What's new

Sega Saturn appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

Matt Broeska

Stunt Coordinator
i thought i'd start this thread 'cause this past week i got the video game system i've always dreamed of getting. i remember when the saturn first came out. i'd just sold my super nintendo and was done video gaming for the time. the sony playstation didn't (and never has) appealed to me. the n64 was in the same boat. i am now, and have always been, a sega kid. this past week i bought a sega saturn, 2 controllers, and 4 games for $80 cdn off of a co-workers' cousin and i couldn't be happier.

among the lot of games was a game i've never heard of before:

guardian heroes.

if anyone's ever played it, i hope you know what i'm talking about. for anyone that hasn't, it's a mix of side scrolling beat-em-ups (like final fight, streets of rage, etc), with the button combos of street fighter, throw in bad guys ranging from knights, zombies, orcs and mechs (?!) and add a little choose your own adventure to give the game a little twist each time you play it and you've got one of the best games i've ever played.

to think that i only bought this system so that i could get the street fighter collection, xmen vs. street fighter, marvel vs. capcom, street fighter alpha 1 and 2, darkstalkers, samurai shodown.... the list goes on and on. oh and don't forget pocket fighter and super puzzle figher!

so how many of you out there still have and play your saturn? if i had the money when they had launched this system i'd've been playing this system non-stop for the past 7 years...

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Matt, you just got yourself a complete & utter bargain. Guardian Heroes is by the cult developer "Treasure". It's very sought after as, like most of their games, it was underappreciated on its release. It goes for a good price on ebay.

Nathan A

Second Unit
guardian heroes rules! the super fast ninja guy is my favorite. i picked it up at EB for $20 new when the saturn was going out. other saturn greats? saturn bomberman, galactic attack, albert odyssey, dragon force(!), burning rangers, shining force 3, iron storm, dark savior, decathlete, winter heat, panzer dragoon 1 n 2, and my favorite saturn game of all...panzer dragoon saga.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Great system. I still remember paying the big bucks for one of these when they went on early release at select stores.

'Virtua Fighter 2' was amazing for it's time on that system.. especially when compared to the flickering mess that was the Saturn's pack in, 'Virtua Fighter'.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
My kind of thread:)
2 words:
Panzer Dragoon!
and for a third word, just for a little spunk...Saga:D

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Well, I've only recently got myself a Saturn, and until I actually get a pad for it I can only play two games (BrianB is on the case for me, which is nice), but what a pair of games! Sega Rally and Daytona may not have the greatest graphics in the world (particularly if you've just been playing GT3), but the sheer fun factor is through the roof. Sega Rally is just wonderful in a way that the DC version failed to be, and Daytona is great for swerving around in a huge pack of cars in a way you just never see these days (I missed the DC release of this, so I can't compare there).

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon Saga, PD1, PDZweii, Virtua Cop 1, Virtua Cop 2, Virtua Fighter Remix, Virtua Fighter 2, Gaurdian Hereos, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Capcom Collections.....and Radiant Silvergun!

The Saturn has a great library.

Oh and lets not forget a little title by the name of:

NiGHTS: Into Dreams

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've only recently got myself a Saturn, and until I actually get a pad for it I can only play two games (BrianB is on the case for me, which is nice),
Did Jon get in touch with you, mate? Let me know if the two of you haven't talked, I'll prod him into action later on today.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
X-Men vs Street Fighter, amazing port
I remember laughing at all the suckers with the PS version, almost 0 load time compared to their eternity, all the frames of animation and full tag features
Life was great :)
Sega so needs to make NiGHTS 2, I saw some amazing NiGHTS cosplayers at Otakon last week. I haven't bothered to comb through 80 pages of pics at Fansview looking for them yet. They were running around with a Dr. Robotnick
Speaking of Sonic, didn't they release Saturn Sonic on some compilation disc? Simply for reference?

Matt Broeska

Stunt Coordinator
2 words: Panzer Dragoon!
this is all anyone can talk about with this system! a friend of mine has it. i'll for sure have to put it on my games to borrow list.

while talking about sega... why is it they did all the amazing things first (stereo games, first internet capable, 1st cd based system, 1st 128 bit system) but always failed? it's like sony and nintendo just sit back and wait for them to do something innovative and new, then release their version with better pr and bad games... and then succeed?! maybe i'm just bitter because the dreamcast didn't do as well as it should have.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Umm the SegaCD wasn't the first CD based system, both NEC and Philips had made them before hand with the PC-Engine Duo and the CD-i

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
I LOVED playing VF2. I got an ASCII stick for 10 bucks, and it was just like playing in the arcade. Fantastic.

Other Saturn Greats:

Street Fighter Collection
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Virtua Cop
Daytona USA

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yup, NEC was the first. And their CD drive was not region coded! :)
I think it's the only TV console to have a peripheral w/o a lockout

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Brian - Jon replied earlier today, so yes, things are afoot at the Circle K now.

In other cool news, I recieved a text message from my friend who runs a charity shop:

Do you have anything that can play 'Sega Saturn' games?

Why, that will be a yes! Tonight I see what wonders my charitable contribution have scored me...

Andre F

Screenwriter
I never had one, but a close friend did. I still remember playing Daytona until my hands fell off. "Rolling Start..."
-Andre F

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Let's DEFINITELY not forget the spectacular "Nights into Dreams." (As mentioned above) A REMARKABLE game that should get a sequel on one of the current gen of systems. I'd love to see that.

The Saturn had MANY wonderful games for it. And Panzer Dragoon Saga is a MUST HAVE if you can find it for a reasonable price these days. It was produced in only limited quantities.

At least Panzer appears to be returning on the XBox.

In fact. Could the Saturn be considered the second cult videogame system? (I'd consider the old Vectrex as the first videogame cult machine.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks