What's new

Rumpole of the Bailey TV Series on Blu Ray...when?!! (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Another series in great need for a restoration and BD Boxset is the classic BBC series Rumpole of the Bailey with the might Leo McKern ~ I have the dvd set and even the original Pilot episod that featured another actress in the role of "She who must be obeyed". I love the fact that the writer for this series had always had McKern in mind while writting the Rumpole stories.
Not sure if Themes or Acorn own the series, maybe a BBC affiliate?

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Another series in great need for a restoration and BD Boxset is the classic BBC series Rumpole of the Bailey with the might Leo McKern ~ I have the dvd set and even the original Pilot episod that featured another actress in the role of "She who must be obeyed". I love the fact that the writer for this series had always had McKern in mind while writting the Rumpole stories.
Not sure if Themes or Acorn own the series, maybe a BBC affiliate?
Rumpole is a great series, Todd, but it's extremely unlikely to receive a Blu-Ray release. As mentioned by Malcolm above, unless it's Doctor Who-related, the BBC haven't been bothering much to put any of their classic series out on Blu-Ray. Also, Rumpole was mostly shot on videotape, so wouldn't particularly benefit by being restored for Blu-Ray, unlike other series that were shot on 16mm (like the Joan Hickson Miss Marple telefilms, which received Blu-Ray releases here in Region A, but not in the U.K.)

I'm afraid we'll just have to be satisfied with the many DVD releases Rumpole has received over the years. I believe it was A & E which released sets in the U.S. (and Fremantle in the U.K.)

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Rumpole is a great series, Todd, but it's extremely unlikely to receive a Blu-Ray release. As mentioned by Malcolm above, unless it's Doctor Who-related, the BBC haven't been bothering much to put any of their classic series out on Blu-Ray. Also, Rumpole was mostly shot on videotape, so wouldn't particularly benefit by being restored for Blu-Ray, unlike other series that were shot on 16mm (like the Joan Hickson Miss Marple telefilms, which received Blu-Ray releases here in Region A, but not in the U.K.)

I'm afraid we'll just have to be satisfied with the many DVD releases Rumpole has received over the years. I believe it was A & E which released sets in the U.S. (and Fremantle in the U.K.)
In a perfect world, right? A ouple of other favorite series that most likely won't see the Blu ray Bump are Lovejoy and Monarch of the Glenn.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
A tragedy Rumpole won't receive a restoration and release on blu-ray. The series embodies much great humanity, and it is McKern's finest hour.
I think it was wonderful that the author John Mortimer had Mckern on mind, while writing the character of Rumpole. And the intros to the episodes are wonderful!!

Last edited:

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
This series was made by Thames Television for the ITV network in the UK. Network, who released this on DVD, would have been the best chance of getting this on Blu-ray, but they have now gone out of business.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Wasn't this series videotaped like the usual BBC/Thames shows of the era? Would anything be gained by a high def release? I love a lot of those shows, like Blakes 7 and so on, but I can't imagine HD would add much...

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Wasn't this series videotaped like the usual BBC/Thames shows of the era? Would anything be gained by a high def release? I love a lot of those shows, like Blakes 7 and so on, but I can't imagine HD would add much...

According to IMDb -- salt to taste -- it was shot and printed on 35mm.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Looking at the YouTube vids I've seen, I question that. Also, it wasn't the BBC way.

"Like many British shows of the period, Rumpole of the Bailey was shot with a combination of tape and film – 16mm for exteriors with studio interiors shot on video. The show looks about as well as one might expect. The tape sequences look as good as 1975 technology would allow, while the filmed material, ultimately transferred to tape as well for the show's master, looks grainy and dirty."

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
As Stuart said above, it wasn't a BBC show. Which doesn't mean it wasn't shot with a combo of 16mm and video., but...

Anyway, that's why I said "salt to taste".
I stand corrected about the BBC but yeah the online videos show to be the same kinda filming style.

Which again makes me wonder what you'd get with a Hi-Def release.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Depends on how well it gets mastered. There are several instances of British shows that have been up-rezzed to Blu-ray that look better than the earlier DVDs. The classic Doctor Who, for example. Among other ones I have on Blu-ray that look better than previous DVDs are:

Play for Today 1.jpg
Play for Today 2.jpg
Play for Today 3.jpg
Ghost Stories.jpg
Schalken the Painter.jpg
quatermass and the pit.jpg
Triffids.jpg
Smiley1.jpg
Smiley2.jpg
Edge of Darkness.jpg
neverwhere.jpg
gormenghast.jpg
Culldoden-WarGame.jpg

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
That blu of Quartermass and the Pit shown above is miles ahead of any other presentation, and in my opinion as good or better than the film. Andre Morrell is a superb Bernard Quartermass.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I stand corrected about the BBC but yeah the online videos show to be the same kinda filming style.

Which again makes me wonder what you'd get with a Hi-Def release.
The dubious quality of the vidoes online are subpar compaired to the dvd episodes. And with todays tech, whos to say what could be done to upgrade these, to a blu ray box set?

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The dubious quality of the vidoes online are subpar compaired to the dvd episodes. And with todays tech, whos to say what could be done to upgrade these, to a blu ray box set?
I wasn't judging the series video quality based on YouTube, just confirming that it was mostly taped. The thing is, video tape is video tape. There is a maximum amount of resolution to be mined and it's a lot less than film. The Twilight Zone's video taped episodes still look terrible, there's diminishing returns after awhile. To be fair, I haven't seen the recent Classic Doctor Who blu rays, for all I know they worked wonders on them.

Look, I'm not wishing against you getting an HD release. I'm sure it would be something of an upgrade from the old A&E transfers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks