What's new

Roots-not taken from original elements? (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Warner claims on the box that the new dvd of Roots was taken "from the original elements." I have received a copy of a 1978 book co-authored by producer David Wolper which states that Roots aired on eight nights, some nights one hour and others two. On the dvd, some of those two hours are not presented in the way they were in 1977 (with the last hour presented on the following dvd.) This affects end credits and the such. Now if Warner could only get a hold of the re-broadcast prints from 1978, then there is nothing to be done about it. But I for one would like to know if these are indeed from the originals as stated on the box. Roots is such a historical program, I would like to see one day the broadcast as close to the original (without commercials) as possible.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I assume "original elements" meant that they were working from the original film elements. Things that were done editorially in the video realm may not necessarily be reflected in the cut original film negatives. Of course, this is speculation on my part.

Regards,

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Considering the the vhs version contains the same ending points in the film makes me wonder. This is just confusing as far as how they aired the thing.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's correct, several of the episodes were only 1 hour when they aired, so they were combined 2 into 1 part. It's all there. I believe this was how it was originally concieved to go together.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
In the opening credits of the hour episodes, names for cast members in the second half are shown. That means that no opening credits were shown for the second half. The end credits are the same...after the second half, names for those people in the entire two hours is shown. I think you are right Jeff.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
We had a thread about this when it came out. With the scene changes 'made for TV', they just removed the opening credits and added on a half hour from the next show to the previous 1 hour episode. The movie is 'all' there. They just rearranged the opening and ending credits and titles.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks