What's new

Pre-Order Reservoir Dogs (1992) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I like the contrasts and how sharp the picture is, but it looks to me the flesh tones are on the pink side.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I don’t have the disc, but I do have the 4K digital and it looks a little off to me. Aside from the colours, there seems to be some grain reduction as well as sharpening here. It has a very ‘digital’ look. No film released in 1992 looked like this In the cinema.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don’t have the disc, but I do have the 4K digital and it looks a little off to me. Aside from the colours, there seems to be some grain reduction as well as sharpening here. It has a very ‘digital’ look. No film released in 1992 looked like this In the cinema.

Your viewpoint is right on par with what I thought. Film looks pretty, that's for sure.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I watched this today and thought it looked fantastic.

It was so detailed and colorful, from the red blood down to Mr. Blonde's stubble and Mr. Pink's sweat.
Best it's ever looked. And I actually saw it theatrically up on release, not that I remember what skin tones looked like from 30 years ago. But this version doesn't betray what I remember seeing in any way.

The skin tones are a little more pronounced in 4k, but they don't look off to me. Harvey Keitel looks more tan than everyone else, but the film is set in sunny southern california, and he's the only one who feels like a native Californian. Roth and Buscemi are on the pale side, and everyone else looks fine.

I wasn't drawn out of the movie by oversaturated colors or odd skin tones at all. Now Mr. Orange
reciting his lengthy backstory on the other hand kills the momentum of the film for me everytime, but it recovers nicely with the naming scene.

In the other thread someone mentioned that this looks like a scan of the spherical OCN rather than a scan of the anamorphically converted release print. That sounds like a reasonable explanation of why this version looks cleaner.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Harvey Keitel looks more tan than everyone else, but the film is set in sunny southern california, and he's the only one who feels like a native Californian.
Then why does he like the Milwaukee Brewers? ;)

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Watched the disc tonight. Looks terrific on my screen. There might be a slight red push, but it really only seemed overdone in a couple of brief instances.

Unfortunately, my copy freezes at 50:21 on my OPPO 203. I assume that's the layer change. I can fast forward through it, but if I try to play the scene at regular speed it gets stuck. I tried cleaning the disc and clearing the player's persistent storage, but nothing works.

Anyone else have playback issues with this one? I'll contact Amazon about getting an exchange and hope for the best.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Watched the disc tonight. Looks terrific on my screen. There might be a slight red push, but it really only seemed overdone in a couple of brief instances.

Unfortunately, my copy freezes at 50:21 on my OPPO 203. I assume that's the layer change. I can fast forward through it, but if I try to play the scene at regular speed it gets stuck. I tried cleaning the disc and clearing the player's persistent storage, but nothing works.

Anyone else have playback issues with this one? I'll contact Amazon about getting an exchange and hope for the best.
No issues with my Oppo 203.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt

My disc played fine (I have a Sony that’s about 2 years old).

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Usually can fix this with a little cloth-cleaning,

Already tried that. No improvement, sadly.

The disc freezes up every time at exactly 50:21. What's weird is that if I start fast-forwarding around 50:15, it will let me go right past it. By fast-forwarding and then backing up, I can resume playback starting at about 50:23 with no further issues. But in that two second interval, the disc will not progress at normal playback speed.

Normally in cases like this, when I hit a freeze, that's it. The player won't get past it by any means.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks