What's new

SUPER NES CLASSIC announced (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I guess I misread the box. I was kind of annoyed that the main reason I bought the game was locked, but I guess it's not that bad.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Due to a website glitch, I was able to pre-order the European version of the SNES classic last month. It arrived this week. I wanted this design because my brother and I imported the Super Famicom in the early 1990s, so it has a lot of nostalgic resonance for me. The Super Famicom has a more-or-less identical design to the European SNES (more rounded, colorful buttons on the controllers). I prefer it over the blocky purple-and-cream design released in North America.

The menu graphics are different on the EU version, but the game list is identical to the North American one. I knew beforehand that it didn't come with an AC adapter (due to inconsistent plugs in Europe?), so rather than trying to find an appropriate powered USB port around my TV, I bought an extra NES classic adapter straight from the online Nintendo Store, and it works like a charm with the included cable.

I wish they had included Pilotwings and Actraiser. I'd gladly take those over Kirby Super Star and Kirby's Dream Course. Or better yet, in addition to those games.

Star Fox and Star Fox 2 are... well, rough. The blocky graphics and poor framerate are much harder to tolerate now that 3D is no longer a novelty. I played the heck out of the first one back in the day. I respect it, but it's aged poorly.

Anecdotal stories are floating around about how easy the SNES was to buy if you just put in a little effort. For some people that's true, but the word "little" means different things to different people. In my area, you had to line up at 4am at a big box store just for the opportunity, and many, many people (in the hundreds) were turned away. That's a lot of effort for anyone over 40 with a job and a family. Ordering online was arguably more difficult (I know because I braved it, automatic alerts sent to my phone, constant refreshing). I hope no one has to pay over $80 (+tax and shipping) for these, and with any luck, they won't have to.

This is a fun little system, and looks great on the shelf next to the NES Classic, which I hope more people will be able to buy next year.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'd of loved to have seen Pilotwings here. Still enjoy playing it even though many now label it as a mere tech demo (Although I've never mastered the hang glider in this one).

It's on my Wii U and I own the original cartridge, so I'm personally all set for it. But I still think it was deserving of a spot here.

Sim City is also missed for Nintendo's in-house content (While based on the Maxis/EA classic and thus requiring EA's cooperation for it to be included here, the SuperNes effort was done by Nintendo themselves and published by Nintendo).

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Amazon still hasn't shipped anyone's system out. Glad they were just my backup plan after getting a preorder in at Best Buy a few hours earlier.

And I have to say that my biggest complaint at this point is the stupid controller port door. Idiotic decision since it's fragile feeling and looks ugly when the system is setup to use. The collector's sect that just wants it to look pretty on a shelf are keeping it in the box anyways, so who is this supposed to even benefit?

I'd much rather have two Wiimote controller ports surface mounted on the front of the system just like the NES Classic did, rather than this useless cover that's supposed to make it look more authentic when the system is disconnected.

Last edited:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
You know, I really didn't notice that the SNES Classic release scenario was much different in these parts than the NES Classic one. Maybe even worse, in that it seems numerous resellers got a lot more of them this time. Perhaps by Christmas then, I do realize Canada isn't as important/large a market as many others.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Couple reports of them showing up in stores here and there. I'm still looking for one and willing to pay for tax and shipping if anyone sees one on a shelf! Thanks in advance!

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Have fun! I started playing Super Mario RPG a few days ago. I never played it back when I had a Super Nintendo so this is my first time. It’s funky but kind of fun.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Let’s see... My brother and I got a NES for Christmas around 1986 and we amassed a library of about a hundred games. I got a Sega Genesis for Christmas in 1989 and the SNES didn’t debut until 1991 so I was already invested in Sega by that point, as were all my friends who played video games. I think only one of my friends got a SNES when it came out and he only had two or three games for it. Another friend in high school whose parents were wealthier got a NEO-GEO and we all drooled over that. I was late to the party on the SNES and didn’t get one until around 1995-96. By then, a lot of games were out of print/hard to find and used game stores didn’t yet exist here. I think the only titles I owned for the SNES were Super Mario World, Street Fighter II, and Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Only one video store here rented SNES games and their library was pretty poor and didn’t contain any RPGs, which has always been my favorite genre but I was still able to rent and play Super Metroid, Super Punchout, Starfox, UN Squadron, and a few more of the really popular titles. I think I ended up giving away my SNES after I bought a PlayStation in 96-97 and that became my primary gaming system until the PS2.

Now, after saying all that, the SNES Classic is fantastic because I’m getting to play not only some of the best SNES titles (although there are a few key titles missing), but about half the games on it are new to me. I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks