What's new

RPTV - CRT vs DLP??? - help (1 Viewer)

DavidDon

Stunt Coordinator
I seem to rely on the opinions of other "fanatics" lately, using the forum as a better and more reliable reference than some clueless salesperson.

I am looking into a 60"+ RPTV. The problem is, the sets around me (on sales floors) are noticably uncalibrated and seem to be recieving varying levels of signal quality. Therefore, a side by side evaluation doesn't seem to make much sense.

I had narrowed my choice down to the Hitachi 65" swx CRT based RPTV. Now, DLP technology and packaging has caught my eye/interest. Samsung has one that is 61".

Does anyone have an opinion on the image quality of these two sets/technologies? How well is DLP in dark movie scenes? I enjoy DVD movies and am on the edge of my seat (for a couple of years yet I know) for HD DVDs. When I get my new set I will quickly get a HD Sat receiver as well.

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
David,

If you have patience. I would just simply wait. I went to CES over the weekend and seen the DLP sets and the minor problems that they have had with sets, which have nothing to do with picture will be resolved in the second quarter of this year. Samsung will have a 46", 56" and I believe a 65" to go along with the 43", 50" and 61". The new sets feature more functionality and slicker case. When I looked at the DLP sets they were alot sharper and stunning then standard rptv, LCOS and some of the plasmas. Well that was my 2 cents.

DavidDon

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. Waiting is not one of my assets, but I seem to do it anyway. I may consider something in the 42" range for now and move it to another room later when I get a 60"+ for movie watching.

I am curious though...You mention problems, but not with the picture. What do you mean?

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a link to AVS Form. It has all the answers to whatever may be wrong with the set. Most are very minor problems that are being resolved with the new line.
AVSForm
But trust me the set is just beautiful. jaw dropping to be exact.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks