What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Road Map For Fox To Continue To Milk Buffy After S7 (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i was just wondering if people think that Fox is going let Buffy just fade away after S7 is released in Oct
-or if they are going to find some new ways to keep milking this franchise
for instance
maybe an extras disc that would include the original unaired pilot- along with copious outtakes from throughout the series run.

or how about a seperate release for a remaster 16:9/ 5.1 Once More...?
was really disappointed with the a/v presentation of it on he S6 set, so i would more than likely pop for a stand alone upgrade.

also- if you had to pick just one, which would you take
Season 4 or Season 7?
i caught very few eps of each originally, and due to limited shelf space, i'm probably going to go with just one.
i wasn't a big fan of Adam or the 'i don't get along with my roommate' elements (all that i really remember from that season), but then i've also heard that S7 ricochets back to lighter, fluffier Buffy and lacks a cohesive sense of purpose.
any suggestions?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I'd go for Season 4 on the basis that it has one of the best episodes of the series - Hush - and whilst Season 7 does have some strong episodes, there is nothing like this.

There is also a Faith 2 part episode which I thought was really good in Season 4 and the Tara/Willow relationship is first introduced here.

In fact I think there are a lot of stronger episodes in Season 4 than 7. I agree that Adam was quite weak as a villain and I personally would have preferred they kept Professor Walsh. It would certainly have made for a more interesting storyline, given she was human and not a demon and would have probably made Riley's arc a bit more interesting.

And Fox are already finding new (rubbish) ways to milk the franchise by releasing best of themed discs (best of Spike, or Willow or Angel, etc)

Martin_C

Stunt Coordinator
I'd have all of the mainstay writers and cast pick their favorite episodes and do commentary on them. :)

On Season 4 vs. Season 7: I'd recommend getting Season 4. If you look past Adam and Riley (who both weren't that bad in retrospective), there were some amazing episodes. Something Blue, Hush, the Faith Two-Parter and not-to-forget Restless.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
In this news post on 4/17 I explained what the plans were for post-season-set releases:

In the actual article there are links to the overseas versions of these best-of releases, so you can scope them out. Fox will probably just clone them into R1 versions, with little-to-no changes.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

Wasn't that the original plan? I remember reading somewhere that Lindsay Crouse wanted out of the show, so they killed off her character halfway through the season.

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
Yeah in UK they're going to release MORE of those 'best of' discs. This fall they're releasing discs for Giles, Dawn, Cordy and Xander.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I don't think Fox will need any help milking the Buffy franchise. There are others and geeks like myself that will ensure the machine keeps turning. Bring on the best of dvd's, action figures, thong underwear.

... Bring on the Willow S & M fall line of clothing.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
If they are going with the "Best Of" idea, I wonder why they are not doing it for seasons, instead of characters. There are a number of fans who don't like a particular season (4,6, and 7 would be particular ones there), but do like certain episodes.

As for the Season 4 vs. 7 debate, I would go for both. If forced to choose, perhaps season 4, but 7 isn't so bad. The first part and the last part of the season had some very good episodes. It was just the middle part that lagged. This is one case where a season with fewer episodes would have really helped.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Don't count on EVER seeing the Pilot episode. Joss has publically stated on MANY occasions that he hates the pilot episode and would never release it onto DVD?

Honestly, I've seen the Pilot episode and it's nothing worth jeering for ;) hahahah

I am fully expecting Fox to release Seasons 4-7 in "Fox HD-DVD WIDESCREEN" after the coming of HD-DVD. (even though Joss likes the full frame version, I can SO see them milking this again).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if the new life to the Buffy animated series has anything to do with there not being much live-action left to release on DVD. If the season sets of Buffy (and Futurama/Family Guy, and anime) are selling well enough, Fox might figure that the video sales would pay to produce 13 episodes of that each year.

Ryan_Guah

Stunt Coordinator
I'm guessing they'll go forward with themed sets, and then re-release them all in HD-DVD, which I won't buy. I only need one copy, thanks.

I have the pilot episode on VCD, and it isn't anything that great. It's a half hour long, and is just a cut down version of "WTTH", with a different actress playing Willow, Riff Regan: (Screencap from the pilot)

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Just finished watching the X-Files Mythology: Abduction set and it made me think about how I'd love to get some sets like that for Buffy and Angel. I'll probably pick up the character theme discs, any new news on them? I haven't heard anything but could've easily overlooked the news.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks