What's new

RPTV Maintenance (1 Viewer)

Scott_Pq

Auditioning
Hi,

I have just purchased a Sony 43 inch RPTV. What sort of maintenance should I expect over the first few years? Does it need to be calibrated or adjusted on a regular basis, or justvas needed?

Thanks.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
After the first 100 hours of viewing, I would strongly suggest as ISF calibration. Use the "search" function and you can learn more about ISF.

If you choose not to go the ISF route, I STRONGLY recommend picking up Avia to correctly calibrate your settings (color, brightness, etc.). Using Avia, you can also check your convergence. With the TV's service manual (which you usually have to order) directions are given how to do or tweak convergence. I bring this up because many of the newer RPTVs I've seen lately have needed convergence tweaking.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Some dust is fine and won't affect the picture.

I really don't agree with "regular" cleaning of lense and mirrors. There are very fine coatings on these which deteriorate with each time it is cleaned - this is especially true with the mirror! The best thing to do is prevent them from getting dirty - such as not smoking in the room, keep up your dusting in the room, etc.

I've had my RPTV for two years and there is little dust inside. I just checked recently.

Cory_G

Auditioning
Regular maintence should also include checking convergence, especially if the set has been moved much. Also, check the color's every few months to make sure nothing has drifted. Haven't roommates for me disable the front panel buttons, and using a second remote that didn't have a menu option. Thank goodness I'm moving.

Also, I on my RPTV, I cleaned the lenses once since there was a finger print on the green gun right out of the factory. Not happy about that, but what can you expect from a mass produced item. Haven't touched them again, but I do make sure there isn't lots of dust around the TV to get into the box.

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
There are very fine coatings on these which deteriorate with each time it is cleaned - this is especially true with the mirror!
Well...in the 3+ years I've owned my set, cleaning it has never done harm. If anything, letting the dust build up over time will cause alot more harm than this trivial concern with "coatings" on the mirror and lenses.

If you clean the mirror and lenses properly, you don't have to worry about affecting the coatings.

I use a camera cleaing kit for the lenses and a light solution of windex/alchohol mixed with water for the mirror.

But the idea of not cleaning a RPTV's mirror and guns because of some issue with harming the coatings on the mirror and lenses is ridiculous.

I think by the time "cleaning" begins harming the coatings, it'll be time for a new set anyway, if this is even a real concern.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Jerry,

I have vast experience in optics with lenses and mirrors (namely telescopes). Mirrors and lenses are coated - in a certain manner - for optimum reflectivity. If this coat is dimished, less reflectivity occurs. While dust build up at some point will start to dimish how much light is reflected, it has to be fairly significant. The human eye cannot detect the light decrease from a small (whatever small is) amount of dust on a mirror or lense. The decrease will not be detected. There have actually been scientific tests done on this in the astronomy field with eyepieces and mirrors. I have seen this MANY times myself. And trust me, looking at a galaxy or faint nebula for detail on a black sky requires a lot more out of a mirror or lense than being used for a RPTV. And even in these light demanding situations, THIN OR LIGHT DUST WILL NOT AFFECT YOUR ABILITY TO SEE OR NOT SEE DETAIL.

I have seen many mirrors and lenses ability deteriorate faster by people who clean them TOO OFTEN.

With that being said, I am not saying a mirror lense should never be cleaned. But, "regular" cleanings will do more damage in the long run than cleaning only when really needed. Again, a light amount of dust will not affect anything. The term "light" is a bit subjective here, but just use common sense and you will be okay.

Finally, I'd like to know why you are getting so much dust. Where is your TV? My TV is in my living room. The back of my TV was opened up because of a convergence recently. Was there dust on the lenses and mirrors? Yes. Was there a lot? NO. Was there enough worth cleaning off? NO. Environment conditions obviously affect dust mites, but I don't see this as a problem.

So, don't tell me I should see for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks