What's new

Scream 4. Here it comes! (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Craven and the cast members have always said this but....

1. When it comes to horror films, if it makes money a sequel will follow.

2. When an actor/director aren't cutting it, return to something that will make money and put you back in the spotlight.

Neve Campbell once said she'd NEVER appear nude. When the cash runs out..... SCREAM 4 follows.

Drew Mertz

Stunt Coordinator
Its all about the money people. If the Weinsteins are bringing it up the reason is this... They split with Disney so there on there own now, New company etc. They have a film series that has done very well and horrow movies are cheap (by hollywood standards) to make. So they can Spend 12 - 25 million and put it in US theaters and with the Scream name attached it will pull in around 100 million at the box office. Thats a pretty good profit to start there new company off with...

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I liked Scream 1 & 2. Didn't care for 3. Thought it was lame. I am not so much against a 4th one. What I am against is this. I just hope it doesn't revive those horrifying horror/comedy like movies of the late 90's. As a fan of serious horror for the most part, it was just a bad time for me. All the teens quoting the movies and the lines was just mind boggling when I was in High School. I felt like bringing Gin & Tonic to class to get through it. It's just a period I hope never comes back.

Anyways, let's drift back to the 70's/80's for a second.

Halloween? There should have never been a sequel period. Michael was best left off as a mysterious character who just vanished and stalked without cause. Laurie was in the wrong place at the wrong time. It just add's so much more to it overall. This series was so simplistic to begin with and the sequels just turned it into a family drama.

What killed the Friday the 13th series IMO? It was once a highly profitable series if you consider inflation. Especially the first 4.

It began at part 5. Coming off the heels of The Final Chapter (which was billed and marketed as the Final movie very heavily) only one year later. The fake Jason clone didn't help either. I was very, very young at the time, but still remember a tad of it. This irked people at the time. Starting at Part 6, you drift into highly screwball ideas. Part 6 is appreciated now by fans, at the time of it's release people hated it. Thats why it had a good opening and then drifted out quickly. Movies drift out quickly now, but many didn't in the 80's. The whole financial box office worked differently. Even fans of the series at that time hated it. The movie was ahead of it's time and actually has more in common with mid 90's horror. Basically, it should have come out in 1996.

What really killed it ultimately? 7-10 and the really stupid ideas. It's funny to watch a series go from being a psychotically brutal series (which was shunned for being so) from 80-84 to a complete parody of itself by 89-93. Jason X was the topper and made things even worse for the character. Whoever gave that a greenlight thinking it would help the character was just a pure moron. I mean it was a Mad TV spoof in 94.

Studios never understood it, but fans/mainstream of the 80's just didn't want Jason brought out of a camp site. If you were to bring him out, at least bring him out into something interesting. Manhattan might have worked if the movie was actually given a budget to be shot there. A lot of things you can do in a big city. The movies made profit's of many, many, many millions. Let's give a budget of more than $10 for a movie entitled Jason take Manhattan. It could have been a fun rollar coaster ride if done correctly.

Freddy vs Jason is an entirely different story altogether. I hated the movie, but they did use both characters natual locations at least.

The series should have ended at 4. Make something like Part 6 in the mid 90's. It would have worked then. April Fool's Day being the other 86 Horror Film that felt more suited to the 90's. Then just do one every 10 years or so. FVJ could have been the one for the 2000's. You wouldn't have worn the character out.

What killed Freddy for the mainstream? 1989 and the release of NOES 5 followed by the horrifying (not in a good way) Freddy's Dead. Enough said. I saw both theatrically and hated both even at the time when I was 11. Along with most everyone else. Elm Street 4 doesn't hold up very well nowadays, but was fun in 1988. Though I was a kid, but people seemed to enjoy it back then.

If there was to be another Freddy/Jason crossover, it might work and would probably make money. I just hope that they would actually use the strengths of the series instead of the negatives like FVJ did. Number 1, the characters were just awful. Some of the worst in any horror film or otherwise I have ever seen IMO.

Use the interesting Freddy Dream sequences of the Elm Street series crossed with the vicious conventional deaths (ax, spear, pitchfork, etc) of the earlier F13 movies. It's what I wanted out of the movie and didnt get. That and human characters I would call mediocre at least. Lori was no Elm Street 1 Nancy. I didnt give one damn about her or her story. Oh Yeah. If your listening New Line. If you do make a new movie of either character or both, please leave Will and Lori out of it. They don't allow the heavy vodka intake I would need at the movie theater to endure their appearences again.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for that. It sounds much more interesting than the revelation of "yet another random killer with an alleged connection". Although I do think, in theory, the setting of the third film on a movie set makes more sense for the series than the idea you pointed to, but they just did the movie-set thing really badly.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
If they do decide to do a Scream 4 I hope they go with a concept that made the first one unique (horror movie based on the cliches of other horror movies).

This time they should come up with a story line to chastise the redundant, and unnecessary sequels (as noted above about Friday the 13th should have stopped after 4, but is now up to 10).

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Ryan,

I recall fans loving FRIDAY 6 when it came out (I was 24 at the time). It was a real crowd pleaser in the theatre, and diehard fans were truly glad to see the "real" Jason back.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Joe,

Part 4 was a Box Office Blockbuster in 84. Part 5 made about half of what Part 4 did theatrically. WHen your box office is cut in half between movies, that shows a pretty large degrade in interest. Part 6 made a little less than Part 5. Copycat Jason made more money than the return of the return of the real Jason. Thats just sad.

7 made even less. 8-X were all theatrical flops. Not bombs because of their budget levels, but flops all the same.

They all made money in the long run.

Freddy lost half of his revenue between Part 4 and 5 as well. Elm Street 4 was a blockbuster in 88. Part 5 was considered a flop in 89 compared to Part 4. Even Elm Street 2 was a success. 1-4 all were.

Rocky? Same thing. Massive financial drop between 4 and 5.

Halloween? Same thing. Part 4 was considered a success and 5 was considered a flop. Though neither groos was spectacular.

People just don't seem to like that Number 5.

Freddy vs Jason pulled them out of the slumps and was a hit (because of it's crossover appeal). It's the first hit Jason had since 84 and Freddy since 88. Though Freddy's Dead did fairly well.

So, I figure a movie series has about 4 movies in it before people wear out on it (not counting anniversary movies every 10-20 years).

So, yes. A Scream 4 would likely be a hit. Especially since it would be an anniversary movie. Just don't go for that number 5.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I hear what you're saying about the box office $$, Ryan, but I'm saying that it seemed to me that the diehard fans ate up Part 6 after the disappointing and bogus "New Beginning".

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Matt, I covered that.

"Anniversary Movie". By that, I meant H20. People either didn't view it as a sequel or viewed it as a 3rd sequel to the original franchise. A couple of people in my HS thought it was the first movie in the series (yeah, they lived under a rock). it also had a name going for it and an idea that sounded good on paper.

I'll give u that H8 did ok too. But, I still to this day don't know why. I thought it was one of the worst movies ever made. It wasn't the minor hit H20 was and still made about half of what H20 did. IMO, it could very well be the worst movie that any of these franchises ever spawned.

Basically, the worst movies in each series tended to perform the worst, so I might be off a bit. People might have just noticed.

Friday 8/JGTH/JX/N5/H5/H6 were all the underperformers. Though judging from the list, it shouldnt really surprise anyone. Those were probably by many accounts the worst movies in each series.

Freddy's Dead and Halloween 8 (to me the worst of each respective series) were both abominations that somehow managed to pull a rabbit out of a hat. Both were truly terrible.

Though I did feel there was something a tad good somewhere in the H6 Producers cut. Shame most nobody will ever see it. Nightmare 5 had a few creative moments (and Alice was an ok character), but just doesnt work for me. It has always just seemed very boring to me even from the first time I saw it. I will give it one thing. The movie looks great on DVD, but most of the Elm Street's do.

Many will not agree with me, but I would still take ELm Street 2 and day of the week over Freddy's Dead. At least you had the neat beginning and a few moments sprinkled throughout. Freddy was still somewhat frightening as well. Oh well, thats the way things go.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Ryan, the main thing is that VERY VERY VERY few horror movies make it over to the mainstream crowd. For whatever reasons, SCREAM did, although I honestly believe the studio lied about how much money it did make. I remember seeing it opening day, first screening and with three other people. One was my father.

Even if critics said FRIDAY THE 13th PART 20 was better than CITIZEN KANE, the majority of people wouldn't go see it. The horror genre has been looked down upon since the 1920s and this here will never change. The sad truth is that many look at horror fans as freaks so the films will never get the credit they deserve but many times, they don't deserve ANY credit. :D

Craven has made some terrible films but you've gotta give him credit wity ANOES and SCREAM. He got the mainstream crowds into the theaters and got good to great reviews from critics, which is very hard to do with a horror film.

Mark Hawley

Second Unit
It's funny though that Friday VI might have been considered a great box office success. Since Friday V had a near 50% dropoff from Part IV, the producers might have expected a similar dropoff from Part VI (50% less than part V). Since it only made slightly less than than Part V, it might've been considered a great success and have been credited with staving off a massively ailing franchise.

It's interesting to note that even those there's some massive flucuation in grosses, all entries in the Nightmare, Friday and Halloween franchises have been profitable, at the very least, in terms of a gross-to-cost ratios. I would say they've been especially profitable in the cable and video markets as well since almost everybody I knew, at the time, had at least rented them.

Also, the original Scream was truly a word of mouth film. I remember it having a very modest opening weekend, but it really hung in there, and bit by bit, managed to make itself over $100 million at the box office.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
The sequels sucked anyway. They were just tired and stupid, whereas the first one was a nifty horror film. An R rated horror film! Today it would be PG-13 and complete crap.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I made the common mistake of reading nearly the entire first page, getting geeked out, before I realized this is a three year old thread. My favorite type of horror film is a slasher flick, so I'll take what I can get. The Scream series has'nt let me down and I'll give the fourth a chance if it's ever made.

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks