What's new

Samsung 61" DLP RPTV (1 Viewer)

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Has anyone actually seen the 61"'er? I was VERY impressed with a 43" I saw set up at Tweeters. It blew away all the CRT-based RPTV's that were on display there(IMHO). Do DLP RPTV's have any of the DLP hazards like rainbows, eye fatigue, and headaches as reported on some DLP projection systems?

Gordon

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Those problems seem to be reduced with each generation of DLP engines. The consensus is that if any technology stands a chance of outperforming tried-and-true CRTs, it's DLP. At this time, the best DLP projectors still can't match CRT's superior performance with rich black levels. That day may be drawing to a close, however.

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Those problems seem to be reduced with each generation of DLP engines. The consensus is that if any technology stands a chance of outperforming tried-and-true CRTs, it's DLP. At this time, the best DLP projectors still can't match CRT's superior performance with rich black levels. That day may be drawing to a close, however.
Thanks, Jack!
To my inexperienced eye, the Samsung DLP (it was 50", not 43") was far beyond all the CRT RPTV's set up at Tweeters. It appeared (to me) as good as a high-end plasma unit. The CRT's were "smoother", but not nearly as sharp or as "deep" an image, with both on the same source. Maybe with a good calibration by a pro they would be.

My wife and I saw no rainbow or other DLP artifacts, but did experience the eyestrain after watching for a while as I posted elsewhere. I'm hoping it's something our eyes would adjust to, 'cause I loved the image!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks