What's new

Sega Saturn appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Dave's Saturn Page is still up?!!?
Wow... I was looking through my old bookmarks, and the site is still (kinda) being updated...
and better still, he has uploaded the Segata Sanshiro commercials from Japan!!!
If you've never seen the commercials, go watch them now!
Dave's Saturn Page
...and anyone know what happened to Fernando Mosquera, from seganet.com? I lost track of him after he went to gamefan...

Matt Broeska

Stunt Coordinator
i got 2 games yesterday. mario sunshine for my cube and an import version of pocket fighter for my saturn. when i got home from work last night, what was the first game i played? pocket fighter of course! what a sweet, funny game. super moves are hilarious. one of my co-workers has it too and has told me about the "punch around the world" special but says he can't remember how to do it (or maybe that it happens so rarely). does anyone here know how to do it?
i also got a 5-in-1 cartridge to play these games from buy-rite games. here's the link.
the only thing i can't figure out is how to make it work in the 4 meg ram mode. when i play and go to the option screen, it says 1 meg ram and i can't change it. anyone know what i might be doing wrong?
at any rate, it's good to see so many people here are still enjoying this system.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Anybody remember the Lobotomy's Saturn versions of Duke Nukem 3D and Quake? Fun as hell, and both were true 3D to boot (even the PC version of Duke wasn't true 3D). Amazing. I remember laughing because the Saturn got Quake whereas the PS (despite its superior 3D handling) never did because of RAM limitations (although it did get Quake 2 eventually).

Incidentally, there is one working Saturn emulator. It's called SSF. I have no idea what games it supports but apparently it does play some (not just demos). The problem is it's in Japanese and bizarrely there is no English version available, just Japanese, Italian and Traditional Chinese. I wonder how it works with Virtua Fighter Remix, I got a copy by mail free from Sega which was kind of weird since I never owned a Saturn myself. The Sega CD is emulated by a number of different emulators -- it's not really that hard since it didn't really have a whole lot over the Genesis except for the CD format and hardware scaling/rotation. A couple emulators even play 32X games.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Matt, the old cart I had just worked

You're better off switching your Saturn and getting the official Capcom cart

Matt Broeska

Stunt Coordinator
jeff, like a really need another system (american AND japanese saturns?!) in my living room. :D
how much of a difference does the 4 meg ram cart make over playing without? i'm sure my cart works fine, i've just not had any time to figure it out.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
"Switching a Saturn" refers to placing a switch on the front of a saturn...
Region coding on a Saturn is achieved through a series of DIP switches. The switch just makes things easier...
UP for American games, DOWN for Japanese imports.

The 4 meg Ram cart allows for faster loading. like, REALLY fast. I'm pretty sure it also loads extra frames on animation on Pocket Fighter.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Import shops might still do them... If you're in Toronto/Scarborough, I know of a place that probably still does it.

Romar Armas

Second Unit
...and anyone know what happened to Fernando Mosquera, from seganet.com? I lost track of him after he went to gamefan...
Wow, now there's a name I haven't heard of in a long while. I used to have a mini site at Sega NET for a while. My friend and I got the Saturn BASIC kit from Japan and I worked on translating it to English but got busy and Sega NET died. Oh well.
I still have my old site: http://www.gunnerx.net/oldsite/saturn_basic/

Matt Broeska

Stunt Coordinator
so after looking 'round the net i found on ncs' website that, "... some shipments of the AR4M [ncs] received from the manufacturer require a simple mod as detailed below in order to play 4M games."
click.
yesterday i got marvel super heroes vs. street fighter and found that i couldn't play it. plus when i play pocket fighter, i can only get into the 1 meg ram mode. would this be why?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Anybody remember the Lobotomy's Saturn versions of Duke Nukem 3D and Quake? Fun as hell, and both were true 3D to boot (even the PC version of Duke wasn't true 3D). Amazing. I remember laughing because the Saturn got Quake whereas the PS (despite its superior 3D handling) never did because of RAM limitations (although it did get Quake 2 eventually).
DEATH TANK!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks