Sega Saturn appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Broeska, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Matt Broeska

Matt Broeska Stunt Coordinator

i thought i'd start this thread 'cause this past week i got the video game system i've always dreamed of getting. i remember when the saturn first came out. i'd just sold my super nintendo and was done video gaming for the time. the sony playstation didn't (and never has) appealed to me. the n64 was in the same boat. i am now, and have always been, a sega kid. this past week i bought a sega saturn, 2 controllers, and 4 games for $80 cdn off of a co-workers' cousin and i couldn't be happier.

among the lot of games was a game i've never heard of before:

guardian heroes.

if anyone's ever played it, i hope you know what i'm talking about. for anyone that hasn't, it's a mix of side scrolling beat-em-ups (like final fight, streets of rage, etc), with the button combos of street fighter, throw in bad guys ranging from knights, zombies, orcs and mechs (?!) and add a little choose your own adventure to give the game a little twist each time you play it and you've got one of the best games i've ever played.

to think that i only bought this system so that i could get the street fighter collection, xmen vs. street fighter, marvel vs. capcom, street fighter alpha 1 and 2, darkstalkers, samurai shodown.... the list goes on and on. oh and don't forget pocket fighter and super puzzle figher!

so how many of you out there still have and play your saturn? if i had the money when they had launched this system i'd've been playing this system non-stop for the past 7 years...

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Matt, you just got yourself a complete & utter bargain. Guardian Heroes is by the cult developer "Treasure". It's very sought after as, like most of their games, it was underappreciated on its release. It goes for a good price on ebay.

3. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

guardian heroes rules! the super fast ninja guy is my favorite. i picked it up at EB for $20 new when the saturn was going out. other saturn greats? saturn bomberman, galactic attack, albert odyssey, dragon force(!), burning rangers, shining force 3, iron storm, dark savior, decathlete, winter heat, panzer dragoon 1 n 2, and my favorite saturn game of all...panzer dragoon saga.

4. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Great system. I still remember paying the big bucks for one of these when they went on early release at select stores.

'Virtua Fighter 2' was amazing for it's time on that system.. especially when compared to the flickering mess that was the Saturn's pack in, 'Virtua Fighter'.

5. Romier S

Romier S Producer

My kind of thread[​IMG]
    2 words:
    Panzer Dragoon!
    and for a third word, just for a little spunk...Saga[​IMG]

6. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Stunt Coordinator

Radiant Silvergun [​IMG]

7. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Well, I've only recently got myself a Saturn, and until I actually get a pad for it I can only play two games (BrianB is on the case for me, which is nice), but what a pair of games! Sega Rally and Daytona may not have the greatest graphics in the world (particularly if you've just been playing GT3), but the sheer fun factor is through the roof. Sega Rally is just wonderful in a way that the DC version failed to be, and Daytona is great for swerving around in a huge pack of cars in a way you just never see these days (I missed the DC release of this, so I can't compare there).

8. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon Saga, PD1, PDZweii, Virtua Cop 1, Virtua Cop 2, Virtua Fighter Remix, Virtua Fighter 2, Gaurdian Hereos, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Capcom Collections.....and Radiant Silvergun!

The Saturn has a great library.

Oh and lets not forget a little title by the name of:

NiGHTS: Into Dreams

9. BrianB

BrianB Producer

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

X-Men vs Street Fighter, amazing port
    I remember laughing at all the suckers with the PS version, almost 0 load time compared to their eternity, all the frames of animation and full tag features
    Life was great [​IMG]
    Sega so needs to make NiGHTS 2, I saw some amazing NiGHTS cosplayers at Otakon last week. I haven't bothered to comb through 80 pages of pics at Fansview looking for them yet. They were running around with a Dr. Robotnick
    Speaking of Sonic, didn't they release Saturn Sonic on some compilation disc? Simply for reference?

11. Matt Broeska

Matt Broeska Stunt Coordinator

12. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

I just bought a Saturn S-Video cable so I could play Enemy Zero again.

I love my Saturn.

Calvin

13. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Umm the SegaCD wasn't the first CD based system, both NEC and Philips had made them before hand with the PC-Engine Duo and the CD-i

14. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I LOVED playing VF2. I got an ASCII stick for 10 bucks, and it was just like playing in the arcade. Fantastic.

Other Saturn Greats:

Street Fighter Collection
    Street Fighter Alpha 2
    Virtua Cop
    Daytona USA

15. Scott Falkler

Scott Falkler Second Unit

NEC made the first CD-ROM based system peripheral.

16. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yup, NEC was the first. And their CD drive was not region coded! [​IMG]
    I think it's the only TV console to have a peripheral w/o a lockout

17. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Brian - Jon replied earlier today, so yes, things are afoot at the Circle K now.

In other cool news, I recieved a text message from my friend who runs a charity shop:

Do you have anything that can play 'Sega Saturn' games?

Why, that will be a yes! Tonight I see what wonders my charitable contribution have scored me...

18. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I never had one, but a close friend did. I still remember playing Daytona until my hands fell off. "Rolling Start..."
    -Andre F

19. BrianB

BrianB Producer

20. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    Let's DEFINITELY not forget the spectacular "Nights into Dreams." (As mentioned above) A REMARKABLE game that should get a sequel on one of the current gen of systems. I'd love to see that.

The Saturn had MANY wonderful games for it. And Panzer Dragoon Saga is a MUST HAVE if you can find it for a reasonable price these days. It was produced in only limited quantities.

At least Panzer appears to be returning on the XBox.

In fact. Could the Saturn be considered the second cult videogame system? (I'd consider the old Vectrex as the first videogame cult machine.)