What's new

ROD SERLING'S NIGHT GALLERY!!!!! (1 Viewer)

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I watched every episode. It looked good to me. I kept hearing bad things about season 3, but I found it very good and entertaining.

Claude North

Second Unit
I'm hoping someone can explain something to me about portions of one of the episodes on the season 3 set. In "The Doll of Death," some of the scenes, in particular the scene between Susan Strasberg and Alejandro Rey on his boat, look as if they have been sped up. I don't know if that's the best way to describe the visual quality, but the scenes have an odd, jerky quality. (I've also noticed this quality when watching the film The Night of the Iguana, especially during the scene in which Sue Lyon is dancing with the beach boys.) Is this what time compression looks like, or is it a by-product of digital transfer?

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I can see what you mean, but I'm not sure of what causes this particular effect. I don't think it's a digital artifact, since another example where I first noticed it happened in the '70s, long before digital anything.

I noticed it on a M*A*S*H episode, the first one in Season Four, where Radar and Hawkeye are riding in a jeep to try to meet up with Trapper John who's just left camp to go home. As the jeep speeds through the supposed Korean countryside, the film exhibits an odd jerky quality. This example of NIGHT GALLERY looked similar to me.

Harry

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Coincidentally, I just watched that episode last week, and noticed that, but thought it was something intentional for weird effect (but then the show was not that innovative). Maybe it was just... voodoo.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I finished watching the Season 3 set last night and, while the season was overall very disappointing and I felt absolutely no presence of Rod Serling's touch, there was redemption in the "Lost Tales" reconstruction of the episode "Little Girl Lost" as a bonus on the set. This was easily the best written, acted and directed episode of the entire season - and it was one that had been gutted 6 minutes to fit with another piece in the 26-minute air slot. But also timely was a beautiful, nuanced performance by William Windom as the scientist with the apocalyptic fission formula that the army is trying to coax out of him by going along with the delusion that his dead 10 year-old girl is still alive. Wow. This is pretty powerful stuff for 1971 when the Vietnam war was still tearing the country apart about the role of the military. A military industrial complex exploiting a scientists' daughter's death and his mental breakdown over it just to get his formula for mass death. It doesn't get more cynical (but believable) than that.
Then I listen to the commentary and find out that Jack Laird (of all the lamest segments throughout Night Gallery) didn't get along with the director of this episode and never let him direct another episode. It figures. No wonder the season stunk so bad; the one innovative director they had (hey, let's forget that flood flat lighting and try some stuff) tried something different and was let go. Again, Rod Serling must have abdicated any control or care of this series to Laird, because this Season was a struggle to even get through except for this one 'little gem lost.'

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Hollywoodaholic said:
I finished watching the Season 4 set last night and, while the season was overall very disappointing and I felt absolutely no presence of Rod Serling's touch, there was redemption in the "Lost Tales" reconstruction of the episode "Little Girl Lost" as a bonus on the set. This was easily the best written, acted and directed episode of the entire season - and it was one that had been gutted 6 minutes to fit with another piece in the 26-minute air slot. But also timely was a beautiful, nuanced performance by William Windom as the scientist with the apocalyptic fission formula that the army is trying to coax out of him by going along with the delusion that his dead 10 year-old girl is still alive. Wow. This is pretty powerful stuff for 1971 when the Vietnam war was still tearing the country apart about the role of the military. A military industrial complex exploiting a scientists' daughter's death and his mental breakdown over it just to get his formula for mass death. It doesn't get more cynical (but believable) than that.
Then I listen to the commentary and find out that Jack Laird (of all the lamest segments throughout Night Gallery) didn't get along with the director of this episode and never let him direct another episode. It figures. No wonder the season stunk so bad; the one innovative director they had (hey, let's forget that flood flat lighting and try some stuff) tried something different and was let go. Again, Rod Serling must have abdicated any control or care of this series to Laird, because this Season was a struggle to even get through except for this one 'little gem lost.'
Hi Wayne, There was only three seasons of Night Gallery.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Thanks, Paul. Corrected. Brain burp since I've been going through Season 4 of Route 66. Season 4 of Night Gallery was forever lost... in The Twilight Zone.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Hollywoodaholic said:
Thanks, Paul. Corrected. Brain burp since I've been going through Season 4 of Route 66. Season 4 of Night Gallery was forever lost... in The Twilight Zone.
Hi Wayne,
No problem!!
I like Night Gallery not as much as Twilight Zone, but it is on par with Thriller (Boris Karloff) or Ghost Story, etc. I still need to pick up tales from the darkside as i only have S1.
Outerlimits both the old and new is another one i would rank up there as great shows!
I have not seen anything since the re-imaged outerlimits came out in the late 1990s. The alcatraz show by fox had potential, but it was cancelled

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hollywoodaholic said:
Not necessarily.
There is the run of The Sixth Sense episodes that were added to NG's run for syndication that could conceivably be released on DVD as a 4th season, or if released as The Sixth Sense, could have the NG openings as extras.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'm a fan of Fringe on FOX, which will be premiering its last season this fall, but I haven't seen a good sci-fi or horror anthology series in a vampire's age. My favorites were The Outer Limits (1963), The Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Thriller, Journey into the Unknown (1 season), Night Gallery, in that order. Amazing Stories, and Fear Itself didn't quite make the cut. I never saw the first run Tales From the Darkside. Those must of have been the party years.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Hollywoodaholic said:
I'm a fan of Fringe on FOX, which will be premiering its last season this fall, but I haven't seen a good sci-fi or horror anthology series in a vampire's age. My favorites were The Outer Limits (1963), The Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Thriller, Journey into the Unknown (1 season), Night Gallery, in that order. Amazing Stories, and Fear Itself didn't quite make the cut. I never saw the first run Tales From the Darkside. Those must of have been the party years.
You have good list of shows. My all-time favorite tv shows of anthology genre would be the following
1. Twilight Zone
2. Outerlimits (re-make)
3. Night Gallery
4. Outerlimits (original)
5. Thriller (Boris Karloff)
6.Tales from the darkside
7. tales from the crypt

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have S1-S3 of Night Gallery on dvd and watch it from time to time, especially as we get closer to Halloween. I notice something that was interesting on S3 with the previews. The previews talk about Rockford files promoting S1-S5 and S6 to be released shortly. S6 for Rockford files came out in 2009 so why would previews not be adjusted to reflect this change considering that Night Gallery S3 came out in 2012.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Fabulous Films is releasing both the complete series and the individual season sets on DVD on January 11, 2016 in Region 2:

Complete Series: http://www.fabulousfilms.com/products/278

Season One: http://www.fabulousfilms.com/products/279

Season Two: http://www.fabulousfilms.com/products/280

Season Three: http://www.fabulousfilms.com/products/281

With The Alfred Hitchcock Hour receiving the same type of releases on the same day and with Alfred Hitchcock Presents having been previously given the same type of releases back on October 26, 2015, Fabulous Films is truly on a roll!

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I hope that eventually someone will release the series The Sixth Sense and include as a bonus Rod Serling's introductions to the episodes that were included in the NG syndication package.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Dave Lawrence said:
I hope that eventually someone will release the series The Sixth Sense and include as a bonus Rod Serling's introductions to the episodes that were included in the NG syndication package.
Dave, I would love to see that happen too!

Darby

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Darby67 said:
Fabulous Films is releasing both the complete series and the individual season sets on DVD on January 11, 2016 in Region 2:

Complete Series: http://www.fabulousfilms.com/products/278

Season One: http://www.fabulousfilms.com/products/279

Season Two: http://www.fabulousfilms.com/products/280

Season Three: http://www.fabulousfilms.com/products/281

With The Alfred Hitchcock Hour receiving the same type of releases on the same day and with Alfred Hitchcock Presents having been previously given the same type of releases back on October 26, 2015, Fabulous Films is truly on a roll!
Now if we could just get Region A blu-ray releases of Night Gallery done...

Probably would have to have the whole series re-scanned & remastered in HD, a la Twilight Zone for a blu release.

Went and checked out the Fabulous Films site. One more reason now to go for a region-free Blu-ray player.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
For the region-free buyer, The Sixth Sense is already available on DVD in the French speaking market (r2) with English audio included.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
younger1968 said:
I have S1-S3 of Night Gallery on dvd and watch it from time to time, especially as we get closer to Halloween. I notice something that was interesting on S3 with the previews. The previews talk about Rockford files promoting S1-S5 and S6 to be released shortly. S6 for Rockford files came out in 2009 so why would previews not be adjusted to reflect this change considering that Night Gallery S3 came out in 2012.

Sounds like laziness on the part of Universal.

If I had to guess, it sounds like season 3 of Night Gallery might have had the masters made back in 2008, but wasn't used at the time. (Perhaps the season 2 and 3 masters were made at the same time, where the season 2 dvd set was released in late 2008).

It costs $$$ to make a new master, which Universal might have been unwilling to pay for in 2012.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
I have NG recorded to dvd from a US tv station and in much better quality than the commercial discs. Can't recall offhand the channel but they included a retrospective hosted by Leonard Nimoy IIRC which doesn't seem to be included on any releases.

The NG and Hitch sets will need to drop to around £1 per disc before I get those

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm a huge fan of Twilight Zone but I never saw Night Gallery. I didn't even realize it was on DVD until recently. I got Seasons 1 and 2 for a good price and I'm looking forward to finally checking out this show. It'll probably seen weird to see Rod Serling in color!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks