What's new

International Roadshow Sweet Charity from Indicator (2 Viewers)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
1603066104552.png

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
No one else has figured out what this is most likely about? I am fairly convinced I'm right about the issues but I'll let someone else go there :)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
No one else has figured out what this is most likely about? I am fairly convinced I'm right about the issues but I'll let someone else go there :)
Could Indicator have been planning to use what Universal considered to be inferior elements for the Entr’acte and Exit Music, such as taking them off the DVD?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Could Indicator have been planning to use what Universal considered to be inferior elements for the Entr’acte and Exit Music, such as taking them off the DVD?

Inferior sound? They should be no picture for them.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce

Don't think so. Here's what I think and I know some will look askance, but it's actually the only scenario that makes sense. Universal did a new transfer of this - I don't think they did that on their own, I think it was at least partially paid for by the company that licensed for US. I think Universal did not supply the entr'acte and exit music and the company didn't know that it was missing until people pointed it out. My thought is that when Indicator licensed this new transfer for the UK they asked for the entr'acte and exit music, making it the complete roadshow version. I think the company that licensed it here saw that and knew they would lose sales and complained to Universal and since the company had probably paid or partially paid for the transfer, Universal agreed not to let Indicator do anything other than what was done in the US. I could, of course, be completely wrong and will be more than happy to admit that - but again, it's the only thing that makes sense.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Don't think so. Here's what I think and I know some will look askance, but it's actually the only scenario that makes sense. Universal did a new transfer of this - I don't think they did that on their own, I think it was at least partially paid for by the company that licensed for US. I think Universal did not supply the entr'acte and exit music and the company didn't know that it was missing until people pointed it out. My thought is that when Indicator licensed this new transfer for the UK they asked for the entr'acte and exit music, making it the complete roadshow version. I think the company that licensed it here saw that and knew they would lose sales and complained to Universal and since the company had probably paid or partially paid for the transfer, Universal agreed not to let Indicator do anything other than what was done in the US. I could, of course, be completely wrong and will be more than happy to admit that - but again, it's the only thing that makes sense.
If losing money is a concern, then they should fix the offending issues pronto and fast. And if they don’t want to rectify the publicly known omissions of said Entr’acte and Exit Music, then why should Indicator and the consumers in search of a bettered product also pay?

Last edited:

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
From Indicator:

Sadly, our previously announced SWEET CHARITY specs have had to undergo a change. Owing to legal restrictions, we are unable to present the film in its complete ‘Roadshow’ version, with entr’acte and exit music. Instead, we will be presenting the film in its theatrical version, with options to view with either the overture or the alternative ending. As a result of this setback, both SWEET CHARITY and THE FU MANCHU CYCLE will now be released on 26 October.

The decision is with Universal, and while we tried everything that we could in order to include the full version – including delaying the release in the hope that the added time would allow for a positive outcome – we do have to abide by that decision.

Despite the setback, we are still incredibly happy with the release. The new additions, the book, etc. are all really something.

I’d blame Kino as it does seem that they stepped in to block this. It would’ve made more sense to make sure their version was correct or make a running correction for future pressings or do an exchange or something, but oh well. I put back the missing entra’cte and exit music from the laserdisc myself.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I received a shipping notice today. Despite being disappointed by the missing music, I am looking forward to the new extras.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
From Indicator:

Sadly, our previously announced SWEET CHARITY specs have had to undergo a change. Owing to legal restrictions, we are unable to present the film in its complete ‘Roadshow’ version, with entr’acte and exit music. Instead, we will be presenting the film in its theatrical version, with options to view with either the overture or the alternative ending. As a result of this setback, both SWEET CHARITY and THE FU MANCHU CYCLE will now be released on 26 October.

The decision is with Universal, and while we tried everything that we could in order to include the full version – including delaying the release in the hope that the added time would allow for a positive outcome – we do have to abide by that decision.

Despite the setback, we are still incredibly happy with the release. The new additions, the book, etc. are all really something.

I’d blame Kino as it does seem that they stepped in to block this. It would’ve made more sense to make sure their version was correct or make a running correction for future pressings or do an exchange or something, but oh well. I put back the missing entra’cte and exit music from the laserdisc myself.

As I said above, that's the only scenario that makes sense. And if it weren't true I think someone would have shown up and stated that. And everyone should be plenty annoyed about it.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
What skin is it off of Kino? Whatever bulk of the monies Kino would’ve made off of their falsely “Roadshow” advertised BD of “Sweet Charity” has long ago been received through the very same consumers who were now looking to Indicator.

Indicator has clearly shown more of a passion to fulfill the promise of a Roadshow presentation than had Kino. Indicator was publicly forthright, transparent and totally in communication with us all throughout this developing disappointment; whereas Kino addressed none of our concerns during their initial blunder and failed to provide a disc replacement program.

I am certainly not going to cry “boycott” to Kino, but I shall never again place a pre-order for their products; as I shall first wait and place my trust within the written reviews.

Meanwhile, I plan to purchase another BD of “Sweet Charity” from Indicator, simply on principal and to support them for their efforts.

Last edited:

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I wonder if Kino had a lot of returns when people discovered the omissions?

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I wonder if Kino had a lot of returns when people discovered the omissions?
And there’s the rub; as the film, itself, looked and sounded as wonderful as one could ever hope. After all these years of waiting, the will power to send it back would have posed another double-edged sword. Either way, such sacrifices should never had been of our burdens nor disappointment.

Kino? Universal? Both? Someone, somewhere threw us a fast one by not living up to their marketing promise of supplying us with the actual “Roadshow”; or at least by not fixing their mistakes of omissions. WAC and others have always stepped up to the plate in cases such as these; even in the 4K/UHD case of “2001: A Space Odyssey”. This is what distinguishes the majors from the minors.

Last edited:

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
I received the Indicator release today and briefly compared it to the KL release. The audio issue has been fixed; the Indicator sound level is significantly higher compared to the sound level on the KL release. Otherwise, the only difference I noticed is with the intermission. Neither version includes entracte music; the KL release features an intermission card (without music) that was dropped from the Indicator release. The Indicator release has more video/audio supplements (and includes most of the supplements from the KL version), plus an impressive 78 page booklet and a two-sided foldout poster. The Indicator release is Region B locked.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I just watched the indicator Sweet charity. Wow the sound is incredible! The PQ is the best that I have seen. Better than the French Blu-ray or the US Blu-ray.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I'll echo Ken's praise for this - every time the music kicks in on the 5.1 mix, the hairs on my neck stand up. It's really thrilling and dynamic. I went and picked out Cabaret and All the Jazz from the shelf and checked them out. The music on those sound completely flat in comparison.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Significant gains and leaps on each and every edition of any title is the direction we want to go. My copy is on the way.

Congratulations to Indicator for becoming the Top-Dog BD distributor of “Sweet Charity”.
:cheers:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks