What's new

CRT RPTV Maintenance (spiderwebs and dust) (1 Viewer)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I have a 53" Panasonic. I'm not too scared of opening the sucker up if I have to. I even fixed the dreaded 'evil pop' myself.

But anyway, today I noticed a large black spider on the inside of the screen. Since I've had the TV for over 2 years now I figured it was time to open it up and try to find him.

Once I popped open the back, I used a vacuum extension hose to suck him off the screen. I also ended up sucking away any stray spiderwebs and dust.

I have two questions for the experts:

1) I noticed some dust buildup on the glass top of the red/green/blue lenses. Would I dare try to wipe this off? Should I use a 'windex wipe' or something similar, a dry lint-free cloth, or just leave it alone.

2) The electronics shield in the Panasonic, the particle board that easily slides in and out and separates the electronics from the top portion of the TV is light particle board colored. I've heard that you should paint this flat black to get a better picture. Is this true? If so, any special paint you would recommend?

Thanks!

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
DO NOT use Windex or any pneumonia base cleaner on the lense. You need to be extremely careful when you clean the lense. They scratch very easy. Don't use dry paper towels.

If you have to use paper towels, make sure they are damp and use them once at every swipe.

Please do a search on this form, or AVS at more instructions on how to properly clean the lense.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I agree -- don't use windex (I so hope you meant to type ammonia cleaners), paper towels, tissues, etc.

Don't clean with anything wet if the CRT are in the least warm. These lens tend to be very soft. Optical grade lens wipes like used for eyeglasses or camera lens are supposed to OK. I just air clean mine with the vaccum nearby to catch the flying dust every 6-12 months.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
OK, no ammonia. I knew that was bad for the screen but didn't know that was a no-no on the gun lenses.

I have some micro fiber cloth. Is that OK? Should I use it dry or put a little camera lens cleaner on it?

I'll check that out. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread