What's new

Deletion of Indicator/Powerhouse Fox titles (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I just got an e-mail from Powerhouse/Indicator that effective 6/30/23 Dragonwyck, Little Murders, The Snake Pit, St. Valentine's Day Massacre and The Third Secret will no longer be available for purchase. The recently announced standard edition of Effect Of Gamma Rays On Man In The Moon Marigolds has been canceled. It appears that their license agreement with Fox has run out and Disney isn't renewing it. Anyone interested in the first five titles can order them prior to 6/30/23, after that, they can't legally sell them.

No doubt some of you with a Disneyfied view of life will suggest perhaps Disney will either relicense them to another company or release themselves ..... dream on :lol:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I just got an e-mail from Powerhouse/Indicator that effective 6/30/23 Dragonwyck, Little Murders, The Snake Pit, St. Valentine's Day Massacre and The Third Secret will no longer be available for purchase. The recently announced standard edition of Effect Of Gamma Rays On Man In The Moon Marigolds has been canceled. It appears that their license agreement with Fox has run out and Disney isn't renewing it. Anyone interested in the first five titles can order them prior to 6/30/23, after that, they can't legally sell them.

No doubt some of you with a Disneyfied view of life will suggest perhaps Disney will either relicense them to another company or release themselves ..... dream on :lol:
Thanks TT, I saw that too.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Where has it been established that Disney has handed anything to Mill Creek?

Back in the day, they did farm things out to labels like Anchor Bay and Echo Bridge, but not in ages. Well, there was Kino for a while, but that was only for Touchstone/Hollywood and Selznick titles.

The above Indicator titles were licensed directly from Fox, prior to Disney's takeover.

Last edited:

willyTass

Supporting Actor
these titles were licensed direct from Fox? I didn’t know that , I thought they culled them from the Vatican archives

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230130005094/en/Alliance-Entertainment’s-Mill-Creek-Entertainment-Announces-New-Home-Entertainment-Licensing-Agreement-with-The-Walt-Disney-Company

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mill Creek has been an outlet for Disney catalog titles for a while now.

MC is known for high compression/low bitrates, especially in any sets to reduce the number of discs. Most films look kinda OK, but they're not reference discs by any stretch.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
For Yanks who may not be familiar with British terminology, "Deletion" means Going Out of Print ;)

Crazy how Indicator will have to destroy remaining stock after the 30th. Well, at least they've warned people. Anybody wants these, they have a couple of weeks to grab them. After that, you snooze you lose. I still expect people to come out of the woodwork 6 months from now yelling at a cloud because they had no idea. You joined a message forum - this ain't for Part-timers :)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
That deal with Disney was only in regards to reissues of existing titles, in existing formats. All of their reissues will duplicate the previous Disney releases. No new remasters; no new encodings; no format upgrades.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
these titles were licensed direct from Fox? I didn’t know that , I thought they culled them from the Vatican archives

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230130005094/en/Alliance-Entertainment’s-Mill-Creek-Entertainment-Announces-New-Home-Entertainment-Licensing-Agreement-with-The-Walt-Disney-Company

the exorcist horror GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Got the mail, too - good reminder how much Disney cares for their Fox catalog.

I guess the best we can do now is to get Mill Creek to raise their standards with regard to compression, disc production and commitment to certain minimum bitrates ;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Got the mail, too - good reminder how much Disney cares for their Fox catalog.

I guess the best we can do now is to get Mill Creek to raise their standards with regard to compression, disc production and commitment to certain minimum bitrates ;)
Can't hurt, but as Jerry noted above, the recent deal with MC involves only repressing the same titles they'd released in the past. Unless there's some new deal coming up, none of those Indicator titles or any other Fox/Disney titles, will be released by MC.

I think the initial reference to MC in this context/thread was mostly as sarcasm. ;)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Can't hurt, but as Jerry noted above, the recent deal with MC involves only repressing the same titles they'd released in the past. Unless there's some new deal coming up, none of those Indicator titles or any other Fox/Disney titles, will be released by MC.

I think the initial reference to MC in this context/thread was mostly as sarcasm. ;)
Sarcasm ...;)? -.
leslie nielsen shirley GIF by simongibson2000

with a dash of truth ... <_<

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Frankly, I just wish that Mill Creek would start announcing the Fox titles and releasing them in any HD form they'd prefer. Some of my TT Fox discs have already started failing (The Egyptian being the most heartbreaking).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Frankly, I just wish that Mill Creek would start announcing the Fox titles and releasing them in any HD form they'd prefer. Some of my TT Fox discs have already started failing (The Egyptian being the most heartbreaking).

Is there some kinda known issues w/ old Twilight Time BDs?

I don't own that many (and probably none of the particularly early releases), but still probably good to be aware me thinks.

_Man_

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Frankly, I just wish that Mill Creek would start announcing the Fox titles
Do you know something we don't? Or are you just hoping? I'm not aware of any deal between Disney and Mill Creek to release titles from 20th Century Fox's library.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Is there some kinda known issues w/ old Twilight Time BDs?

I don't own that many (and probably none of the particularly early releases), but still probably good to be aware me thinks.

Yes, unfortunately, there have been a number of reports of Twilight Time Blu-rays failing over time due to poor manufacturing.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
From memory , Nick Redman said there were 2 4k scans of The Egyptian . Twilight Time used the latest scan , which has a 5.1 track . 20 th century Fox Japan released it domestically April 2018 from the earlier 4k scan which has a different colour timing ( more pinkish faces than yellow ) but it has Dual Mono Audio track . Youll find its quite serviceable and occasionally pops up on ebay from Japanese sellers. No one equals the pressing quality of japan, just like in the Vinyl era.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Egyptian-Blu-ray/210080/

i have the disc and its 1080p24 AVC encoded , Dual Mono despite what the cover says

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks