What's new

Question about Samsung DLP pic quality (about to take the plunge) (1 Viewer)

I'm about to take the plunge and purchase a 61" Samsung DLP RPTV Model HLN617W. This is at the upper end of my budget for a TV, but I currently have a 7 year-old Toshiba CF36G40 (36" 4:3 CRT), so it's time for an upgrade.

I've heard good reviews both regarding the "HD2" technology and this particular model. I'm aware of potentially seeing "rainbows" so I'll inspect one before purchasing and will purchase it at a place that has money-back guarantee.

Here's my issue: I currently do not have access to HDTV. I own a Dish Network DVR 721 on which I recieve standard def. programming. I know Dish Network offers HDTV receivers, but I'm attached to the DVR. I'm not yet ready to upgrade to their 9xx series DVR which offers HD recording capability. Therefore all of my viewing will consist of SD programming via Dish Network (except of course 420p DVD).

Many of the reviews state that "poor signals" viewed with this Samsung look "exceptionally poor". I don't know if the "poor signals" to which the reviewers are referring envelope all SDTV, or just over-the-air weak signals. I guess what I'm tring to ask is, "Will this upgrade look like a downgrade if I only use it for SDTV & occasional progressive scan DVD?"

Thanks for advising a noobie.

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
You will be disappointed with the SD pic quality on DLP technology. How far you sit from the set will determine to what extent. DVD 480p will look wonderful and any Xbox gaming you may do.

Another thing. Despite these SD PQ shortfalls, I also am getting one of the new Sammy DLP's soon (Sept). Might I suggest you wait for the new ones to come out instead of buying the HLN617W. The HLP models are showing up now and the 61" is available with the newer HD3 chipset. The new one with the HD3 chipset is the HLP6163WX, at $4299.

There is another chipset coming out for the DLP's called the HD2+ chipset which actually outperforms the HD3 substantially. However, the largest screen it will be available on is the 56" Tantus. Something to think about.

Scott Stevens

Stunt Coordinator
AVS forum is curently conducting a 'powerbuy" of the new Samsung HLP sets with the HD3 chip. SD picture on these sets is (for most people) much improved over the HLN models. The HLP sets also have an additional HDMI connector, and a few other improvements. You can get the 61" shipped to your door for $3699. It should start shipping sometime in mid-August. I've got one on order.

Dan Ponze

Stunt Coordinator
From what I understand the HD3 chip is actually inferior to the newer HD2 chips. It's cheaper to make. Do a search for more info as it gets very very confusing.

Leo_P

Second Unit
My advice: WAIT!
You don't have any HD coming in and that 7-year old TV probably looks better than most HDTV's displaying SD.
The DLP market is in a state of flux right now. It's a REAL transitional period. Samsung basically runs the DLP show, but LOT's of manufacturers are coming out with DLP sets and competition is good for price/performance. The HD3 chips out now (HLP's) will probably be replaced with the (hopefully) better HD2+ DMD by year's end.
If you can wait till the end of the year, do so. If not, buy whatever looks best to you and enjoy!;)
For me, when I bought my HLN4365 (in the sig) last year, there was NO choice. If you wanted a DLP set you HAD to get a Samsung, unless you wanted to pay out the nose for an Optoma or something. If I were buying again now, I'd get a 46".:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks