What's new

Rolling Stones to be remastered in Hybrid SACD!!! (1 Viewer)

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Two channel would be great. The only problem (if past history with Alan Klein is any indicator), is that we'll probably be getting ONE channel (mono)!
Also, 2 albums are STILL missing---The Rolling Stones (UK 1st album with I Need You Baby instead of Not Fade Away & the long version of Tell Me (You're Coming Back); and Rolling Stones No. 2 (UK 2nd album), the BEST (and longest) of their early, cover version albums, which has NEVER been issued on CD in it's proper form ANYWHERE in the world!

Addendum---I'm wrong! No. 2 came out in Japan!

Michael_T

Second Unit
they wanted to preserve the original sound of the recordings as best possible including not entirely cleaning up the noise, according to Bob Ludwig. He stated they are looking at all reissues. In this environment, 2 channel is the only way to go, since the recording was always meant to 2 channel. I think a surround sound version would be too gimicky and artificial for hard core Stones fans. This is likely to be a problem for all older recordings meant for 2 channel.
Lee,
I understand what you are saying, but as I am sure you know, you can produce a MCH SACD which would also have to have a SACD stereo mix included on the disc. In addition the disc could still be the hybrids they are going to be giving us. In that way everyone wins (not that receiving the Stones on SACD in Stereo is already a big win) - MCH afficiandos have their MCH (even if it is gimmicky), stereo purist and hard core fans have their SACD stereo mix (the same one we will be getting anyway), and those who don't have an SACD player get a re-mastered redbook CD layer.

So you can still do right by 2-channel and go MCH. But that begs the question regarding resources to re-mix all 22 albums (thus delaying the appearance of these discs) - and can the cost then still be held to $18.98 list as expected?

Either way - bring on the Stones on SACD.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
At the Home Entertainment Show, Sony had a (2-channel) demo which included "Miss Amanda Jones" from 'Between the Buttons.' It was excellent.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
So you can still do right by 2-channel and go MCH. But that begs the question regarding resources to re-mix all 22 albums (thus delaying the appearance of these discs) - and can the cost then still be held to $18.98 list as expected?
You are correct sir...I was just basing my reply on what I have read in the press releases about recreating "original sound" which may indicate some unwillingness to travel down the MCH road.
I don't think cost is that big a deal. Production costs of redbook discs is often less than $1, $2 tops with artwork. The Super Audio mastering may be expensive, though, but with Ludwig at the helm, we Stones fans are in fantastic shape - he is one of the best. Right up there with Steve Hoffman. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
It will be interesting to see how the Stones hybrid SACDs will be marketed. ABCKO could market them as "Remastered CDs!!! (with sacd technology included)" and have them replace the original CDs in all stores. Alternatively, ABCKO could market them as the majority of SACDs have been marketed. That is, the Stones SACDs could be available online and through Tower Records stores and specialty stores, while the large chain retailers continue to sell the original CDs. This one will be interesting. The Stones will be the first blockbuster artist to have an extensive catalog released on hybrid SACDs. It would wonderful to see ABCKO replace the original CDs with the hybrid SACDs, thereby getting SACDs into the hands of the public at large. That would be great for SACD. However, the $20 price tag per single-disc release leads me to believe that these discs will not replace the standard CDs. I hope I am wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks