What's new

Robocop Remake (1 Viewer)

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
Chud.com has mentioned that a possible Robocop remake may be in the works. Paul Verhoeven supposedly wants nothing to do with it. The original robocop movie was pretty violent. I have a strange feeling that if this new movie does get made, the violence may be toned down a bit.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
IMO, the more interesting question about the content of a remake is how satirical it would be.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Less than 20 years and already s remake? Atleast 30 I can understand... When is "Lord of the Rings" getting remade?

Mike.P

Second Unit
Why remake Robocop, the original is pretty awesome and although its a bit dated, I absolutely love it. Not my favorite Verhoeven, but it's probably #2 behind Starship Troopers.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

The possibility of a self-parodying Robocop film is why I have no desire to have a remake get made.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Why don't they just continue the storyline instead of retelling it?

To answer my own question, they lack any material to do that and instead choose to simply retread old ground.

And satire and self-parody are two different things. In fact, the first Robocop was indeed satirical.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I don't understand why hollywood has to remake films when they are creativly firing on all cylinders.

"Snakes on a Plane" anyone?;)

Kain_C

Screenwriter

Well, the guy was obviously asking just how if at all satirical a remake would be. This material has the potential to be relegated to typical apolitical action genre trash, like the Robocop sequels. Robocop isn't a satirical concept, it's the execution that is.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As soon as I am the lone winner in a multi-hundred million dollar MegaMillions jackpot, and then am able to triple or quadruple that by investing in high yield stocks that boom rather than bust. :D

[and for the record I plan on being more true to the books, so mine is a re-telling or a new adaptation from the original source material, and not technically a remake of Jackson's films] ;)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
They'll never get the violence and satire right, if they even use satire at all. It was a wonderful product reflecting the 80's. I wouldn't be surprised if they just make a PG-13 straight up action film. Ugh.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

It would be cool...for about 10 minutes. The agile and stealthy predator would easily win over a slow and clunky Robocop.

Much as I like robocop, a jungle hunter he ain't.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I remember a comic that tied RoboCop in with Terminator. That could be cool.

I don't think a remake is needed for this. Another film would (could?) be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks