What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I must be one of the few who found many things to like in the Criterion release of "LHTH". One reviewer had complained that Tierney's lips looked more chestnut than red but, on my monitor, they're bright red. I guess we all see things differently. As we may never see a perfect transfer to home video, I'll take the Criterion disc.
LHtH was one of the best of the group and the least offensive.

Each was different, and go into the they are what they are category.

RobertMG

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Sorry, but Drums is contrasty garbage. Best thing that might be said about it is that it is. None of these films look anything like Technicolor.

If you’re talking about Fox Technicolor syndication prints from the late ‘60s into the ‘70s, they were dye transfer 16mm, and were beautiful.

Those prints looked nothing like the mid-‘40s prints.
Thank U RAH!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Sorry, but Drums is contrasty garbage. Best thing that might be said about it is that it is. None of these films look anything like Technicolor.

If you’re talking about Fox Technicolor syndication prints from the late ‘60s into the ‘70s, they were dye transfer 16mm, and were beautiful.

Those prints looked nothing like the mid-‘40s prints.
I’m confused about which prints you are referring to, and your opinion of each.

It sounds like you said the syndication prints from the 60s/70s were beautiful, but that they look nothing like the 40s prints.

Do you mean to say the 40s prints were not beautiful?

In standard conversation, beautiful is good, and nothing like beautiful implies ugly (or not good)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert

It sounds like you said the syndication prints from the 60s/70s were beautiful, but that they look nothing like the 40s prints.

In standard conversation, beautiful is good, and nothing like beautiful implies ugly (or not good)
Can't something be beautiful in two different ways? Those TV 16mm prints that many of us grew up watching back in the day looked nice, but were far from being representative of those 30s and 40s prints that really showed off the Technicolor process.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

They’re beautiful in different ways. The syndication and re-issue prints had no silver record.

RobertMG

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
LHtH was one of the best of the group and the least offensive.

Each was different, and go into the they are what they are category.
Do you know why 1945s "State Fair" looks so good compared to other Fox films from the era? "Wilson" is a disaster!

RobertMG

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Do you know why 1945s "State Fair" looks so good compared to other Fox films from the era? "Wilson" is a disaster!
Please define “looks good.”

Film?

Digital?

specificity.
Speaking about the 60th Anniversary DVD of State Fair and Wilson so I assume digital State Fair looks fairly spectacular WIlson is a color nightmare

RobertMG

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Zero reason for Wilson to be a "color nightmare."
Really baffling how every so often u get a Fox film from the 40;s that looks fairly correct color wise and yet another looks like a mess

Last edited:

RobertMG

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Zero reason for Wilson to be a "color nightmare."

And the point of directing readers to a presumably pirate Russian website is what, precisely?
Did not know will delete them BUT that are the prints used on the dvds STATE FAIR looks like real Technicolor Wilson like colorization. I have them on dvd and looks the same.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Did not know will delete them BUT that is the prints used on the dvds STATE FAIR looks like real Technicolor Wilson like colorization
I don't mean to be obtuse, but "prints" have little to do with whatever the discussion references. And DVDs have zero meaning, represent nothing, and highly compressed media on foreign websites has less than zero impact on anything.

Wilson is a wonderful film. Aeons ago, I had the opportunity to discuss it with Mr. Knox. Allowed permission and requisite funding, a lovely DCP could be created. I'm seeing very few obstacles.

I would suggest that if a film interests you, that you not become bogged down with video references.

RobertMG

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I don't mean to be obtuse, but "prints" have little to do with whatever the discussion references. And DVDs have zero meaning, represent nothing, and highly compressed media on foreign websites has less than zero impact on anything.

Wilson is a wonderful film. Aeons ago, I had the opportunity to discuss it with Mr. Knox. Allowed permission and requisite funding, a lovely DCP could be created. I'm seeing very few obstacles.
Thank you for your patience, I really am not knowledgeable on tech end of film and prints etc as you can see, yes I admit it. I am proud of my love of film history etc though. You and the rest of the great community here are teaching me a ton of stuff! If I were leading the Fox assets I would try to get as many original Technicolor prints I could get access to around the world and try to get copies of them to improve the quality of the Fox film heritage - might be a dumb sounding idea again I admit it but worth a shot. Another brain scratcher is "Jesse James" a let down on video yet "The Return Of Frank James" looks like night and day. Shirley Temples "The Blue Bird" looks stunning in color as does "The Little Princess" I remember when Fox announced they found a color print on that one. I also love the brief Technicolor ending of "The Little Colonel" I remember when the VHS came out and I did not watch the film to the end - so I called Leonard Maltin and asked him if the scene was lost he said "It's there u have to watch the tape till the end" so I have made boo boos over the years!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thank you for your patience, I really am not knowledgeable on tech end of film and prints etc as you can see, yes I admit it. I am proud of my love of film history etc though. You and the rest of the great community here are teaching me a ton of stuff! If I were leading the Fox assets I would try to get as many original Technicolor prints I could get access to around the world and try to get copies of them to improve the quality of the Fox film heritage - might be a dumb sounding idea again I admit it but worth a shot. Another brain scratcher is "Jesse James" a let down on video yet "The Return Of Frank James" looks like night and day. Shirley Temples "The Blue Bird" looks stunning in color as does "The Little Princess" I remember when Fox announced they found a color print on that one. I also love the brief Technicolor ending of "The Little Colonel" I remember when the VHS came out and I did not watch the film to the end - so I called Leonard Maltin and asked him if the scene was lost he said "It's there u have to watch the tape till the end" so I have made boo boos over the years!
None of these comments are personal. They merely relay facts.

I've already gone the print route for Fox. Researched, and tested.

The Little Princess has never been missing. Original prints are available.

The individual pushing for the preservation of the Fox nitrate library was Schawn Belston, a superb executive, who is no longer with Disney.

If Disney desired to save the Fox library, it's a relatively easy task.

Here's an early test taking a shot back toward it's original silver record appearance.

r402_chan_swap_000004.jpg

r402_chan_swap_shipcmyk.jpg

RobertMG

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
None of these comments are personal. They merely relay facts.

I've already gone the print route for Fox. Researched, and tested.

The Little Princess has never been missing. Original prints are available.

The individual pushing for the preservation of the Fox nitrate library was Schawn Belston, a superb executive, who is no longer with Disney.

If Disney desired to save the Fox library, it's a relatively easy task.

Here's an early test taking a shot back toward it's original silver record appearance.

View attachment 102361

View attachment 102362
Wow looks stunning. You mentioned Blood And Sand 41' what was the outcome on that film?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quirkyorc
Recent bookmarks