What's new

Question About Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks SACD (1 Viewer)

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
I went into Tower Records today to purchase the Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks SACD. I checked in the SACD section but saw no Rolling Stones SACD. I then went to the CD section & saw all the Rolling Stones remastered CDs. I thought I remembered that the CD I was looking for was a hybrid CD so I looked at the CD to see if it also had SACD on it but it didn't. I asked a clerk to help me & he said unless it said SACD on it then it wouldn't have a SACD layer.

I then called Fry's & they only had it in the CD section with no SACD written on it anywhere.

Can someone explain to me if there are 2 releases of this? 1 on CD & 1 on SACD or does the regular CD have a SACD layer on it? If so why doesn't it say anything about SACD on the front or back of the CD? I want to make sure that I buy the correct one.

Also does anyone have this SACD? How does it sound? Is it only stereo or does it have a multichannel mix also?

Thanks for your help.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Stan, the Stones SACD's do NOT say SACD anywhere on the outside of the packaging. The ones you saw in the CD section ARE the SACD's...they are hybrids, marketed as regular CD's, but when you get inside the packaging, they mention that to get the most out of these disks, you should play them in an SACD compatable player.

The remasters you saw by ABKCO are the ones that you are looking for. SACD hybrids, marketed as regular CD's to increase market penetration.

Oh yeah, they sound incredible too. SACD layers are phenomenal.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Stan, Evan hit the nail on the head. As long as Hot Rocks has the Remastered sticker on the front and is in a cardboard digipak, it's the SACD/CD hybrid. I also agree with Evan in that the sound is incredible.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Just look for the digipak then ABKCO 2002 on the back, also the Remastered.
And you are correct, most stores will have these with
the regular CD inventory, (priced as a normal CD):emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks