What's new

Popping/Farting Active Subwoofer Problem (1 Viewer)

Xtra-Arrow

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan JE
Hello, i currently own a Cerwin Vega LW-12X active subwoofer. i bought it 2nd hand knowing there was a problem with it but wanting to know if it's an easy fix or best sending it in for repair. the problem must be within the amp as i've tried connecting the woofer ot a seperate amp in the same enclosure and it works wonders. whenever i plug the woofer into the subwoofers amp i'm greeted with the problem.

The video shows exactly what is happening. as soon as an audio source comes in and is played it'll play for a few seconds and then make this loud popping/farting sound. as stated i have tried connecting the woofer into a seperate amp and there is nothing wrong with the subwoofer or enclosure.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Sounds like the driver has a damaged voice coil, but if it doesn’t do that with a different amp then that eliminates that. So – amp it is.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Xtra-Arrow

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan JE
Sounds like the driver has a damaged voice coil, but if it doesn’t do that with a different amp then that eliminates that. So – amp it is.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Thamks for your reply Wayne however i did mention that the subwoofer is fully working when connecting up to a different amp, I've tried multiple woofer in the subwoofer active amp ( one im having issues with ) and the same problem persists so something in the amp has gone bust, since it's old could it be the rca ports worn out or maybe the speaker connector although i did check the speaker connector and it seems fine.

Chuck Schilling

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like either a rub or a blown voice coil - when you tried the different amp, are you certain that that second amp hit the same frequencies/SPL you were hitting with the first amp?

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
The last post in this thread is almost 6 months old, so it's likely the issue was resolved by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks