What's new

Rumoured R2 Superbit Gladiator? (1 Viewer)

James Reader

Screenwriter
See this news

Personally I can't see how this rumour could be true, being as Gladiator is a Universal and Dreamworks co-production (I'm not sure who had distrbution rights in the UK - but it doesn't matter as both are distributed by Universal Home Entertainment UK).

Of course I don't know the full extent of Columbia's licensing agreement with Universal and if Gladiator's license has expired or not (but Universal UK are slowly re-releasing titles from their back catalogue themselves... titles that were distributed by Sony/Columbia in the UK until their licence expired).

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I can confirm it - Columbia UK are releasing the following Superbit titles on May 12th:

Gladiator
The Fast and the Furious
Shakespeare in Love
Das Boot

James Reader

Screenwriter
Interesting.

I was under the impression the planned Vin Diesel boxset (Pitch Black, The Fast and the Furious and xXx) was canceled as Columbia no longer had the rights to Pitch Black and The Fast and the Furious (two Universal releases).

:confused:

I don't know the specifics of Columbia UK's pre-August 2002 licencing but this does seem strange.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I suspect that what might be happening is that Columbia might be licensing the Superbit "formula" out in return for distribution rights, but - hey! - what do I know... as far as Columbia UK are concerned websites are geeky, and aren't visited by "real" people who buy DVDs... :D

Lee_eel

Second Unit
Gladiator wins the award for most pointless release of the year! The special edition already has a superb transfer (the best in my vast collection) and a DTS soundtrack.

Well. the Fifthg element original also had a very good transfer and look at the superbit.. It blows everything else i've seen out of the water.. Maybe the Superbit will be DTS ES Discrete instead of DTS ES matrix like the current R2 is.

I'm all giddy with my hard earned cash for this one.

Kenneth

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks