What's new

International Roadshow Sweet Charity from Indicator (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I'll get it because Kino mastered the sound so low it's a joke.

Yeah it's a joke. Matt Hough gave it a 4.5 out of 5 and Robert Harris a 5 - "Audio, presumably from the original mag tracks is crisp, strong, and proscenium filling. It's all there. "

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I just received titles from Amazon UK last week. Cisco Pike, 4K Elephant Man, and The Family Way.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Give it a little time. They probably will allow Global Priority (about £10) before release date

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Yeah it's a joke. Matt Hough gave it a 4.5 out of 5 and Robert Harris a 5 - "Audio, presumably from the original mag tracks is crisp, strong, and proscenium filling. It's all there. "

I can't help what they said. I'm not the only one who said this. It's mastered about 10db lower than any other movie I own on Blu-ray. The French Blu-ray has it right and I'm sure the Indicator will have it right. I had to crank up my amp hugely and one should never ever have to do that. I mentioned it to someone on Facebook yesterday because THEY thought it was just them. Nope. Of course, I'm guessing you don't have the disc and therefore cannot offer an actual opinion.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The Amazon UK shipping ban to the US maybe due to its being a preorder. Once it is released it will most likely ship to the US. I have seen this with other titles. Just a guess but perhaps Amazon doesn't want to take orders on unreleased media because they don't know what the shipping situation to will be when the item is released, including cost, time it will take to get to US etc.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I don’t think I could sit straight thru this again- it’s godawful except for 2 numbers. A dance hall girl set in the swinging ‘60s? Did that ever even exist? Wasn’t it all just strippers and street walkers by then in Times Square? Which makes me want to see The Stripper again as I saw it much too young on TV but remembered it being pretty gritty.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I can't help what they said. I'm not the only one who said this. It's mastered about 10db lower than any other movie I own on Blu-ray. The French Blu-ray has it right and I'm sure the Indicator will have it right. I had to crank up my amp hugely and one should never ever have to do that. I mentioned it to someone on Facebook yesterday because THEY thought it was just them. Nope. Of course, I'm guessing you don't have the disc and therefore cannot offer an actual opinion.

I have it and it sounds fantastic. Set the receiver to 40 and compared it to the 1962 State Fair and they both sound fine. Turned State Fair down to 30 and it did sound a lot lower than Sweet Charity. Maybe your ears are a lot more sensitive than my old ones.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I have it and it sounds fantastic. Set the receiver to 40 and compared it to the 1962 State Fair and they both sound fine. Turned State Fair down to 30 and it did sound a lot lower than Sweet Charity. Maybe your ears are a lot more sensitive than my old ones.

My ears are pretty old also, but I have the same issue as haineshisway with the Kino disc. It's not a big deal to pump up the volume for it, but it's strange how much lower the volume level is, compared to every other disc I own. Also strange how some people don't seem to notice it. Maybe he and I received our copies from a test batch or something.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce

I'm sure my ears are older than yours, but I make my living with mine. As Rich Murphy says below, he has the same issue as I do. Most people won't notice because they just automatically turn up the volume if something is too low. I'm looking forward to the Indicator for many reasons, but the sound is the biggest. As I said, the French Blu-ray is perfect, sound-wise.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
... Maybe he and I received our copies from a test batch or something.

When did you and Bruce get your discs? I received mine last week. Maybe the early released copies had a sound problem and they corrected it with a later batch.

Part of a review of the sound from another site:

While there's the arguably overly "wet" sound to a lot of the music, something that is immediately apparent once dialogue kicks in with a "dryer" (i.e., less reverb) sound, both tracks offer sterling fidelity and rather robust sonics. I notice we have one Member Review up for this release here already where there is a complaint about amplitude of the dialogue, but all I can say is I experienced no such falloff when I watched the film

Last edited:

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
When did you and Bruce get your discs? I received mine last week. Maybe the early released copies had a sound problem and they corrected it with a later batch.

Obviously I can't speak for Bruce, but I pre-ordered this (and for that matter, all my Kino discs) as soon as they go on sale. I don't wait for Kino's spectacular sales because I want to support the label, even if I wind up paying a higher price.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I don’t think I could sit straight thru this again- it’s godawful except for 2 numbers. A dance hall girl set in the swinging ‘60s? Did that ever even exist? Wasn’t it all just strippers and street walkers by then in Times Square? Which makes me want to see The Stripper again as I saw it much too young on TV but remembered it being pretty gritty.

Has "The Stripper" with Joanne Woodward, based on the play "A Loss of Innocence" by William Inge ever been issued on DVD? I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher

I think you are right about NYC in the 1960s, however, that is part of what I like about Sweet Charity. It is kind of a stylized, mythical NYC and I think the film does a great job of creating its own world and I can lose myself in it.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Region code locking on Indicator titles tends to depend on if there's a North American licencee; even then, it sometimes depends on the licencee and status of licence. The Mad Magician [which I own], for example, is region free, likely because Twilight Time sold out its entire run. I note that among recent releases, Georgy Girl is region free, as are The Mind of Mr. Soames, The Wrong Box, Maniac [1963], The Gorgon and several others, which all happen to be Columbia/Sony titles, like the other Indicator release I own, Night of the Demon.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Kino running time is listed as 151 minutes. Indicator listed as 157 minutes. Only difference missing intermission and/or exit music on Kino version?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks