Anyone have HT pics of an RPTV with curtains? Show off your theater design please!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JeffHayes, Apr 3, 2003.

1. JeffHayes

JeffHayes Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,

I am in the final stages (equipment procurement and curtains) of finishing my dedicated theater room. I am looking for any pics to plagiarize ideas from. I will be running a 61" Samsung DLP RPTV at the front of my room. It will sit in a niche in the front wall that is about 2 feet deep. The ceilings in the room are 8 feet tall. I am thinking about putting red velvet curtains on either side of the screen with a long valance that touches the top of the tv from the ceiling. Well, that's ONE idea. I'm not certain what to do in terms of a center speaker though if I do this. The stand that the TV will sit on does not have a large enough space to fit my Paradigm Reference Studio CC in it.

So, anyone have pics of their theater with curtains and an RPTV setup?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

3. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Jeff,
    I just finished my basement theater and plan on doing curtains around my 61" RPTV the exact same way you want to. All I've done so far is price the velvet. My center currently sits on a speaker stand like the center channel stands from wood technology. They only make a 12, 18 and 28 inch stand for centers. Here's a link

http://www.wood-tech.com/standscc.html

this place sells the same stand a lot cheaper
    http://www.hififorless.com/acatalog/...LOGY_1326.html

4. Pam W

Pam W Stunt Coordinator

Jeffhayes,

We are in the process of building our dedicated Home Theater that includes our 64" Pioneer Elite. I don't have pics yet, because we aren't to that phase of the construction, but I'll try to describe what we are doing.

The Elite will sit on center stage. We have built a three sided "surround" frame that will slide onto it (Top and both sides). The surround will be completely covered with FR 701 (acoustically transparent GoM fabric). The top Center section is just a frame - not solid - the center speaker will fit behind it.

About 8 inches in front of the Elite/surround is a false procenium. In between the false procenuim and the Elite/surround will be the curtain.

BTW, the false procenium will also be covered entirely in FR 701. There are cutouts on either side for the speakers and subs.

Hope you can visualize this![​IMG]

Pam

5. JeffHayes

Cool, thanks guys. I'll check out the theaters page again. I spent some time looking through that a couple days ago, but it seems that not many people have the curtain thing happening when they use an RPTV... just FP people.

Legairre,
    Yep.. I've looked into the Wood Tech stuff before. Thanks for the link on the cheaper place to get it. The biggest issue I have with stuff that is close to the floor is that I have a Siberian Husky and a Himalayan cat that shed fur a WHOLE LOT! Couple that with natural "inquisitiveness" and our first baby (my wife and I that is... not me and the dog or cat [​IMG] ) on the way... well... you can see why keeping things out of easy reach is a priority.

Pam, I can SORTA visualize it... let us know when you have some finished pics so I can see if my mind was just a blubbering idiot. [​IMG]

Time to peruse the theater pics...

Later,
    Jeff

6. Thomas_C_S

Thomas_C_S Auditioning

Just an idea, but why just box in the entire TV. Instead, what if you box it in so that all you see is the screen, and not the bottom part. Then, you could put moulding or something around it to look like it is a very large Plasma screen, or a projection screen. Just an idea.

7. JeffHayes

Thomas,

Not sure if I follow you. How does boxing the entire TV into the front of my room help me with regards to Center Channel placement? Also, construction on the room of any sort (building new wall or frame or whatever) is strictly out of the question for lots of reasons.

Thanks for the thought though.

Later,
    Jeff

8. Pam W

Pam W Stunt Coordinator

Thomas,

What a concept! Duh on me!!!! We'll get busy finishing the 4th side (yes my husband has just finished building the three sided frame). The electrician comes tomorrow![​IMG]

Pam

9. JeffHayes

Well duuuuuuhhhhh. No wonder I didn't understand what Thomas meant... he was talking to PAM! :b

Feeling like a moron...
    Jeff

10. Thomas_C_S

Thomas_C_S Auditioning

Sorry Jeff, should have adressed to more clearly. Sorry!

11. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

12. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

Darren... I love the theme! You need to get some better pictures and post them here!

13. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

Yes, The pics are quite poor....to the point I am really ashamed of posting them. The wife just brought home a digital camera....once I have time to review the instructions I will post some quality photos of the Cyberdyne Cinema.

14. Raceen

Raceen Agent

Jeff,

Wow, you and I think alike! I just did the same exact thing for my Tosh 57" widescreen rptv. I found some plush red velvet curtain material on ebay for a great price. (type "velvet curtain in the search and you'll find great prices by the yard) With the help of my mom (she's great!) we fitted the curtain to drop on either side of the screen from the celing to the floor and also from the celiing to the top of the TV.

The result was fantastic! When the lights are dim, the TV screen looks like a flat screen flush with the wall.

I was able to keep all my components behind the curtain as well and the remote control was still able to penetrate through it.

Unfortunately, I don't ahve any pics right now....but when I do, I'll try to post them.

Hope this helps you make a decision!

-Raceen

15. JeffHayes

Excellent, Raceen. I can't wait to see some pics!!

What did you end up doing in terms of placing your center channel speaker?

Also, did you say you got the "plush velvet"? I keep looking on that ebay store for red plush velvet, but haven't seen enough fabric on the same roll to handle my room. I need about 30 yards or so to do all the drapes we want. Then I just need someone to sew it! [​IMG]

Do you happent to have any remnants of the fabric you used left? I'd love to check this stuff out myself.

Thanks,
    Jeff

16. Raceen

Raceen Agent

Jeff,
    The center channel speaker, as well as my front left and right, reside behind the curtain. I figured since an IR signal can penetrate the curtain, than sound can as well. But, psycologically, it bothers me. [​IMG] So, here is what I plan to do: For the center channel, I have planned to build a rectangular frame that measures the length of the top of the TV and the heigth of my center channel. I will then cover the front with speaker cloth and place my center channel inside it. So, basically, I'm creating an empty speaker box for my center channel that will be as wide as the TV so the curtain will fall from the ceiling to the box.

Or I'll just place the center speaker in the front of the TV depending on how lazy I get.

As for the fabric, are you sure you need 30 yards? Remember that it comes about 3.5 feet wide. They do sell entire bolts of 30 yards though. And yes, I do have a small reminant left. I could send you a piece if you'd like.

17. JeffHayes

Raceen,

No, I haven't done the final calculations on the amount of material needed. My mom sent me the equation to use. [​IMG]

That would be AWESOME if you could snail mail me a small remnant of the stuff!!! I'll PM you with my address.

Hmmm... placing the speakers behind curtains that are not acoustically transparent troubles me. I like your box idea... I think someone else suggested that as well. I'm am still evaluating my options.

I received the new tv today, and I am not certain how I feel about the height of the tv as it stands right now. I may have to purchase a different stand so I need to make some more decisions before I jump on the velvet purchase.

Thanks again,
    Jeff

18. JeffHayes

FWIW, I finally have some pics of my theater. It's not decorated or anything and is currently in a "it works but it is far from done" state. Pics are located here.

Thanks,
    Jeff