What's new

Seperates and Connections! (1 Viewer)

Hiya all! I finally took the plunge and will be upgrading to Seperates.

My question is on connections. I will be purchasing a RMB 1075 and the RSP 1066. Here are the two options that are most feasible considering locale: MOnster THX certified Reference and Audio Quest. I have read that the Monster cables are overrated and that the THX certified doesn't neccesarily mean much. One of the salesman at the shop I am purchasing the amps from also said that they are inferior to the audio quest cables that they sale. Since this guy seems honest(I have double check most of the stuff that isnt quite so intangible myself) and he seems like he is being honest. However, I would still like to get some opinions from you guys!

In addition, I have seen it said that you should plan on spending roughly 10% of what your reciever costs on you connections. How accurate is this?

Btw, the Monster cables I mentioned are 69.95 a pair and the audio quest are 70.95.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
I'm not a big fan of either Monster or AudioQuest. You might check out DHLabs, Bettercables, Harmonic Technology, Cardas or some of the online DIY companies. I'd also check out Audiogon.com for used cable as well. I've bought some very nice new and used equipment, interconnects and speaker cables from Audiogon.com. I just love that place. :)

I've spent about 15% on cables and interconnects. If you hear a difference then the extra cost is worth it IMO.

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
In addition, I have seen it said that you should plan on spending roughly 10% of what your reciever costs on you connections. How accurate is this?
Not very. The 10% rule was taken from the TOTAL value of your complete home theater system. Even then it is still not a good gauge to use.

Read this thread which is at the top of the forum.

Personally a DIY cable company can make you some kickass cables for a reasonable price. BlueJeans Cables offers some outstanding cables at rock bottom pricing. Not to mention Kurt will probably be able to ship your order within 24hrs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks