought that FOX had the rights to this film? Does anyone know anything about this film and its ownership? I know Roger Corman directed and produced it

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I moved your post into this thread because it looks like this title will be coming out on May 23rd. The only thing we're waiting on is confirmation about what aspect ratio will be on the dvd.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

However, DVD Planet still doesn't have "St Valentine's Day Massacre" listed on their site. Anyhow, I updated the list with those "War" film titles.

Crawdaddy

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member

That is NOT a true statement. I recorded "St Valentine's Day Massacre" off of the FMC last October in WS. So FOX has WS prints somewhere. Question is does FOX have enough respect for us to release this in WS.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
DVD Times confirming those R1 WW2 Fox SEs - 'Cinema Classics Collection' - here, and yet another Marilyn Monroe repackaging, also in that 'Cinema Classics Collection' line:

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Marilyn Monroe 80th Anniversary Collection for 30th May 2006 priced at $49.98 SRP. This six-disc collection offers five films starring Marilyn Monroe - The Seven Year Itch, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Niagara, River Of No Return and Let’s Make Love - alongside a special bonus disc titled Marilyn: The Final Days.

Details and art here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks