What's new
World Wide Stereo

Subwoofer works in test but not with media (1 Viewer)

James Wilkinson

Auditioning
Real Name
James
I recently started building my home theater from the ground up. Its starting to slowly come along but I've hit a bit of a snag.

I purchased a set of Klipsch RP-150m speakers to replace a set of really crappy sony speakers I had been using. Hooked them up, sounds great, except for some reason my subwoofer isnt working now. It works in the test mode and auto set up but i get nothing from it in TV or using my bluetooth audio. Outside of turning the system on and off and trying to set it up again, I'm not sure where to go as far as getting it to work. I'll list below all of the components for my system and how theyre connected to the receiver. Let me know what I need to try to get it to work, I'd love to see how my system sounds now.

Denon AVR S500BT Receiver

2 Klipsch RP150M speakers (connected with Monster Speaker Wire)

2 Make-Unknown In-ceiling speakers (attached with generic speaker wire, they were here when I bought the place)

1 Klipsch R10SW Subwoofer (connected with Monster Subwoofer cable, set in LFE+Main mode)

I'm learning all this stuff as I go, and I know the "system" isnt much, but its the start with a broader end goal in mind. Let me know what I can do!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
It sounds like the issue is with your setup. Did you run the autosetup with the mic when you put the new speakers in place? If so do you recall the settings? You need to go look at them to make sure the main speakers are set to small. You also want to look at the xover levels to make sure they are correct. I'm assuming with those speakers something around the 60Hz range would be appropriate but you could go to 80Hz without issues.

You could try to set the sub to LFE only and see what happens. Check the power switch to see that the sub amp is on. If you have it on auto you might not be getting enough signal if the xover is too low on the mains.

Try this stuff and let us know what you come up with.

James Wilkinson

Auditioning
Real Name
James
Success! Changed the speakers to small, set the cross at 60hz and lo and behold I have a working sub now. Thanks for your help. For my own curiosity what sort of change am I going to get from setting the cross to 80hz?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Typically you set the crossover at...

80hz(if you are beholden to the THX standard)

Or...

The -3 point of your main speakers.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
James Wilkinson said:
For my own curiosity what sort of change am I going to get from setting the cross to 80hz?

You'll just be sending more information to the sub as it will send 80Hz and below to the sub vs the 60Hz and under you are now.

Smaller speakers can't handle the lower frequency range so it's very beneficial to send them to the sub so it can produce those tones. This keeps the main speakers from struggling and gets the full range of sound coming from your system. If you cross too low and your speakers can't produce those low tones you have a hole.

However in your case I think you're just fine as the specs say those RP150's are good to 48Hz. This is why I recommended 60 or 80 in my first post.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks