What's new

Rolling Stones Concert???? (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Bought tickets many moons ago and the concert is next week, The more I see those "Glimmer Twins" on Money magazine etc; the more I really dont want to go.
I saw them 20 years ago and thought it was a good show. I spent a good portion of yesterday recording their albums onto cds since I normally dont have my turntable hooked up. Their early stuff is great but it turns silly when someone who has knighthood and a AARP discount card sings it.
Keith always talks about Muddy Waters and Johnny Lee Hooker singing into their 60s, 70s. But they didnt prance around on stage with bright yellow Lycra shorts. The Blues take on character when someone who is old enough to be your grandfather sings about all the crap they have overcome. I remember Johnny Lee sitting in his chair pounding the stage with his foot and putting chills down my spin with "Boom Boom". But Mick, even with his titles and money doesnt have the dignity or presence of Hooker. Rock and Roll is youth screaming in your face but it doesnt translate when the singer doesnt choke on his his own Vomit in his 20/30s.
The who is my favorite band but it still makes me cringe when he sings "hope I die before I get old" (Pete you made it dammit, you are old! Tell Roger he can stop singing the damn song)

Anyways anyone else feel like me and go to the show and still have a good time? I have never dreaded seeing a band before, but I feel like the image of them now is going to ruin the visions I had earlier.
Sorry about the length, it's just been eating away with me.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
You're gonna kick yourself if you don't go, so go.

I've read some good reviews, some bad. I'm sure they'll still put on a heckuva show.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
saw them earlier this fall, and it was a helluva show. not the greatest i've ever seen, but far from the worst.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Hey, if you don't wanna go, I'll gladly take the tickets.:D I'm still regretting the fact that my dad and I didn't go when they hit DC this October.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Grant, thank you for exhibiting such courage.

I'm still suffering from a bout of the 'flu, and I have a lot of conjestion. My LOL moment was accompanied by a coughing spell.

Remember the Bridges Over Babylon accounting junket? In the middle of the show, the "boys" strut across a "bridge" into the center of the auditorium. Suddenly, the Stones are just a band with instruments and amps. No props. No silly prancing across the stage, clinging to the 1970s and '80s.

Just a band playing its music.

That's what it should be about. Besides, don't these gentlemen know arena rock is kind of, well, fossil stuff, man?

Your Muddy Waters counter-argument is excellent.

Though I think it plausible for one to play rock & roll well into his or her golden years, one must accompany it with dignity. One can't keep acting like a twentysomething forever.

It's the music, man. Not the archaic arena-rock showmanship.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
This tour must be called THE GERITOL TOUR.;) I saw them in 1970 and 1976 and I thought they were getting old then. I wonder if Keith stille gets his blood changed?

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I should of know something was up when their authorized biography was called "The Rolling Stones - The first 40 years"
Thanks everyone for the reviews and such.
Jack You are right about the music and the whole arena rock thing; Except how else can you get 50,000 to pay big $$$$ to see a band(You could get 50,000 in the whiskey a go go but they would need to be in urns).
I remember when Paul Weller broke up the Jam at the height of their (English) Success -winning every catagory possible for 4 or 5 years straight in the reader polls and the only band that ever Came close to popularity of the Beatles. "I dont want to turn into the fookin Rollin Stones" was call he said.

I was upset at the time, I am so happy they never had a "The base player married his son's wife daughter Tour"

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
I remember when Paul Weller broke up the Jam at the height of their (English) Success -winning every catagory possible for 4 or 5 years straight in the reader polls and the only band that ever Came close to popularity of the Beatles. "I dont want to turn into the fookin Rollin Stones" was all he said.
Good call!! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Well I went yesterday.......and I gotta admit the Onion Rings there were outstanding.
Oh the band, ummmmmmm they seemed to be on autopilot; no emotion nothing. Brown Sugar could have been an advertisement for a sugar company. They played a song named "Don't Stop"; I think it was about their pacemakers. The T shirt prices were cutting edge, of course.
They should be able to afford a few new wives with this tour

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Well I went yesterday.......and I gotta admit the Onion Rings there were outstanding.
Oh the band, ummmmmmm they seemed to be on autopilot; no emotion nothing. Brown Sugar could have been an advertisement for a sugar company. They played a song named "Don't Stop"; I think it was about their pacemakers. The T shirt prices were cutting edge, of course.
What an insightful review!:rolleyes:The whole "the Stones are old and tired" thing gets pretty old and tired after a while. I don't understand why you even bothered to go to the show - you clearly made up your mind before you went, and nothing in your review shows that you actually were willing to reconsider your ideas when you saw the show itself.
Anybody who's seen one of their club shows this tour can say without a doubt that the Stones have a LOT of life left in them...

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It's the arena nonsense, Colin. No one is denying the band (that is, what's left of it) plays well. But the big-stage pyrotechnics and 1970s-style antics are old and undignified—and made all the sillier when guys in their late fifties and early sixties are acting like rock&roll sex symbols.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Colin
I dont deny what you are saying. My wife wanted to go in the 1st place and it took me 2 weeks of saying "I really didnt want to go" for her to understand.
By that time it was to late.
It was a very strange concert; I am in my early 40s and I felt young.
They started with Brown Sugar and it was like it was stripped of meaning. For a song that sings the praises of interracial sex to be turned into a football chant (I was waiting for the wave but it never came) with people old enough to be my parents chanting the refrain...it's strange in a disturbing way.
I kept thinking during "Sympathy for the devil" if you replaced 'Devil' with 'CEO', it made perfect sense. What turned Altamont into a nightmare was washed and cleansed and stamped with a "Childproof Safe!" tag. I wish I could divorce the meaning from the music, it's clear most people did. I guess when your biggest hero is John Lennon, and after reading philosphy from Satre to Calvin the stuff that really moved me was by Dylan, Townsend, Lennon and even Jagger and Richards.
Before they came on, I was annoying my wife by telling her who did all the Blues they were playing. I found Slim Harpo, Elmore James, Willie Dixon & the rest, mostly through the Early Stones and I am eternally greatful.I just dont understand for a Band to idolize these people ....how did they turn into the "Band with a stage that shoots Fireballs"?
OK I gotta admit the fireballs were pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks