What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Cameron Crowe’s semi-autobiographical film Almost Famous arrives on 4K UHD Blu-ray in a beautiful transfer supervised by the director, plus some newly created special features.

Almost Famous (2000)

Released: 22 Sep 2000
Rated: R
Runtime: 122 min

Director: Cameron Crowe
Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Drama

Cast: Billy Crudup, Patrick Fugit, Kate Hudson
Writer(s): Cameron Crowe

Plot: A high-school boy is given the chance to write a story for Rolling Stone Magazine about an up-and-coming rock band as he accompanies them on their concert tour.

IMDB rating: 7.9
MetaScore: 90

Disc Information

Studio: Paramount
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio:...

Continue reading...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the review, Todd!

So, we only get a digital code for the Theatrical version of the film in this set? That's rather disappointing, as I prefer the Bootleg Cut of the film. Maybe I'll just wait for a sale of that 4K version on iTunes and call it a day.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Still waiting for my steelbook from Amazon, should ship later this month.
Thanks for the review Todd looking forward to watching the 4K UHD bootleg cut.

Mark VH

Second Unit
Nice review! I got the Paramount Presents blu-ray of this a couple of weeks back and just watched the theatrical version for the first time in years. I typically err on the side of shorter-is-better for most movies in a way that makes me wary of director's cuts, but I have to say I have a really hard time understanding how anyone prefers the theatrical cut of this one. I've only seen the bootleg cut a couple of times but on this viewing it really struck me how it feels like there's so much missing from the theatrical version, especially in the last 30 minutes or so. To each their own, for sure, but I don't see myself revisiting the theatrical version again any time soon.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Thanks for the review, Todd!

So, we only get a digital code for the Theatrical version of the film in this set? That's rather disappointing, as I prefer the Bootleg Cut of the film. Maybe I'll just wait for a sale of that 4K version on iTunes and call it a day.
It seems that way, at least if you use the Apple TV app on anything other than an Apple TV device. On an Apple TV device, you do get the Bootleg Cut in an older HD transfer as a special feature, in addition to all of the new and old bonus material on the disc.

On Roku, of course, the Apple TV app only gives you access to the theatrical cut and nothing more. Redeeming on Vudu gets you the theatrical cut (in 4K) with no bonus material.

Purchasing the Bootleg Cut on Apple TV gets you the same extras (minus the theatrical cut), but again, only on an Apple TV device. That will set you back $14.99 currently.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
It seems that way, at least if you use the Apple TV app on anything other than an Apple TV device. On an Apple TV device, you do get the Bootleg Cut in an older HD transfer as a special feature, in addition to all of the new and old bonus material on the disc.

On Roku, of course, the Apple TV app only gives you access to the theatrical cut and nothing more. Redeeming on Vudu gets you the theatrical cut (in 4K) with no bonus material.

Purchasing the Bootleg Cut on Apple TV gets you the same extras (minus the theatrical cut), but again, only on an Apple TV device. That will set you back $14.99 currently.

Wonder if we can convince Apple/iTunes to upgrade the included bootleg cut to 4K as well since they do actually have it... unlike some other cases like Arrow's Donnie Darko...

I would probably always play the disc myself in my HT (or just the theatrical version on a lesser setup, if streamed)...

_Man_

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Picked up my SteelBook from Ebay! Out of stock everywhere else..... Can't wait to watch!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Nice review. Huge upgrade from the BD. I watched the theatrical version for the first time in many years, but will definitely be going with the Bootleg next time.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
What's your question?
She gives a good performance according to your review or simply adequate? Whatever happened to her- one bomb after the next? I’ve never seen her in anything except bombs where she gives one terrible performance after the other. She what’s held me back from ever watching this.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
She gives a good performance according to your review or simply adequate? Whatever happened to her- one bomb after the next? I’ve never seen her in anything except bombs where she gives one terrible performance after the other. She what’s held me back from ever watching this.

I'd say she was fine. Could probably have been a number of other teenage-ish actresses w/ her kind of fresh-faced look and flirty-ness. Her part is actually fairly small anyway (unless you count all the moments when she's basically little more than window-dressing) even though it's an important part... but one that doesn't require that much real acting IMHO.

Even though I liked her just fine in this and felt moved in the one scene before the climax, I never felt compelled to see any of her other movies... which mostly just seem like very silly/mediocre rom-coms... and it's not like I don't enjoy (and own) plenty of rom-coms...

Unless you really can't stand her personae (I guess), I wouldn't let her presence stop you from seeing this. It's probably nothing like any of her other movies...

_Man_

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Watched this this weekend, and it was an absolute delight. The movie was even better than I remembered and the 4K image is the best it ever looked.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks