What's new

ROD SERLING'S NIGHT GALLERY!!!!! (1 Viewer)

JeffT.

Screenwriter
Yeah, I'd like to know just what happened to ROD SERLING'S NIGHT GALLERY (NBC 1970-73) too!

It surely must have sold.

Generally the tv episodes were in (reasonably) good shape but it was the made-for-television film NIGHT GALLERY (1969) that was in a (somewhat) lesser quality condition...but no worse than some of the subpar stuff that the other major DVD distributors have been attempting to palm off on the public (ie. THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN tv series).

Jeff T.

JeffT.

Screenwriter
Would someone delete this fool message post as I meant it to be part of another discussion thread.

Why can't we have the facility to delete our own message posts?!

Thank you!

Jeff T.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
From one Jeff to another, it's OK that you started a new topic on Night Gallery. The old thread was probably getting too cluttered anyway. You might want to hold off on another Invaders topic though. ;)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have S1/S2 on dvd for Night Gallery. I hope that we can see the S3 in 2011. I have watched many episode including the episode starring William Windom and Bill Bixby. I also remember watching this show in the late 1970s and early 1980s in syndication.

I missed shows like this and i am just glad dvds allow me to watch these shows again!!

Grant100

Grip
Real Name
Grant Wallace
I'm waiting on season 3 as well. Hopefully it will get a 'proper' release but even if it only appears by MOD I'll have my cash waiting.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I would take what i can get with S3. I have watch S1-S2 and it was very good. There is something about Rod Serling introduction of the painting to each story. There are some really fascinating plots and the supporting actors/actresses are very good, like Roddy McDowell, William Windom, Bill Bixby, etc.

They sure don't make shows like Night Gallery, Twighlight Zone, Thriller, etc anymore. It is shame that younger generation will not get to experience shows like this on TV.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I remember seeing Night Gallery in syndication and loved it! I have been dying to buy both Season 1 and 2, but have held off due to the absence of any announcement regarding a Season 3 release. I've been burned by Universal before (I bought Amazing Stories Season 1, but, alas, Season 2 never materialized and the show only ran for 2 seasons!). If they decide to release Season 3 (and hopefully this happens in 2011), I will buy all three season in a heartbeat.

Has there been any lobbying efforts by Night Gallery fans to push Universal for a Season 3 release (and, for that matter, by Amazing Stories fans to push Universal for a Season 2 release)? Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea fans appear to have been successful in their campaign to get Fox to release Season 4 Volume 2 (the final 13 episodes of the show) which is coming out on January 11th.

Darby

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Well I bit the bullet and purchased seasons 1 and 2 a few months back and loved seeing this show again!
Now if 2004 saw season 1 released and 2008 brought us season 2, could 2012 be the magic number for season 3 finally seeing the light of day?
Here's to hoping....
Darby

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Season 3 is vastly inferior to its predecessors (and considering that Galley was pretty inconsistent in general, that's saying a lot) so I'm not surprised there's no rush to release it.

That said, if they get around to it, including the intros for "Season 4" and the trio of lost season 2 comedy shorts is a must.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I think he's referring to the intros Serling had to do for the "Sixth Sense" episodes that were re-edited and put into the Night Gallery syndication package.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
I just can't find a lot of love for Night Gallery. Lord knows I've tried: watched it as a kid, and bought the videotaped set as well as the first 2 seasons on DVD. I keep hoping that it's better, but many of the episodes are too problematic. But I will also buy season 3 if they get off their butts and put it out on DVD because Rod Serling was a genius.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Agree with you on that Richard, I think the episodes in season 1 that are good are very good indeed, but in season 2 there's simply way too many stories set 100 years ago and it becomes a bit too samey, I missed the variety of the first season. I'd still buy season 3 if it came out, but Universal sadly doesn't seem to care much anymore about their classic shows, at least not enough to bring them out on DVD. If it's about sales numbers for the studios, I still think they should take what they can get, they're not making anything on their shows by keeping them locked up.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
My favorite episode, "They're Tearing Down Tim Reilly's Bar" gets more meaningful each and every year to me.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Jack P /t/248904/rod-serlings-night-gallery#post_3871273
I think he's referring to the intros Serling had to do for the "Sixth Sense" episodes that were re-edited and put into the Night Gallery syndication package.
Bingo! Notice I didn't specify episodes since the intros are the only things unique to the Night Gallery format.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have S1 and S2 on dvd and love the show. I have some favorite episodes, like the following:
1. Last Rites for a Dead Druid
2. Deliveries in the Rear
3. Eyes
4. They're tearing down Tim Reilly's Bar
5. House... with a ghost
6. The Dark Boy
7. The Cemetery
8. The Escape Route
9. Lone Survivor
I remember Night Gallery airing after midnight along with twilight zone. I would pick up S3 if it was ever released on dvd. I am confused to why Universal does not go on-demand route to move their shows to dvd or at least license it too Shout Factory.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
Universal has always been a cheap company--cheap movies, cheap TV shows, and they couldn't give a hoot what DVD fans want. At this point if they were to remaster all of Night Gallery for blu-ray and put out one set, I'd rather buy that than the season 3 set on DVD.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
They should just license the show out to Image at this point. It would make a decent companion piece to their TZ Blu-rays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks