What's new

Robocop Remake (1 Viewer)

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
What a bad idea...

They would have been better off trying to create some sort of sequel that ignores the events of the third movie and takes place sometime after the second.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
This about as exciting as my anticpation of my next period. :frowning:

Someone please stop the madness.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll gladly eat my words when the movie has a rating from the MPAA because until then, there's too many variables that can still change. That being said, Lion's Gate seems to have success with R rated movies (the Saw movies, Rambo) so maybe they'll do it.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

After 20 years of being hounded by people who want to talk about nothing BUT RoboCop whenever he's around, making him proud but also sick to death of it, I think not...

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Here's hoping the next RoboCop film will bypass the events of 3 completely. It sounds like this is a Prime Directives sorta thing on the silver screen. If that makes any sense. Hopefully they'll keep the humanity which is still with Murph too. Maybe there'll be an advanced/later in the line model of the ED-209? I'd like to see Murph be a bit rusty since as the article stated, the program was shut down for awhile and I take it city funding maintained him to the best of their capabilities.
Omni Consumer Products might still be around in the sequel. Here's to hoping the new film will keep the political satire and TV commercials! This might even be the longest in running time RoboCop film to date. Glad this is a sequel and not a remake. Or perhaps it'll touch upon huge gaps since 2 since this is a sequel? Can't wait to see if the filmmakers are keeping Murph's HUD display and if he is getting a massive overhaul, just keep the suit design but of course "suitable" to the character. I'd love for Peter Weller to return.
Hopefully this time, if there's gonna be a game tie-in, it won't suck like that one which was released for the last platform systems. Wonder if Ford Taurus will still be the police cars in this sequel.
The quote you posted Nicholas actually has me revved up for a RoboCop sequel! I was completely ho-hum about this being a remake but the following puts the situation in an entirely new spin on things. Here's hoping they get as many people back from the original and sequel in terms of cast (possibly) and crew (hopefully) as possible!

EDIT: Can the title of this thread be changed to how RoboCop is actually typed out? It should be camelcaps as such "RoboCop" and not Robocop. Thank you for your time.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I hope to hell it never turns out to be anything like "Prime Directives", which I consider to be the worst piece of shit ever associated with RoboCop and one of the worst telefilm/miniseries/whatever the hell it was I've ever seen.

After RoboCop 2, 3, the Canadian-made TV series, and both animated series (one from the 80's and one from a few years back), Prime Directives was pure dogshit in comparison....at least to me.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I meant like Prime Directives in the sense it took place over a decade from the last film and not the quality. Trust me, even I was cringing at what the mini-series did. Page Fletcher didn't even watch the films to be the same RoboCop. I thought Prime Directives was certainly better compared to RoboCop 3 but that's another story (both are shit but PD is slightly better smelling shit).
As I've already stated, hopefully this film will be a Superman Returns for Superman I & II for what will be the the sequel equivilant (sp?) for RoboCop 1 & 2. A new third film but still in the same series. Hopefully not straying too far from the character and if they want to set it 20 years after the original, that's fine with me. Of course the first and second film take place in the "near-future" and this one should be as such.
The Titus video game was pure shite too and here's hoping Bethesda or whoever will make a great RoboCop game worthy of Paul Verhoven and Irvin Kershner. Hell, even I want a Special Edition DVD release for RoboCop 2 with all the deleted scenes and everything else to become a reality. I still won't touch RoboCop 3 of course.:crazy:
Since it is 20 years in chronological film time after 1, perhaps Peter Weller could return? With suit technology today he could have a far better time in the suit compared to when he did 20+ years ago. It's only speculation of course.;)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

The man is 60 years old, is a history teacher and hosts some historical documentary programs. He's moved on, even though many people would prefer he didn't. Not everyone can be Harrison Ford, playing the same iconic role 20 years later and still love it, but then Ford's been a huge public icon in many roles beyond his Indiana Jones.

My favorite Weller character and film is one I doubt anyone's heard of, "Of Unknown Origin". It's a Canadian movie from 1983, and features Weller on the DVD's commentary track (haven't listened to it yet).

In it, he plays a stock broker-type with a nice house, nice family, and goes batshit insane trying to eliminate an unwelcome houseguest....an abnormally large rat.

Other than RoboCop, Weller's best known role would be Buckaroo Bonsai, and Odyssey 5, Enterprise, 24, or anything else he's done will change the fact that he's only recognized for RoboCop. He would never do it, and there's no blaming him.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

Also add the fact, and this is no knock to Peter Weller, but I doubt the studio would even ask him to come back as the lead. He's not anywhere near a name like Sylvester Stallone, Harrison Ford or Bruce Willis to come back to a role 20 years later.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I never seen the animated stuff, but all of the live action stuff after #1 was pure shite. The Canadian TV show left me shaking my head and thinking WTF? It was bad...right up there with "Due South".

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
The TV series was silly, but I always felt that RoboCop himself was the shows best feature. I felt that they understood him very well, and made sure to be as accurate as they could with the costume and makeup effects - even showing how the black chin guard is removed along with the helmet!

The prosthetic effects for his head were as detailed as the movies, something Prime Directives didn't bother with (the PD RoboCop's head looks like half of a silver-painted cut basketball with no details whatsoever)

They made something out of Murphy's past life and had him interact with his wife and son, then they revealed his identity to his father. Say what you will about the rest of the show's elements (the goofy comic book villains, the Commander Cash cartoon, and so on) but they got RoboCop himself just right.

Prime Directives also recycled some generic RoboCop action clips from this TV series.

Plus I found it funny seeing all the TTC streetcars on the downtown Toronto streets RoboCop drove down. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks