What's new

ROD SERLING'S NIGHT GALLERY!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah nothing is missing from Satisfaction Guaranteed. Its a misprint on the packaging.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Its great to hear about this "lost" episode. I'm still hoping for news that the NG Sixth Sense intros are being included as well since its still part of the show's history.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Even more details on the bonus materials:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Night-Gallery-Season-3/16412
Darby

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Bummer, Amazon.ca tells me that they can't get this -- has anyone else gotten the same bad news?
If its a Canadian amazon issue, i suppose that's one thing; i'd hate to hear that this release is on ice...
Hello from Amazon.ca.
We're sorry to report we won't be able to obtain the following item from your order:
"Night Gallery: Season Three"
Although we'd expected to be able to send this item to you, we've since found it's not available from any of our sources at this time. We realize this is disappointing news to receive, and we apologize for any inconvenience we've caused you.
We must apologize also for the length of time it's taken us to reach this conclusion. Until recently, we'd still hoped to obtain this item for you.
We've cancelled this item from your order.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
shoeshineboy said:
Bummer, Amazon.ca tells me that they can't get this -- has anyone else gotten the same bad news?
If its a Canadian amazon issue, i suppose that's one thing; i'd hate to hear that this release is on ice...
Hello from Amazon.ca.
We're sorry to report we won't be able to obtain the following item from your order:
"Night Gallery: Season Three"
Although we'd expected to be able to send this item to you, we've since found it's not available from any of our sources at this time. We realize this is disappointing news to receive, and we apologize for any inconvenience we've caused you.
We must apologize also for the length of time it's taken us to reach this conclusion. Until recently, we'd still hoped to obtain this item for you.
We've cancelled this item from your order.
Hi Shoeshineboy,
I received the same notification and complain to amazon.com about the issue as it does not make sense. The dvd set was not set for release until April 10, 2012 and such should have shown up on their site as not being released. I have notice some significant inconsistency with amazon.ca site as compare to amazon.com like out of stock when in fact the title has not been released. In the case of night gallery there were two other vendors that show it available in canada and one vendor is based in BC. I would suggest that you complain to amazon.com as it is waste of time dealing with amazon.ca as all their responses come from india.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Although the USA and Canada are both region-1 for DVD they're still separate entities for things like TV and film rights. It's possible there's some issue that is stopping the release in Canada but not in the US.
Another particularly Canadian problem I can think of the Quebec - maybe there's a holdup on the bilingual covers!
In the meantime just order it from Amazon.com
Are there Customs issues between the US and Canada, ie might you have to pay import charges? Certainly this is a problem when ordering stuff from the USA in Europe (or anywhere outside of the EU in fact)
Exactly the same thing seems to have happened to the McCallum Invisible Man set, which was initially for Canada but not the US, then both, now it's US only. At least on the Amazons.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Nebiroth said:
Although the USA and Canada are both region-1 for DVD they're still separate entities for things like TV and film rights. It's possible there's some issue that is stopping the release in Canada but not in the US.
Another particularly Canadian problem I can think of the Quebec - maybe there's a holdup on the bilingual covers!
In the meantime just order it from Amazon.com
Are there Customs issues between the US and Canada, ie might you have to pay import charges? Certainly this is a problem when ordering stuff from the USA in Europe (or anywhere outside of the EU in fact)
Exactly the same thing seems to have happened to the McCallum Invisible Man set, which was initially for Canada but not the US, then both, now it's US only. At least on the Amazons.
Hi Richard,
There are some serious inconsistencies with the amazon.ca site as there appears to be an issue with synchronization. I talked to support on weekend about the issue and it has been escalated. The problem is night gallery S3 and Vegas S3-V1 have different posting, i.e. one says out of stock (Vegas S3-V1) when it can not be out of stock as it has not been released and Night Gallery showed other sellers with it being available, but it is not available as the released date is April 10, 2012.
The other problem is customer support responses from amazon.ca are coming from India and are scripted. The india support team does very little checking on the site and/or providing options to purchasers on amazon.ca. I received notification that Night Gallery was being canceled without any prior notice. In the past i would receive one notification that they were having trouble and they would keep checking. I have often responded to support saying the release date has not passed, so you should not be canceling the orders until after the release date.
I think the issues has to do with the process on how the releases are being updated on the sites. I would suspect that tables and data are not flowing properly and that is reason for the response. The second issue is that India support is following certain procedures without truly understanding what is presented on the site. I mention this to customer support yesterday there needs to be a better process to managed the released dates. I explain to the person that when social media sites tell us about the releases then the new releases showed up about 1-3 days on amazon.com and then about 2-3 weeks later on amazon.ca. So, why is it taking so long for amazon.ca to update their site? I have posed that question to amazon.com and it is being investigated! I also suggested there needs to be a better managed of suppliers that support releases in Canada as i like to pre-order to lock the price in as it saves me money. If you order from amazon.com then there is higher shipping costs which negate and price savings. I only use amazon.com when i have situations like night gallery s3 come up, but it is usually after i talked to them about my price being lost.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Thanks Paul!
It does seem ludicrous that amazon.ca is saying the dvd is unavailable before its official release, but lists 2 small retailers that could supply it -- including one from canada!?! Previous purchases from amazon.com were actually shipped from canada but i was told a couple of years ago that amazon was changing that procedure and any purchase would require duty and extra shipping costs. I'd prefer to spend my relatively rare entertainment funds on the dvds and not unnecessary taxes.
I will file an inquiry to amazon about this.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
shoeshineboy said:
Thanks Paul!
It does seem ludicrous that amazon.ca is saying the dvd is unavailable before its official release, but lists 2 small retailers that could supply it -- including one from canada!?! Previous purchases from amazon.com were actually shipped from canada but i was told a couple of years ago that amazon was changing that procedure and any purchase would require duty and extra shipping costs. I'd prefer to spend my relatively rare entertainment funds on the dvds and not unnecessary taxes.
I will file an inquiry to amazon about this.
I have complaint register and applaud you doing the same as it something is not right with their synchronization. If you want see a problem then see this link
http://www.amazon.ca/Vegas-The-Third-Season-Volume/dp/B0076YFJFO/ref=sr_1_5?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1333402853&sr=1-5
This shows temporarily out of stock, but how can it be out of stock when the release is not due until May 2012. This shows you there are mistakes on their websites with synchronization.
Regards,
Paul Young

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have watch all of S3 episodes for Night Gallery and you can see the story lines had a huge dropped off from previous seasons. S3 has some decent episodes, but not as many as the previous season. I also like the special features, including the episodes not previously released. I still can not get enough of Rod Sirling and i am glad i have all of night gallery and twilight zone on dvd as nothing beats these classic anthology shows.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
One of these days I'd like to compare the (non-edited) syndicated versions of stories from Seasons 1&2 in the half-hour format with the Network airing versions. No one has really documented the changes/additions/editing on those, just that some stories were changed for syndication for the half hour format.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I can give some details on one story from S1 "Lone Survivor", about a cursed Titanic crewman doomed to be picked up by other liners that will get sunk. Because this clocked at 20 minutes it was actually expanded slightly for syndication, including a scene from the cutting-room floor where the Lusitania captain and doctor speculate on what he is. I also remember a stock shot from the Fox movie "Titanic" of the Titanic going down used to open the segment whereas in the network version the Titanic connection isn't made until the lifeboat is found.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Jack P said:
I can give some details on one story from S1 "Lone Survivor", about a cursed Titanic crewman doomed to be picked up by other liners that will get sunk. Because this clocked at 20 minutes it was actually expanded slightly for syndication, including a scene from the cutting-room floor where the Lusitania captain and doctor speculate on what he is. I also remember a stock shot from the Fox movie "Titanic" of the Titanic going down used to open the segment whereas in the network version the Titanic connection isn't made until the lifeboat is found.
Hi Jack,
Thanks for posting! I just watch the titanic again tonight and really like the episodes, especially the scenes about the lifeboat. The lifeboat for titanic and then lusitania inclusion is amazing!! Rod Serling really likes to play with your subconscious part of your mind!
I like to hear what other people think of th S3 for Night Gallery!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by younger1968 /t/248904/rod-serlings-night-gallery/30#post_3918830
Hi Jack,
Thanks for posting! I just watch the titanic again tonight and really like the episodes, especially the scenes about the lifeboat. The lifeboat for titanic and then lusitania inclusion is amazing!! Rod Serling really likes to play with your subconscious part of your mind!
I like to hear what other people think of th S3 for Night Gallery!

Mine just arrived today and I haven't had a chance to dive into it. Hoping to have some time tomorrow to check out the episodes again, some of which I haven't seen since their original broadcasts all those decades ago.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
I have really given season 3 the benefit of the doubt, but I just can't get past how uniformly awful it is. Aside from the poor transfers (the weak and murky black in the opening of every episode is terrible), the drab 1970s Universal TV shooting, the flat lighting, the scripts are just plain weak--even those by Serling. "Finnegan's Flight" and "The Girl with the Hungry Eyes," while two of the better episodes, are only mediocre at best. A shame this is the way Serling's TV career ended. It just goes to show you what moronic boneheads TV executives are. Give them a man who could create gold and they turn him into a toilet bowl cleaner.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
MattH. said:
 Mine just arrived today and I haven't had a chance to dive into it. Hoping to have some time tomorrow to check out the episodes again, some of which I haven't seen since their original broadcasts all those decades ago.
Hi Richard,
When you cut the show down and take creativity away from the writers then you get what you paid for in terms quality. Night Gallery was an attempt to reap in the benefits from Twilight Zone by bringing back Mr Serling. However, the network decided in S3 to bastardized the show through cuts in production/script writing. The network must have felt people would buy into the series as many people have allegiance to Mr Serling, but that was not the case. I studios probably did not realize what they had with Serling along with Hitchcock or Karloff when it came to anthology/horror type of tv series. This plots and the narration earlier on with Thriller, Twilight Zone and/or other anthology series was well done. However, studios with their infinite wisdom tried to do something different with the shows and such created problems for themselves.
There are only a few people that can pull off anthology/mysteries type of shows and they are the following: 1. Leonard Nimoy 2. Boris Karloff 3. Rod Serling 4. Alfred Hitchcock 5. Ray Bradbury. It is sad with today's hollywood that all originality is gone and we are left with scripted reality shows based on people's sad life. I would much rather watch suspenseful TV of yesteryear then what is on tv today. When is last time there was good mini-series or documentary (jacques cousteau) or anthology series? Well, it has been awhile. I am just glad that TV has pushed more shows to dvd as this give me ample opportunity to watch these shows over again in the privacy of my own home!

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Wow. This looks like crap. Muddy, faded, obviously no attempt to re-master. I compare this to Season 4 of The Virginian (1965) which I am going though now and it looks like a blu-ray compared to this. The final indigation for Serling. Sigh. At least we have the Image blu-ray sets of The Twilight Zone. And, frankly, nothing in this set is worth preserving as well, anyway. Classic stories which they tried to update or make 'hip' with clothes, language and style of the time (70s). It didn't work. What were they thinking? Or smoking?

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I am still on Disc 1 of the final season but to me they look the same as the previous season releases in video quality. Not necessisarily bad or good, but they are Universal TV releases. Most of their shows from this period look about the same IMO.

But if you are not a fan of the show how did you make it to season 3? I like the show but mainly for the time period. Everyone agrees it is no T.Z. however it does have a decent following. the show did have very good ratings for all three seasons.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I loved the show when it was originally on, but it just doesn't hold up like TZ. But, yes, it's cool to see some of the regular players from that era, even if they do look a bit ridiculous trying to look 70s hip (as any of us would).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks