What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Expect the unexpected in this off kilter neo-noir, After Dark, My Sweet.

After Dark, My Sweet (1990)

Released: 24 Aug 1990
Rated: R
Runtime: 114 min

Director: James Foley
Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery

Cast: Jason Patric, Rachel Ward, Bruce Dern
Writer(s): Jim Thompson, Robert Redlin, James Foley

Plot: After he escapes from a mental hospital, a former boxer works for a widow. When she asks him to get involved in a kidnapping, he has second thoughts.

IMDB rating: 6.5
MetaScore: 78

Disc Information

Studio: Lionsgate
Distributed By: Kino Lorber
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Audio: English 2.0 DTS-HDMA

Subtitles: English SDH...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's been a long time since I saw this. Probably 1990 or 1991. I just recall it being a funky little, independent noir.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I have always had the opinion that one of the reasons this film never caught on was that it was not backed by a good distributor in those days, such as Miramax or Orion Classics, and instead was distributed by LIVE Entertainment who found themselves awash in debt when Carolco became a major investor (mostly for home video distribution, similar to what The Weinstein Company did to upstart Genius Products in the latter 2000s) and were acquired by Artisan/Lionsgate one year after this film was released.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I have always had the opinion that one of the reasons this film never caught on was that it was not backed by a good distributor in those days, such as Miramax or Orion Classics, and instead was distributed by LIVE Entertainment who found themselves awash in debt when Carolco became a major investor (mostly for home video distribution, similar to what The Weinstein Company did to upstart Genius Products in the latter 2000s) and were acquired by Artisan/Lionsgate one year after this film was released.
I believe you’re correct. The film could have and would have been much better known. It was right in the the wheelhouse for Orion or Miramax at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks