What's new

RPTV "tuneup"? (1 Viewer)

tom milton

Agent
i've got a pioneer elite pro96 RPTV. should any kind of periodic maintenance or service be done by a repair tech? i'm able to check and set the convergence myself.

thanks!

SimiA

Second Unit
About twice a year, you should clean the lenses, the back side of the screen, and the mirror with a damp soft cloth. (cotton or flannel) and dry with the same type of cloth.
You can do this yourself, and unless you're having any other problems, you don't need a service tech.
Vb

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings ...

Might also want to fine tune the mechanical focus and the electronic focus along the way ...

Regards

tom milton

Agent
michael my owner's manual has no info on fine tuning the focus. is that usually done by a service person?

thanks

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If you can reach the mechanical focus control without touching high voltage areas inside the TV, you can adjust that, too, yourself. But be sure you have a good test pattern with tiny dots near the screen borders as well as in the center. Also be aware that, if the focus control is truly mechanical such as a ring around the picture tube neck, once you move it you might find it difficult to put it back the way it was if you made things worse.

Playing the 200 TVL test pattern in AVIA, if you get the full horizontal resolution of 540 lines (per distance equal to the picture height @ 4:3) you shouldn't need to adjust the focus control.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Allan:

what you are describing is not mechanical focus, it is beam focus. "mechanical focus" is confusing, but mechanical setup/focus almost always is used to refer to physical aim of the guns and optical focus. Beam focus/astig is done with astig magnets, electronic focus adjustments and zone astig, depending on which are available on the set. IMO it is clearer to use the terms optical focus/mechanical setup versus beam focus/beam setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks