What's new

Pre-Order Reservoir Dogs (1992) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Finally! The horrible DNR'd mess that has been around on the blu-ray and streaming channels, since it was first released in Hi-def, will finally be watchable on anything larger than an iPhone screen. Reservoir Dogs has never had a decent home theatre release. The Live Home Video LaserDisc was released with both matted and open framing and had one of the worse side-breaks in the history of LaserDiscs.

How do we know Lionsgate won't just recycle a dated master for this release? The studio hasn't given the film a good release on physical media at all - why now? Serious question.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
How do we know Lionsgate won't just recycle a dated master for this release? The studio hasn't given the film a good release on physical media at all - why now? Serious question.
I don't see how you could recycle a dated 1080p master for a 4K UHD release, given you'd probably want to do an HDR pass.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Finally! The horrible DNR'd mess that has been around on the blu-ray and streaming channels, since it was first released in Hi-def, will finally be watchable on anything larger than an iPhone screen. Reservoir Dogs has never had a decent home theatre release. The Live Home Video LaserDisc was released with both matted and open framing and had one of the worse side-breaks in the history of LaserDiscs.

The people using this thread to immediately start clamouring for other Quentin Tarantino titles, are doing it a disservice. This was such an iconic debut. Few bothered to see it theatrically in the States, but it received huge critical acclaim in Europe, especially in the UK. I travelled both to Stockholm and to London to see it theatrically, as it took a long to get a theatrical release in Norway. In fact, the LaserDisc was released in the US, before it arrived in cinemas here. So I projected it for all my fellow students with the university's spanking new state-of-the-art Barco projector in the prestigious Dept. of Anatomy auditorium. I still have the original theatrical one-sheet - the British one, which was way better than the US one.

And the BBFC refused a classification for home video until 1995, so it received a prolonged theatrical life in the UK, which delighted Quentin Tarantino.
Watched the Blu-ray not too long ago after waiting for something better for ages - it was one of the more painful viewing experiences of the last couple of years.

I agree that it was a stunning debut and it should be considered on its own merits.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Amazon placeholders though not available for preorder as of yet. Will create a new thread when that happens. One of the links is to a SteelBook version.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Internet leak of supposed Best Buy Exclusive Steelbook 11/15

reservoir.png

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hmmmm- not crazy about that cover. A photo of all the gangsters sitting in a group
(at the restaurant in the opening scene) would have been a better choice.

Yeah, I was not pleased with that cover art either.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
As Bill Hunt says: "Don't complain about the cover art. Just be really, really glad you're getting a physical 4K UHD at all".
As I said in another thread about another movie: Producing a UHD release is the hard work, much harder than doing our own custom cover art.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks