What's new

Pre-Order Reservoir Dogs (1992) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Remember when DVD put out different colors on the jacket? I'll keep my BROWN one!

Yup. I remember that one of the covers was supposedly rarer than the others (was it the Brown one?). I made a point of hunting that down, thinking it would be worth something some day.

No such luck. I'm pretty sure I eventually traded it in at the now-defunct MovieStop chain for $1 in store credit.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Yes, the movie was a low-budget production, but it was shot mostly in a single tightly-controlled environment (very few exteriors or natural light) with a very high-contrast, hard lighting style. The movie was sharp, low grain, and had intense colors in the theater.

Andrzej Sekula lit the hell out of that warehouse. The heat must have been nearly unbearable in there. I bet the actors needed to be mopped down between takes.

To this point, when watching the other night, I noticed at least one close-up of Chris Penn visibly sweating, not motivated by the plot of the scene. I believe it was one of the flashbacks in Joe's office.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
To this point, when watching the other night, I noticed at least one close-up of Chris Penn visibly sweating, not motivated by the plot of the scene. I believe it was one of the flashbacks in Joe's office.
He'd just been wrestling with Vic Vega. :)

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Unfortunately, my copy freezes at 50:21 on my OPPO 203. I assume that's the layer change. I can fast forward through it, but if I try to play the scene at regular speed it gets stuck. I tried cleaning the disc and clearing the player's persistent storage, but nothing works.

Anyone else have playback issues with this one? I'll contact Amazon about getting an exchange and hope for the best.

Quick follow-up on this. I got an replacement copy from Amazon that plays through the 50:21 mark without issue. So this does seem to be a disc defect issue, not an endemic compatibility problem between this disc and player.

That said, I only tested that specific portion of the movie. I haven't played it all the way through to verify this copy doesn't glitch anywhere else.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
Watched the disc tonight. Looks terrific on my screen. There might be a slight red push, but it really only seemed overdone in a couple of brief instances.

Unfortunately, my copy freezes at 50:21 on my OPPO 203. I assume that's the layer change. I can fast forward through it, but if I try to play the scene at regular speed it gets stuck. I tried cleaning the disc and clearing the player's persistent storage, but nothing works.

Anyone else have playback issues with this one? I'll contact Amazon about getting an exchange and hope for the best.
I have the 203 and the disc played fine, no freeze.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks