What's new

Trying to get a Logitech z906 5.1 sound working with an optical cable through Sony 4k TV (1 Viewer)

Paddy32

Auditioning
Real Name
James S
Hello,

Before I start I want to say that I know that the z906 kit has a very poor sound quality and is trash for a home cinema. I have had this kit for 6 years now, used it to get 5.1 sound for my PC and would like to recycle it now into a home cinema before buying a proper sound kit. And also that I'm not an expert in home theaters.

I bought a 4k Sony TV (54.6" Sony KD-55XE7096) and set up the Logitech z906 and also mounted the satellites to the walls. I'm using an optical cable to connect the Sony TV directly to the Logitech z906 backpanel. I would like to get 5.1 sound.

Here is a diagram : https://i.imgur.com/iaun1GF.png

The TV has a built in Youtube button and when I go on Youtube and test the sound with a video like this :

the speakers don't react like they should :

- when FL and FR play, all speakers are used
- when center plays, only center speaker is used
- when RL and RR play, all speakers are used
- when LFE subwoofer plays, nothing happens

When I play a Netflix 5.1 program and select in Audio the 5.1 language, the RL and RR speakers don't seem to be working as 5.1 speakers.

I've been trying to find out why it's not working, and I'm pretty sure for some reason that I'm missing something. I checked in my TV options and have the Dolby Digital set to Auto : https://i.imgur.com/xU9EZ6j.jpg (I can only chose "AUTO" and "OFF")

Do I need to buy a reciever ? Does the sound need to come out via ARC HDMI from the TV ? Do I need something like a "Optical to 6 channel" unit ? (https://i.imgur.com/ovYmZKa.png ?) Is having 5.1 possible with my system ?

Thank you for all your answers, I am very grateful.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
TV's are not the best choice for decoding signals; that said, the Sony seems decent and a receiver would be overkill for you (unless you decide to get "normal" speakers).
The only suggestion I have is, did you play with the 'Digital Audio Out' setting on the Sony (manual page 27).

Paddy32

Auditioning
Real Name
James S
TV's are not the best choice for decoding signals; that said, the Sony seems decent and a receiver would be overkill for you (unless you decide to get "normal" speakers).
The only suggestion I have is, did you play with the 'Digital Audio Out' setting on the Sony (manual page 27).

Hi Al.Anderson, yes I have tried to play with the Digital Audio Out setting, and all I have is "AUTO" or "OFF". I can't chose anything else.

Attachments

• azdadzad.PNG
    azdadzad.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 314

Paddy32

Auditioning
Real Name
James S
By the way I played Season 1 Episode 1 of Netflix Test Patterns, and the 5.1 works !!! Each speaker works as intended ! It means that only the Youtube App can't push out 5.1, only Stereo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks