What's new

Scream 4. Here it comes! (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
Wes Craven told attendees that he recently had breakfast with Neve Campbell, who said she had recently spoken with the Weinsteins about coming back for Scream 4. Campbell apparently is seriously considering playing Sidney Prescott again in the highly-profitable franchise.

http://comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=11016

Poor Neve, she must be broke.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
You know, a lot of people are going to trash the premise for this movie by saying that the series should have been left as a trilogy, but I'm going to give it a chance.

I mean, after all, this series was always about riffing on horror movies, and, as we all know, one of the hallmarks of the genre is the fact that it's never really over. How many movies have been labelled as "the last one" in a horror series, only to have a sequel?

The Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th series have each done this (with the latter having two "final" entries).

Britton

Screenwriter
Even worse was reading news a third installment of the "I Know What You Did Last Summer" series. I bet it will be one of those direct-to-video sequels with no real connection to the first two.

Neve must die in Scream 4.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I think Randy should come back(faked his death) and team up with Dewey to kill Sydney.

Now that would be cool

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Since the subject of the Scream movies has come up...

Is there any information anywhere about where Kevin Williamson was planning to go with his Scream 3 script? I find it hard to believe his ideas were any worse than those that ended up on-screen, and would love to know how he was planning on tying the whole series together.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Hmmm. I really like the first, second was ok, third blew. Too large of main cast members and no one died.

Guess I could give 4 a try, if it does come out.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
* Script "4th wall conversations" should include sequels after the supposed end of a series, lots of material to discuss wittly there.

* Sydney should be killed off about 1/3rd through the film.

MichelleB

Stunt Coordinator
HUGE fan of the Scream Trilogy here!
This is great news but only if Courtney and David are in on it too. It just wouldn't be the same without those two. It's been a while since we had a good horror/slasher movie. These days it's only ghost/haunting movies like The Grudge, The Ring, Cursed...enough already!! I wanna see some good old blood shed. lol

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Yeah, I really only want to see this done if everyone from the original is involved, including Wes Craven and Kevin Williamson. I don't know how likely that is, but my interest will be much diminished without their involvement.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm a huge fan of the first two films, so I figure, why not release another? The series certainly has the potential to re-invent itself.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I thought the first film worked well as a stand-alone incident and it felt like a new take on an old theme. But two more times after that (and now a third) is pushing it.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

But certainly not pushing it as much as the HALLOWEEN, F13 and NIGHTMARE series. :D

The first two were great but the third was a horrid way to end the series so I say bring on the 4th film.

Cory H.

Stunt Coordinator

...which doesn't make a lot of sense. With the sequel taking place a TWO YEARS after Julie and the gangs initial run in with the fisherman, it's already incorrectly titled. Should have been "I Still Know What You Did 2 Summers Ago", with the 3rd titled as "I Kind of Remember What You Did 3 Summers Back". :D

Either way, horrible idea for the IKWYDLS franchise. As for "Scream", I'm a huge fan, and after having seen "Red Eye", I think that Craven could come up with his own coherent script, and maybe make more than one sleeper hit every 5 years. Although, "Scream" stepping into "Hellraiser" territory isn't all that exciting.

James T

Screenwriter
I don't think they need to kill Sydney. They need to either kill off Courtney Cox/David Arquette and/or make them the new killer.

All the killers in the previous films were connected somehow. They're starting to run out of connections.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
The original idea was for Scream 3 to go back to Woodsboro High. And a series of copycat killings was taking place there. The killer would have been Dewey, who'd set it all up from the beginning. This was dropped when it leaked on the internet (unfortunate, because it makes a lot more sense than what happened with part 3). They also dropped the High School concept after Columbine. I guess deaths taking place in and of itself is okay, so long as the setting is different. (reminds me of the MPAA, horrific violence is okay for people 17 and older... just cut out .248 seconds of the neck sliding down the pole and we'll allow it...)

A better title for "I know 3" would be "I Will Always Know..."

The Scream series definitely has potential. If they did it right it would certainly be amazing. I'd say let Kevin Williamson write it... but seeing what happened to CURSED when DIMENSION messed with that, as well as The Faculty and Teaching Mrs. Tingle... they just LOVE to take his stuff and mess with it. Hell, even Dawson's Creek turned to crap when they took the concept he created and went in their own direction (he left after season 2's finale).

Considering next Fall is the 10th Anniversary of SCREAM... I could see a new film as being hyped. Just don't let the Weinstein brothers have creative control over it...

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I don't agree. Because what I meant is that the whole point of SCREAM was that it was a "mystery" -- the question was: 'just WHO were the killer/killers'? Once the mystery was solved the first time, and the culprit(s) revealed, the same formula became repeated ad nauseum, and then the filmmakers just had to throw anyone into the costume to repeat the same routine as SCREAM 1 (and the "culprit(s)" revealed in PART 2 was really reaching, IMO). It's the kind of isolated incident that only occurs once; to repeat it again with different people holding similar grudges and doing the same things in the same masks is pushing it. At least with Michael Myers, Jason and Freddy, it's always Michael Myers, Jason and Freddy!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

Wow, it's hard to believe it's been that long. With the changes it made to the horror genre/lexicon, it really seems quite modern.

...and it's starting to make me feel old :)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Not always though.

"Throwing everyone in the mix" could wear some the wrong way but this idea was certainly due to Hitchcock who "cheated" several times. The mystery aspect was good in all three films so I don't have a problem there either.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
THIS is funny. I just got my R4 anamorphic SCREAM yesterday from Australia, (which looks FAB, btw.) and last nite I watched "Behind the Scream" a decent doc. about the "TRILOGY". Where EVERYONE said it was always meant to be a "TRILOGY" Kinda funny, if U ask me.
What sucks is that SCREAM was a genuinely scary, good rollercoaster ride but after the "Scary Movie" type riffs, it doesn't work for me anymore. damn!

:) d

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks