What's new

Does Anyone Know If Fox Had a Original Technicolor Print Of The Black Swan? (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Without disc or digital revenue there is little motivation for the Disney bean counters to see that those Fox titles survive period.
Frustrating! Mr C maybe u saw my post about 1951s classic Scrooge starring Alastair Sim, VCI had the USA vid rights for decades and they took such great care of the film. They had the film through Fox and lost the film when Fox sold to Disney. Disney has ZERO interest in a 1951 Brit film not produced by them so the film is in limbo. VCI has tried to reach out to Disney to get the film back but the House of Mouse is just too big. I asked Leonard Maltin because he knows both VCI and he continues his work with Disney he was kind enough to pass it along to a contact he knows so who knows.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
My Friend Flicka looks stunning when aired on Fox Movie Channel - wonder if Fox has masters on this title.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
My Friend Flicka looks stunning when aired on Fox Movie Channel - wonder if Fox has masters on this title.
Recorded it on MOVIES! 6am today and it looked wonderful!

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I thought Disney cared so little about its own past library except for the animated films and Mary Poppins that why should they care about Fox? And then they go and release recently something like Monkeys Go Home on bluray. Bizarre.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
You do know that Fox released this on Blu-ray back in 2013, and it's still available on Amazon and such?
This one is in my collection, Fox did a fair job, and it is a fun romp!! And the pairing of Tyrone Power and Maurene OHara, not to mention Anthony Quinn and George Saunders was definatly fun!!

Attachments

• BLACK SWAN.jpg
    BLACK SWAN.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 673219684_orig.jpg
    673219684_orig.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 25
  • the-black-swan-1942-3_orig.jpg
    the-black-swan-1942-3_orig.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 27

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Can't something be beautiful in two different ways? Those TV 16mm prints that many of us grew up watching back in the day looked nice, but were far from being representative of those 30s and 40s prints that really showed off the Technicolor process.
Those 16mm prints were beautiful. I inspected and approved many of the new answer prints when I was at WB.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Those 16mm prints were beautiful. I inspected and approved many of the new answer prints when I was at WB.
Wonder if any original print of GWTW is viewable for mass consumption others too like they had film series and retrospectives

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Summers through HS, then college and a bit after. C. 1960-69.
Thank you -- you learned from some of the best in the industry. I posted today a thread on Flynn's sad lost epic The Adventures of William Tell - wikipeida wrongly says the existing footage is in Boston I was told it is at UCLA and can now only be seen by students - have you ever seen the footage?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thank you -- you learned from some of the best in the industry. I posted today a thread on Flynn's sad lost epic The Adventures of William Tell - wikipeida wrongly says the existing footage is in Boston I was told it is at UCLA and can now only be seen by students - have you ever seen the footage?
I have not. I’m unaware that it was ever cut together in any form.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
So Belston is no longer with Disney which isn’t good news for film lovers wanting to see Fox titles on disc.
Not good news for anyone desiring to see the Fox titles survive - period.

Disc is nothing more than a pleasant extra.
Without disc or digital revenue there is little motivation for the Disney bean counters to see that those Fox titles survive period.
It’s stuff like this that baffles and relegates me to my novice status. If the purchasing goals of Disney were not inclusive of preservation, restoration, re-distribution, et al - and not to mention the Internet questions of whether the 20th Century-Fox library will ever seei the light of day in any form - then why the acquisition?

Surely Disneys monies spent must have been with an eye towards a greater future of returns, right?

P.S. Wish there had been a BD of Wilson.

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I have not. I’m unaware that it was ever cut together in any form.
This is what I got ---- wonder how Mr Cardiff would have done with the subject and the star -- sad that Bruce Cabot wound up suing Mr Flynn - ruined their frienship and added to the films woes

Subject: Re: William Tell

Hi thank you for the interest. The film is permanently assigned to the UCLA school of film. There is only 22min of film and no sound track. This film is for students to view.

Thank you for your interest

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...If the purchasing goals of Disney were not inclusive of preservation, restoration, re-distribution, et al - and not to mention the Internet questions of whether the 20th Century-Fox library will ever seei the light of day in any form - then why the acquisition?

Surely Disneys monies spent must have been with an eye towards a greater future of returns, right?
So they can own properties like Avatar, Alien, Die Hard, Planet of the Apes, X-Men etc. and make new movies, television shows and merchandise from them. It wasn't to release 80-year old films that 99.9% percent of the population has ever heard of and have no interest in.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
So they can own properties like Avatar, Alien, Die Hard, Planet of the Apes, X-Men etc. and make new movies, television shows and merchandise from them. It wasn't to release 80-year old films that 99.9% percent of the population has ever heard of and have no interest in.
the grinch GIF

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It’s a smaller world, after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks